Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried Wen hair products? Feedback.

Has anyone tried Wen hair products? Feedback.

Sure I've seen snippets of their infomercial when flipping channels. I see a before of someone that looks like , but after using their cleansing conditioner, they have flowing beautiful hair. Hmm, some fancy filming and styling perhaps.

I was speaking to someone today and she was raving about Wen products.

I've gotten sucked in millions of times in the past by the promise of hair products that will be the salvation to coarse, thick, frizzy hair. Whatever your issue, try this creme, shampoo, conditioner, blah, blah. I've never seen anything that really does what it promises (since they alway have such compelling ad copy), other than spend my money --- from hair products galore in all price ranges, Japanese straightening to Keratin. I think the only thing that actually makes a difference is the flat iron.

Sure, after using such and such conditioner, your hair will be frizz free. I didn't fall off the hair product turnip truck, I don't expect those amazing things, but something good. Ha. And the search continued.

So, any feedback on Wen? Or, any hair products that you absolutely love, and see a definite difference when you use it?

(Oh, I have super thick, coarse, hard to manage, color treated hair with LOTS of grey. Think Cousin It if I let my hair dry naturally. Thankfully, if a pro does my hair, it looks good (although no easy feat for them, their arm gets a workout from drying and flat ironing). Hair looks great, as long as I stay in a controlled temp environment. No humidity, rain etc. Ha)

I've been super good the last year or two and haven't been tempted on any new hair products. Ok, maybe Moroccan Oil (but I have used it at the hair salon, so I've tried it out on my hair when drying my hair at the salon after I get it colored, and I like it), but I haven't caved yet. But I do have an Amazon gift card just sitting there.

Thanks,
    Last edited by applecrisp; 03-15-2012 at 09:17 PM.

I haven't tried it, but a woman in my office is a regular. I noticed a difference the first day she used it and her hair definitely has a new swing and looks great. I've not tried it because I have thick but fine hair. Anything that is too heavy just leaves my hair looking greasy so I stick to a product that I've used for years.
    Karen

My daughter used the product (she has thick wavy hair), and loved the results. She ended up using less than recommended to get the results that she wanted, but on her student budget, it was too expensive.

Visit my blog about cooking and a new season of life at http://reconnecting-with-my-kitchen.blogspot.com/

This is your life, are you who you want to be?
    ~ Switchfoot

Thanks Kjente2 and Laura for the feedback.

I don't know anything about Wen products, but I would suggests this website: www.beautypedia.com. I read her books several years ago and find her advice spot on. I switched both shampoo and conditioner after reading her suggestions and have been thrilled with the results (and so has my pocketbook!)

Good luck!
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

Thanks Missi. Off to check it out. I'm in need of a new moisturizer too, so interesting to read some reviews.

Thanks,

applecrisp - have you tried the products yet?

I really need help for my thinning, dry hair. Olive oil is helping a bit, but I know most shampoos are not healthy either so while I add moisture, I am also stripping it. I see that QVC will have WEN products tomorrow and was thinking of giving them a try. I know they return products, no questions asked, so I figured I have nothing to lose by ordering from them. I'll wait to see what they offer as today's special first. Any new feedback is helpful though.

I have used Wen and really like the main product (the conditioner/shampoo) but I don't need all the other stuff that you get when you order - styler, deep conditioner, etc. I also got put on the automatic mailing program and they sent me way too much stuff. So those are a couple of things to be aware of if you order. But I really like what it does for my hair - just not my wallet.

(I have also discovered Loreal's new conditioner/shampoo which I really like now - also kinda pricey but nite quite as much as Wen)
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

Cafe Latte --

I did try Wen, and did order from QVC since it was a special (and their no questions asked guarantee) --- and the price was way much better than I could find elsewhere, checked Amazon, Wen etc. My grouping also included other styling products, but I ordered it since it was cheaper than just getting their main product. I even "locked" that price for two followup shipments (can cxl).

Now onto the review, I didn't see anything special, and I'm on my second large bottle. I even went for the second bottle to give it a good try. They do suggest to use lots of "pumps" of the product so it goes rather quick. And, of course, the more product for thicker hair). I've played around with the amount -- but maybe I'll give it another try making sure I use the amount they suggested. I'm certainly not going to be a "before" and "after" on their infomercial -- but again, I could wash my hair in iced tea and have a great "after" if I had a professional styling my hair.

I know many love it. I would hoping I would too. But more just ok. And, for that price, I should like it a bit more.

Since Wen hypes itself as being sulfate free (which "many" say strips oils, hurts the conditon etc), might be worth trying a sulfate free shampoo/conditioner. I know many drugstore brands make that (perhaps thats the Loreal product newtricks likes).

Wen offer lots of different "types" of their main product -- I ordered the "fig" since its good for coarse, thick, color treated hair.

I'v never tried olive oil in my hair -- how do you use it?

Newtricks -- did you order right thru Wen? I did some web surfing, and at the time I ordered, the QVC deal was lots cheaper than Amazon, Wen etc., but certainly prices vary over time, based on sales etc.

Funny, I was going to start another thread asking for any suggestions on shampoo/conditioner they really like. I've tried stuff from the drugstore, all the way to way more expensive lines (I know I get sucked in when they say great for hard to manage, coarse hair). There might as well as be a flashing buy me sign. The last few years I got off that bandwagon. I could be living in a villa in Tuscany for all the money I've spent on hair products, straight irons, brushes etc. And, haven't found a shampoo/conditioner, or styling product that I say is really great. Years back I did like a conditioner from the Fresh line but my hair wasnt' nearly as coarse and tough to manage. I have like MoroccanOil the few times I've addeded it to my hair, but I bet I could get something similar for much cheaper. Still haven't caved and bought the MoroccanOil since I mentioned it in my post above. Ok, I'm impressed with myself. Ha.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 08-31-2012 at 10:35 AM.

I bought the Wen product for a gift last Christmas. The person didn't like it at all, said her hair was too greasy no matter how much or how little she used. I was on the automatic shipment method and after I received the second shipment I found out she didn't like it. Oh, the rigamarole to get a refund. It was awful. I'd not buy it just for that reason.
    Lori

Thanks for the feedback. I've decided to order it from QVC tomorrow to try it. I've returned things to QVC without any problems, so I would hesitate to order it from anywhere else. My hair is dry, so a greasy feel would be somewhat welcome.

My hair has changed so much over the last few years - it's so much thinner than it used to be and dry (but it always has been). Last spring the Dr. tested me for vitamin deficiency and found my D to be low. There is no proof that it helps with hair, but I've recently noticed more new hair growth, so I am hoping by this time next year, I will see some improvement. I recently started a thread on olive oil for hair and it has helped some for dryness. http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...d.php?t=143766

I've tried many different shampoos, but the one I keep going back to is Costco's Kirkland brand that is sulphate free and vegan. It's cheap and I like the way my hair feels from it, but I still need something more, if it exists. Here are some reviews: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/s...SHAMPOO/0/Hair

I'll report back once I've used it for a few weeks. I can usually tell if a product will work after a few uses.

CafeLatte --

Thanks for the links, off to check them out.

Another idea, if you have eye on a product that Sephora also carries -- you can try it, and they offer a money back guarantee. So nothing lost.

Good luck. My hair has changed so much over the years (I think the tons of grey is the main culprit) -- that I would love to find something that really helped. And, I've tried products, Japanese straightening, Keratin. Always in search of......

Good luck, hope you find something you like and look forward to reading your review.

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    I know many drugstore brands make that (perhaps thats the Loreal product newtricks likes).
    I'm guessing Evercreme Cleasing Conditioner...

Funny, I was going to start another thread asking for any suggestions on shampoo/conditioner they really like. I've tried stuff from the drugstore, all the way to way more expensive lines (I know I get sucked in when they say great for hard to manage, coarse hair). There might as well as be a flashing buy me sign. The last few years I got off that bandwagon. I could be living in a villa in Tuscany for all the money I've spent on hair products, straight irons, brushes etc. And, haven't found a shampoo/conditioner, or styling product that I say is really great.
    Over the last few years, my hair has gone from somewhat limp and barely wavy to fuzzy and now to full-out curly. No med changes, no illness, just age (I guess). This summer I discovered http://www.naturallycurly.com/ and their product reviews and forum. They have some interesting discussion of Wen products (and how it's actually quite similar to one of the brand-name conditioners).

My hair is so dry that I can only use shampoo (and sulfate-free at that) once a week and even the Kirkland sulfate-free is too harsh (I so wanted to like it; at least it does work well for leg shaving ) I'm currently using one of the Tresemme Naturals (nourishing moisture) as a conditioner-only "wash" and it seems to work pretty well.

Michelle

I have really thick fine mostly gray hair and have struggled to find a shampoo and conditioner that moisturizes without weighing the hair down. Even the so-called "moisturizing formulas" seemed really harsh so I tried a tip from a friend, diluting the shampoo by 1/2, and it works! I simply use an empty bottle, decant 1/2 the shampoo and replace with water. It seems to lather and clean better without leaving my hair crunchy or limp.

wen

i noticed softer hair w/i two uses. for a smoother look do not rinse it all the way out. does not weight my hair down or feel dirty.

WEN is on QVC right now. Tempting.

Although it isn't a shampoo or conditioner, I have been using a mixture of henna, indigo, and buxus in my hair for a couple of years now and can't believe the difference it's made. (I use the combo to get the color I want...a warm, chestnut brown. It has taken the dry, frizzy, out of control mop and turned it into shiny, healthy, easy to manage hair that I love. When my brother's hair was turning dry and brittle, and breaking constantly because of chemo, I used cassia on him...similar to henna, but it doesn't color the hair (not much, anyway). It saved his hair for a long time.

So...I know it's a much bigger PITA and could certainly understand why someone wouldn't want to bother, but if you're at your wit's end, it might be worth a try. I get all my products from Henna for Hair. There is also a lot of information on there for anyone thinking of using any of the henna products.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

No comment on the product, and I do wish you luck with hair stuff, but just an off-topic comment.
    Hair is dead. Anything you do it is temporary....and if I were trying a new product, I would read the ingredients and compare it to what I am currently using.
    I have read that coloring alters the texture (fills in the porous nature of dead hair) so it can make it appear and feel thicker and more manageable....but just my humble opinion...not worth the time, money and effort.

After being on meds that nearly destroyed my hair, I am just grateful for stuff that stays on my head...it is growing back thicker and fuller and I just treat it gently and gratefully.

good luck with it all.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Mkc -- I haven't tried that line yet, which is quite surprising. I used to check out that site especially when I wore my hair curly. Ah, if my hair would only do that now. I think I will poke around their website and read their Wen reviews, and what they find similar.

Riverfarm -- great that you found something that worked. I tried that line, but that's all I remember about it.

Soupandstew --- I've heard about that before, to dilute the shampoo etc.

Storispa -- do you use the number of pumps of product they suggest for Wen? If I recall I would be 15-20 pumps from the big bottle. And, they say more for thick hair.

Cookin4love --- you are right, that's a process, but hey if it works for you

Vbak --- did you see me in the before and afters. Ha. Only joking.

Wallycat --- I do notice that my hair gets even harder to manage after it not being colored for a few weeks, as you said, it helps a bit with the texture. Great to read that your hair is thicker and fuller.

I wonder what I would look like if I didn't color my hair -- I really need to do my roots at less than three weeks. Maybe I should change my name to stripey. Ha.

Thanks everyone for the comments. And, wow, look how many people viewed this thread.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 09-01-2012 at 07:57 PM.

HAHAHHA, our brown tabby's name is Stripey

I have personally toyed with dye, but am too lazy and cheap.
    Fortunately (or not) am unemployed, happily married and in a town that thinks gray is cool.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I haven't used Wen products, but use Moroccean Argan and love it. I noticed my hairdresser used the oil on my hair last week before blowdrying. My hair is very straight, but there is a product on the market called Ouidad which is made specially for curly hair. I use their Sun Shield as I am in the pool almost every day and it protects against clorine and sun damage and, I am not way connected to this company.

Haven't tried Wen. I'm too cheap to buy it. My neighbor wouldn't even tell me how much the products she ordered were since she knew it would shock me.

As I age, my formerly straight, medium brown hair has gotten wild. very wavy, with all the waves having a mind of their own. I don't color my hair, so I have lots of gray. Definitely dry now. And I make it even drier by using a flat iron to get rid of some of the out of control waves.

I was tickled to see that lots of women here don't dye their hair....in real life, I am the only one who doesn't!
    “It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.----Krishnamurti

Wow - $50 for shampoo.

Luckily for me the less I do with my hair including letting it go as long as possible between shampoos, the easier it is to handle. I have extremely thick hair so it's either very short or very long unless I want to devote way too much time blowing and styling it.

As an aside, I joined the ranks of the gray haired about 4 years ago because I couldn't stand the time it took to do every three weeks - not to mention the expense. The upkeep was as bad as being a platinum blonde because my roots would start showing at about 2 weeks and what's the use of dying your hair if you've got obvious gray roots running through your part and hairline.

I get a lot of compliments on my gray hair. I look around now and I just don't understand why a lot of old women continue to dye their hair because it looks weird to me and it's not making them look younger. I realize there is a certain window of time when it's difficult to let go of the dye because it does superficially give more of a first impression of being younger although there are some really gorgeous early gray hairs like Emmylou Harris. However, I think my grandmother with her lovely gray hair looked far better than some of the old ladies in my building with their obviously dyed hair.

So my order arrived yesterday. Before it arrived, I was second guessing my purchase since it is a lot of money to spend on shampoo and thinking I just might send it back without bothering to try it. I mean, could it really make a difference in my hair (it really has been bad this year). Since it was from QVC, and I know I can return it w/o problems, I decided to try it out this morning. I got the special that came with 4 products, plus I ordered some styling cream because I do like to use this type of product and figured I would defeat the purpose of using the old product with the new shampoo.

Well, I don't want to sound like the infomercial, but after just one use, my hair really DOES feel better. I know it helps that I had it cut and colored last week, but still, it's looking and feeling healthier. The bottle is huge, 32 oz, so it's not that much more compared to salon products of that size (such as Aveda). For now, I will be using and keeping the product, but I do have 30 days to change my mind. I did not enroll in auto-ship, so whether or not I get more will depend on the long term results, and probably going back to my old shampoo for comparison. So far I am pleased, but it's only been the first day. I wish I had this product to test when I was in Orlando this summer, because my hair was absolutely the worst ever while we were there.

Just tried this today for the first time. Really liked it so far. Was mostly afraid of it feeling greasy and "not rinsed out" but that wasn't the case at all. Going to look into the hair oils now.

Cafe Latte --- Go ahead sound like an infomercial , happy to read that you like it so far. What "type" did you get (ie, fig, sweet almond mint or)? Did you use the amount of "pumps" specified for your hair length. Did it come with any products? If so, did you use them, or other products?

The last few times I've tried to follow to a t, and used 20+ pumps, and even did the two washes, so split it basically 10+ and 10+. And, really no real difference. Of course everyone is different. And, wow, can't do a quick shower (not saying I really could with my hair) with Wen.

Lurker1999 --- Happy to read that you also like it. I have the same questions that I had for Cafe Latte.

Signed,
    In search of the magic hair treatment/gadget that will make my hair easier to work with.

Thanks so much!!

Used half as much as they said, but only because my hair is fine and thin. It felt really full of product, didn't feel like I'd skimped, so I didn't put more. Might try a little more next time (everyone keeps saying more is better). Also got the intensive treatment - haven't tried it yet, but I will.

I will reserve judgement until it's been a little while longer, but so far so good.

Got the cucumber-aloe due to oily scalp. Not wild about the smell but it's not awful either. It gave me a super tingly scalp though.

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    Cafe Latte --- Go ahead sound like an infomercial , happy to read that you like it so far. What "type" did you get (ie, fig, sweet almond mint or)? Did you use the amount of "pumps" specified for your hair length. Did it come with any products? If so, did you use them, or other products?
    I ordered the Fig only because they said it was best for color treated and dry, dehydrated, damaged hair. The amount of pumps they recommend is for the smaller bottles and this one being 32 oz, I believe it says 8- 16 pumps. Since my hair has gotten thin, and it's shoulder length, I found that about 6 total pumps works well. More than that just seems like over-kill. With the large cleansing conditioner, the order also came with 8 packets of the same, I guess for travel, as well as Re-Moist Hydrating Hair Mask and Replenishing Treatment Mist. I haven't used any of these yet.

I also ordered the Styling Cream in Tea Tree because they said it was a lighter formula for finer hair. I didn't want a heavy styling cream. I'm finding it working well too. I think if I were to order the Cleansing Conditioner again, it would be in Tea Tree, as they say it's for thinning hair. I'm a long way from ordering more though.

It's been day 3 and I am really still finding I like the product. I really notice it most at the end of the day when my hair hasn't frizzed up on me (especially on the side, and underneath). I do wash my hair daily, only because it would need to be tamed, and not because it was dirty or oily. I really think I could go without washing my hair for a day because the next day it is so much smoother than in the past. I will give it some time before I decide to do that though.

I know that everyone is different and different products either will or won't work for somebody. I know I am finding my hair is much better because it really was in a bad state. It was getting to the point where the sulphate free shampoos I was buying really weren't working as well as they used to for me. This has already been well worth the cost. Since it takes the place of both shampoo and conditioner, it's even more affordable. Again, just my experience with the product.

Thanks for the feedback. So interesting to read what works/doesn't work for people. We are all different, with different hair.

Lurker1999 -- Hope you continue to like it.

Cafe Latte -- I also have the Fig since it said it was the best for my type of hair. When I said 20 pumps, I was referring to those with longer, thick hair -- I just looked past the 8-15 pumps. , Hope it continues to like it.

I still have Wen left, so maybe it wil finally kick in. It was worth the try --- you never know unless you give it a try. Next up, I will buy a sulfate free shampoo/conditioner.

Thanks again.