Community Message Boards

Thread: Is swiss chard a perrenial?

Is swiss chard a perrenial?

reminded me to ask when I was the the other swiss chard thread. My plant keeps coming back, but I seem to recall it was bitter. Should it just be pulled out and replanted?

TIA

Laurie

Technically, it's a biennial. In moderate climates, it will produce chard the second year- as well as seed, and often times it will re-seed itself, creating the illusion of a perennial.

I can't get it to survive through the winter here, so for me it's an annual, but I would expect that the second year when it puts out it's flower and seed that it could be bitter- most greens turn bitter once the flowers appear.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I grow chard in the cool months. By late May/early June it's pretty much done. When it flowers I yank it. Easier to plant fresh each fall.

greens like chard, kale and mustard greens actually have better flavor when grown in the cooler months-- it perks up their flavor.

wish I had the garden here i had in Indy-- i could grow right into Nov.

Most summers we can grow chard from April through October with row covers in spring and fall to guard against late or early snow and frost. We keep harvesting individual leaves just like lettuce, collards, and kale. We can't overwinter it. If we get a long warm spell sometimes the red chard (but not the other colors, strange) will go it seed and then it stops making new leaves and gets bitter. I think our long days fool the plants, I've had carrots go to seed occasionally.
    Anne