Community Message Boards

Thread: How do I cook a whole fresh ham?

How do I cook a whole fresh ham?

My sister was given a fresh ham. She's bringing it to my house for Thanksgiving as she needs many more people to eat it. DH thinks we should smoke it, though I have no idea how. I'm used to the nice spiral cut hams that you just warm up. I'm looking for ideas and advice as I have never cooked one before and don't want to mess it up.

Thanks!!
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

Fresh hams are basically a bone-in pork roast, so if you have a favorite recipe for roast, that's a great way to go.

The spiral sliced hams you're used to have been cured first, then smoked. Just smoking a fresh ham won't give you the same product - it'll be a little bit more like pulled pork (if you cook it long enough, until it gets roughly 195-200 internal and the meat frees up from the bone). It would still be good, but it would be a smoked pork roast in flavor.

Michelle

Thanks, that seems to be what I'm finding on the internet regarding fresh ham. I wonder if I could take part of it and make pulled pork, too. It looks huge! My sister sent me a picture of it, filling up the entire shelf in her freezer.

I'm a bit disappointed because I like the cured ham taste better. That's why I'm concerned about cooking it correctly.
    How long would it need to be smoked? Is this something done slowly overnight? DH mostly uses the smoker for venison jerky and I've never used it myself for anything.

I tore these fresh ham recipes out of a Fine Cooking issue and saved them because it all looked so good! Even ideas for leftovers, should you have any.

Fine Cooking Fresh Ham recipes

Quote Originally Posted by MrsReber View Post
    My sister was given a fresh ham. She's bringing it to my house for Thanksgiving as she needs many more people to eat it. DH thinks we should smoke it, though I have no idea how. I'm used to the nice spiral cut hams that you just warm up. I'm looking for ideas and advice as I have never cooked one before and don't want to mess it up.

Thanks!!
    Don't smoke it!! What you have is one of the best pork roasts ever. Bear in mind, this is a 15+ year vegetarian talking...

My mom used to make these for Sunday dinners, so I called her and asked how to cook it for you. here is her wisdom:

The fresh ham is the same cut as ham, obviously, but uncured/not smoked. It is best treated like a pork roast...
    if the rind of fat is very thick, you can cut some off, but leave some and score it. Put the roast in a large pan in the oven, along with some sliced onions and quartered potatoes and carrots if desired, and roast at 425 degrees for 20-30 minutes or so to brown a bit, then add a little chicken broth and water and reduce heat to 350. Cook till meat is tender and fat is browned. Use cooking times for pork/per pound, if you have a chart on hand.

(Pork is supposed to be cooked to a minimum internal temp of 145 F before meat is removed from heat. Be sure to let the roast rest at least several minutes before carving for safety, and I'd recommend a good 10-15 minutes of rest to keep it juicy.)

You can use water and a partial packet of onion soup mix if you like, or add fresh garlic cloves to the pan after initial browning.

That's it! it's easy and is sooo delicious. The vegetables soak up so much flavor.

Thanks for the link. It has some interesting information in addition to the recipes.

On another site, one person suggested using garlic and lime under the skin and dousing it in mojo creole. I'm tempted. I'm still on the fence with the smoking/baking part.

Yes, I'm getting the feeling that this ham is actually a very good thing. I don't cook pork all that often, aside from tenderloin or making pulled pork sandwiches in the crockpot.

Roasting it sounds really good. My only issue is not having enough oven space as we are supposed to be getting a turkey, too. Maybe we'll get a tiny turkey?

Yes, I'm getting the feeling that this ham is actually a very good thing. I don't cook pork all that often, aside from tenderloin or making pulled pork sandwiches in the crockpot.

Roasting it sounds really good. My only issue is not having enough oven space as we are supposed to be getting a turkey, too. Maybe we'll get a tiny turkey?
    you can do a turkey breast in the crockpot, right?

I could maybe do that. I'll have to check with everyone, though. Don't want any folks disappointed that there's no drumsticks! When it's just us for Thanksgiving, I only make a turkey breast in the crockpot. It comes out great that way.

I don't have any advice about the ham, I just wanted to say HI!!! We haven't seen you 'round these parts lately! Welcome back!
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

Do you have LARGE roaster? Maybe borrow one? My mon liked to make the fresh ham, too. Delicious roasted. I saw one at Meijer the other day, and I was tempted.
    Last edited by vbak; 11-18-2011 at 03:12 PM.

How long would it need to be smoked? Is this something done slowly overnight? DH mostly uses the smoker for venison jerky and I've never used it myself for anything.
    I'd do it as a roast, too. Smoking is going to depend on the smoker temp (usually 225-250) and the weight of the ham. When I do pork butt for pulled pork it takes around 1 1/2 hours per pound. The last 11 pounder I did took 20 hours. I don't know your smoker, but you'd need to make absolutely sure the fire didn't go out overnight. I use a remote alarm for our BGE, and I don't get a lot of sleep on overnight cooks.

I have to agree with Mari (and her mom) - cook it like a roast, especially if you're doing it for a traditional holiday meal and it will be amazing (and let us know what time to be there for dinner )

(and I also found this old thread http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ad.php?t=86914 )

Michelle

Just got my December CL, flipped it open, and wah-lah!!

Maple-Mustard Glazed Fresh Ham

Fresh ham is different from the cured ham you may be used to. It's juicy, full of rich pork flavor, and much less salty—a wonderful special-occasion roast. Serve with Brussels sprouts and mashed sweet potatoes.

Maple-Mustard Glazed Fresh Ham Photo by: Photo: Johnny Autry; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross

YIELD: Serves 16 (serving size: 3 ounces ham)
    HANDS-ON:1 Hour, 10 Minutes
    TOTAL:11 Hours, 45 Minutes
    COURSE: Main Dishes

Ingredients

2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons ground coriander
    2 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
    1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 (10-pound) shank portion, bone-in fresh ham, skin removed
    Cooking spray
    1/3 cup maple syrup
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Preparation

1. Combine the first 6 ingredients in a small bowl. Score outside of ham in a diamond pattern; rub with spice mixture. Cover and chill overnight.

2. Remove the ham from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 1 hour.

3. Preheat oven to 425°.

4. Arrange ham, fat side up, on rack of a roasting pan coated with cooking spray, and place rack in pan. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° (do not remove ham from oven); bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours.

5. Combine maple syrup, Dijon mustard, and butter. Turn ham, fat side down. Bake an additional 40 minutes, basting with syrup mixture every 20 minutes. Turn ham again. Baste with the remaining syrup mixture, and bake an additional 35 minutes or until a thermometer inserted close to bone registers 145°. Let stand for 20 minutes; remove excess fat, and slice.
    Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving

Calories: 358
    Fat: 14.3g
    Saturated fat: 5.3g
    Monounsaturated fat: 6.1g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
    Protein: 46.9g
    Carbohydrate: 7.3g
    Fiber: 0.2g
    Cholesterol: 140mg
    Iron: 2.4mg
    Sodium: 381mg
    Calcium: 26mg

Cooking Light DECEMBER 2011
    Stacy

Hi
    Oh you will love fresh ham! It is so rich tasting and different from the smoked ham.
    We always have for Xmas Eve Pernil al Horno (Fresh ham). I believe you can search in the BB and find it Gail if I recall posted her CUban version which is great.
    Basically we marinate it with garlic olive oil vinegar oregano cumin salt pepper (depending on the size of the meat). I don't poke my pork but remove some not all of the fat layer and score it so the marinate gets a bit under. Its cooked at 350 several hrs depending on again the size of the pork.
    Unfortunatelly in Maryland I find shoulder not the fresh ham butt (back leg of pig) until the holidays.

I also saw CL Dec has a nice recipe.
    If you cannot find a recipe let me know and I can type my recipe later .
    I usually marinate my pork 2 days.

Vanessa

Quote Originally Posted by Missi View Post
    I don't have any advice about the ham, I just wanted to say HI!!! We haven't seen you 'round these parts lately! Welcome back!
    Thanks- I haven't been on in a very long time after meeting with some hostile newbies on the other stuff board. I do come back for advice now and then because I know there's a lot of knowledge here.

I didn't even think to look in my CL. I know I saw it come in the mail. After reading this, I will do a roast. I tried doing a search on the boards, but I can't search for "ham" because the word is too short. It ignores it in the search!

And thanks for the advice. I am sure I'll be looking back here once the ham arrives!

EFlavorful Pork Roast
    1 (8 lb.) pork loin roast
    1 t. dried fennel seeds, rubbed
    2 t. salt
    1/4 t. pepper
    1/2 t. oregano
    1/2 dried bay leaf
    1/8 p. nutmeg
    1/8 t. ground cloves
    2 T. parsley
    1 t. minced dried onion
    1 clove garlic

Place roast, fat side up, on rack in open pan.
    Mix remaining ingredients with fingers.
    Make flavor pockets in roast with knife.
    Place 1/2 t. mix in each pocket and press deep.
    Rub remaining flavor mixture over roast.
    Roast meat, uncovered at 325 allowing about 40 min. per lb. until meat thermometer registers 170.
    Remove roast from oven about 20 min. before serving.
    Make gravy with drippings in pan.

veryone has a favorite. My suggestion is as these :

I have made this recipe from Esquire for my last two Christmas dinners. It was SO good. Truly, one of the best meals I have made and very easy.

http://www.esquire.com/features/guy-...am-recipe-0909