Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO spicy non-mayo coleslaw

ISO spicy non-mayo coleslaw

I have been searching in vain for a recipe to duplicate Whole Foods Firecracker coleslaw. I am generally not fond of coleslaw but this one is quite spicy (has jalapeno in it) and was a perfect low cal but filling snack for me. I have been seaching the internet and cookbooks and none of the recipes I have come across seem quite right. I think I will probably just need to experiment but I was hoping for a good basic recipe to start with....I am thinking little oil (I don't care for sesame oil which many of those I have looked at have)and lime juice, etc. I do remember that the ingredient list of the WF cole slaw also had a hot sauce included ( think it was called Frank's hot sauce).

Any suggestions or recipes appreciated! The WF coleslaw is seasonal and currently unavailable...I meant to look at the ingredient list before the summer ended but forgot.
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

Could this be it? Or similar enough for you to tweak?
    From CDKitchen.

Whole Foods' website lists a Firecracker Chicken Salad recipe that has coleslaw, maybe it's got the same dressing?

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2591

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

"I saw the sign for “Firecracker Coleslaw” at Whole Foods Lakewood, I immediately took notice. I love coleslaw, and I love spice, so this was potentially a match made in heaven.

The slaw began initially with a somewhat traditional flavor. Crunchy cabbage mixed with a light mustard vinaigrette. This was followed quickly by a noticeable kick, courtesy of fresh jalapenos and jalapeno juices. The subtle blend of sweet and spicy made for a great side dish to accompany the grandest of holiday picnics."

Source - http://dallasvegan.com/blog/whole-fo...acker-coleslaw
    -----------------------------------
    Firecracker Coleslaw

serves 6-8 as a side

1 bag pre-cut classic coleslaw
    2 large carrots, cut in matchsticks or grated
    1 red bell pepper, cut in matchsticks
    1/2 small red onion, sliced very thin

Dressing:
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/3 cup white sugar
    2 tablespoons jalapeno pickling juice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
    1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 tablespoons olive oil

Chop all of the vegetables and toss in a large bowl.
    In another bowl whisk all of the dressing ingredients together.
    Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss so that everything is evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least three hours.
    You can make this coleslaw as soon as three hours before serving or up to twenty-four hours in advance. Before serving drain off excess liquid and reserve a quarter cup of it to pour over the finished salad. Discard the rest of the liquid.

Source: http://itsnoteasyeatinggreen.wordpre...cker-coleslaw/
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Quote Originally Posted by SDCook56 View Post
    Could this be it? Or similar enough for you to tweak?
    From CDKitchen.
    Yum - that one does look tasty. I'm making burgers for NYE and was looking for a healthy side - this just might be it. Thanks for posting.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions, everyone....these are definitely a start! I will report back. This coleslaw was a dieting life saver for me as it was a very filling snack when I came home from work in the evenings. I do remember the hot sauce as an ingredient but I will just improvise and see what happens.
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

I know the link I posted lists hot sauce as an ingredient. So, it may not be too far off.

Here is a simple dressing that was part of a wonderful recipe for creamy avocado and bean wrap:

2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon canola oil 3
    2 teaspoons finely chopped canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cups shredded red cabbage
    1 medium carrot, shredded
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Whisk vinegar, oil, chipotle chile and salt in a medium bowl. Add cabbage, carrot and cilantro; toss to combine.

Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    "I saw the sign for “Firecracker Coleslaw” at Whole Foods Lakewood, I immediately took notice. I love coleslaw, and I love spice, so this was potentially a match made in heaven.

Firecracker Coleslaw
    I made this for the CGOTW and absolutely loved it! It has such a great combo of spicy sweetness and the crunch of the peppers and onions in the slaw is wonderful. Haven't had the Whole Foods version before so I can't compare but definitely recommend this copycat recipe!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

What is jalapeno pickling liquid?

Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    What is jalapeno pickling liquid?
    I think it's the liquid the jarred jalapenos come in.

I know this thread is a bit old, but here's one that might have some kick to it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Emeril's Kicked Up Horseradish Cole Slaw

Recipe By :Emeril Lagasse
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Salads/Dressings Side Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3/4 cup sour cream
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon sugar
    Salt -- to taste
    Freshly-ground black pepper -- to taste
    4 cups shredded green cabbage
    4 cups shredded red cabbage
    1 cup shredded carrots
    1/2 cup finely-grated fresh horseradish

In a large bowl whisk together the sour cream, vinegar, and sugar and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the cabbage, carrots, and horseradish and toss to coat. Adjust seasoning, to taste. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until ready to serve. (Cole slaw may be made up to 4 hours in advance. Stir before serving.)

This recipe yields 8 servings.

Source:
    "EMERIL LIVE with Emeril Lagasse - (Show # EM-SP37) - from the TV FOOD NETWORK"

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe Latte View Post
    I think it's the liquid the jarred jalapenos come in.
    That's what I used!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/