Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with leftover pork roast?

Question What to do with leftover pork roast?

I made a pork sirloin roast a few days ago and it was wonderful, but I have nearly a pound left and have no idea what to do with it! It's sliced into very thin (1/8" to 1/4") slices, and I don't want to just heat 'n serve! Any ideas for this very lean pork sirloin besides sandwiches?? Thanks!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

How about fajitas or tacos? Saute some veggies, throw the meat in with them to warm through, toss 'em in a tortilla (with maybe some big ole chunks of tomato ) and there ya go! Gosh, sounds pretty awesome to me........

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Make a big ol' pot of chile!

Ya - with lots of chunky tomatoes!!

I have made the Asian Pork Salad posted by ElinorC, using left over pork. How about the Pork and Rice Noodle Salad with Lemon-Coconut Dressing-CL-4/01, or maybe a stir-fry.

Yummy Mushu

I just made this with leftover pork tenderloin and it was great.

Mindless Mushu Pork
    (clipped from a newspaper years ago... don't know source)

About 3/4 lb. pork loin, cut into thin strips
    2 tsp. peanut oil
    1 small onion, cut into 1/4 inch crescents
    1 pkg. (8 oz) sliced mushrooms
    1/2 tsp. chopped ginger (or to taste)
    1/2 tsp. minced garlic (or to taste)
    2 pkgs. (8 oz each) coleslaw mix
    1/2 cup sliced scallions
    1/4 cup dry sherry or vermouth
    2 tsp. cornstarch
    1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
    2 tsp. dark sesame oil
    8 small (8-inch) flour tortillas
    Hoisin sauce

Heat the peanut oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Toss in the onion slices and mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes, until the mushrooms begin to release their liquid.
    Add the garlic, ginger and coleslaw mix and stir fry for a few minutes. Add the scallions and the cooked pork. (If you're doing this w/uncooked pork, put the pork in with the mushrooms and onions first to let it cook a bit). Stir a bit.
    Combine the sherry and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the skillet along with the soy sauce and sesame oil. Cook just until the mixture thickens, about 1 minute.
    Just before serving, nuke the tortillas to warm them through. To serve, spread about 1/2 tsp. of hoisin sauce on the tortilla and top with 1/2 cup of the mushu filling. Roll up and enjoy! Serves 4 - 6.

Originally posted by SandyM
    Ya - with lots of chunky tomatoes!!
    ....tryin' to ruin my appetite Sandy???

Hate to say I agree with the little smart aleck, but the Fajitas are winning right now! I'd forgotten about using pork in Mexican food, and also forgot that I could 'recook' the pork for a few minutes in a skillet...hmmmm. That could work! Thanks Sandy!

It's got a bit of a balsamic vinegar and thyme glaze on it right now, but that shouldn't matter, right??

LittleBit, I've never heard of Pork used in chili...how in the world would I do that?

My mind immediately went to BBQ pulled pork sandwiches.

YUM!!!

Maybe it's because I'll be in New Orleans for four glorious days starting tomorrow!!!

WOO HOO...fabulous food..HERE I COME!!

JeAnne

Originally posted by greysangel
    My mind immediately went to BBQ pulled pork sandwiches.

YUM!!!

Maybe it's because I'll be in New Orleans for four glorious days starting tomorrow!!!

WOO HOO...fabulous food..HERE I COME!!

JeAnne
    Yum! I'd second that.... I would put some of my barbeque rub on that pork -the one that I use for Ribs, then make up my homemade bbq sauce, get some great buns, and serve hot with sauce!!!!Oh, my I'm gonna have to go buy me a pork roast.....
    A side of my special beans, and roasted potato and red pepper salad.
    Oh, my...
    wiping off my keyboard drool.....

Would you two quit making me hungry for pulled pork??? This roast is cut into 1/8" slices! Couldn't pull it very far!

Besides, I'm trying to stay away from sandwiches 'cause we're goin' to the FAIR tomorrow and I'll be junk fooding it there big time! Come on, Browneye, DO THE PUYALLUP!! Got an Elephant Ear with your name on it just waitin' for ya!!

JeAnne, have a blast in Nawlins!!!

Originally posted by Jewel
    Would you two quit making me hungry for pulled pork??? This roast is cut into 1/8" slices! Couldn't pull it very far!

Besides, I'm trying to stay away from sandwiches 'cause we're goin' to the FAIR tomorrow and I'll be junk fooding it there big time! Come on, Browneye, DO THE PUYALLUP!! Got an Elephant Ear with your name on it just waitin' for ya!!

LOL Jewel, I haven't been to the Puyallup in several years- now that the guys are older, I just haven't gone there. Guess I'll have to get up the nerve to fight the crowds!!!! EEK....
    I tried to find information on entering some foods in the fair, but wasn't too successful. The Monroe fair, on the other hand had lots of opportunities but I missed the deadlines.... Oh well.
    Have fun and sample some eats for me!

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Hi Jewel,

For the chile, I'd just substitute the pork, all chopped up, for whatever meat you'd usually use in a pot of chile. I've seen lots of recipes that make a big deal of using meat cut in chunks, not ground up meats, and have tried using leftover roasts, cut in pieces, many times. Depending on the meat, it can sometimes disintegrate into shreds, or not. I think it's a nice way to use up the tail end of a roast that's lost its' charm as a main dish in itself.

I've seen so many recipes for chile variations that call for meats (or tofu) besides ground or diced beef that it isn't really such a stretch, culinarily speaking. Hope this helps!

But I must say, BBQ sounds mighty tasty, LOL!

Besides fajitas, what about enchiladas or burritos...just chop it up, add some mexican spices (or don't...Californian restaurants have lots of regular burritos with asian teriyaki sauce in them)? Salads, traditional or noodle come to mind. Chili or soup sounds good too...especially something creamy, like potato.

YUMMY!!
    Feeling lucky in this life.....

pork pork pork

put that pork in a skillet with some red wine, mushrooms, garlic, season salt, simmer
    until its tender, then fold in sour cream, pour over some cooked extra wide egg noodles
    whip it in the oven on 325 for about 15 minutes until bubbly
    and you've got....Pork Stroganoff...or..something really good anyway . I do this with
    chicken too.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish
    and you will be cleaning fish for the rest of your life"-unknown

Sue In Marne

Browneye...

have I missed your bowl of side bean recipe?? Please post it if you have time or give me the thread?? TIA
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Ditto on the pulled pork idea. Shred it and heat with your favorite bbq sauce and some spices. I'm actually planning to do this with leftover pork tenderloin tonight. Yum!