Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing spring rolls question

Question Freezing spring rolls question

I'm hoping someone has had experience with this and can help me.
    Last night I made some spring rolls, cooked them, and served them. Today, I had lots more filling leftover and decided to make a bunch more for another time.
    They are all ready to cook, with a damp paper towel over them to keep them from drying out.

My question is: If I want to freeze them, do I cook them first and then freeze them?
    Or do I freeze them as they are now? If I am supposed to freeze them now, would I wrap each one individually in plastic wrap before freezing and then put them in a freezer bag? Or do you have another suggestion?

Lastly, when I reheat them, I assume I should do that from frozen?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
    Katie
    Katie

The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Thank you so much!
    Katie

You can freeze them. I made a lot of spring rolls to take to my daughter at college. Baked them first and then told her to reheat them. It worked great, she and her friends loved them.

Too late to help you, but I freeze them uncooked on a baking sheet. Then, I put them individually into baggies and them into a larger plastic freezer bag. Since they are individually frozen, you can pull out as many as you need. Don't let them touch while freezing because they will stick together.

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    Too late to help you, but I freeze them uncooked on a baking sheet. Then, I put them individually into baggies and them into a larger plastic freezer bag. Since they are individually frozen, you can pull out as many as you need. Don't let them touch while freezing because they will stick together.
    The links that ADM sent mentioned the same thing, so that's what I ended up doing, which is what you do. I laid them out on baking sheets so that they weren't touching, left them in the freezer for about an hour, then put them into freezer bags. Now I have 30 spring rolls for future enjoyment!
    Katie

Now ... how about giving us the recipe you used?

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post
    Yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by knunes View Post
    The links that ADM sent mentioned the same thing, so that's what I ended up doing, which is what you do. I laid them out on baking sheets so that they weren't touching, left them in the freezer for about an hour, then put them into freezer bags. Now I have 30 spring rolls for future enjoyment!
    Great! You won't be disappointed! Enjoy.

Cheers,
    Phoebe
    Sure Phoebe (and jSadler):
    It is from a very cool website called how2heroes.com. If you search Lilly's spring rolls in their search bar, you will not only get this recipe, but will see a how-to video of Lilly making them! There are home cooks as well as professional cooks on this website, and there is always a how-to video to go with the recipe!

Lilly's Spring Rolls (Lilly Jan)
    Makes about 20 appetizers
    Ingredients

⅓ lb ground pork
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tsp shaoxing wine (Note: I used mirin)
    ¼ tsp sesame oil (Note: I forgot this in the first batch and they were still good)
    2 tsp cornstarch
    2 cups cabbage, grated
    1 cup broccoli stalks, julienne (Note: I didn't have any broccoli left for the second and third batches, so I just added extra cabbage and carrot)
    1 small carrot, grated
    salt to taste
    1 pkg 8” spring roll wrappers, defrosted
    4 tbsp canola or vegetable oil, divided

How-to

In a medium bowl, mix ground pork, soy sauce, shaoxing wine, sesame oil and cornstarch until well-combined
    In large saucepan heat 1 tbsp of the cooking oil until shimmering over high heat
    Add ground pork mixture, using a spatula or wooden spoon to break pork into small pieces When completely cooked (about 2-3 minutes), remove pork to a medium bowl
    Heat 1 tbsp of cooking oil to remaining pork fat if needed (there may be enough fat residue left for sauteing) over medium heat until shimmering. Add cabbage, broccoli stalks and carrots. Sauté until cabbage begins to turn translucent, 4-5 minutes Season with salt if desired. Remove and add to large bowl with cooked pork mixture
    Mix pork and vegetable until well-combined and set aside to cool
    On a clean surface, unwrap spring roll wrappers and cover with a damp paper towel to prevent drying
    Turn the square wrapper so that the corners are pointing north, east, south and west. Place 3 tbsp of the filling an inch above the bottom corner leaving space on both sides, fold the bottom corner over the filling and roll once, completely encasing the filling. Take the left corner and fold inwards, roll forward, once again. Take the right corner and fold inwards and roll forward again, until closed. Keep completed spring rolls covered under a damp paper towel. (If deep frying, seal the top corner with cornstarch slurry ( part cornstarch to 4 parts water)
    Stove-top toasting: Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Lightly brush all the rolls with remaining oil until just glistening. Working in small batches, place the rolls seam-side down on the pan and toast all sides until golden brown and crispy, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from heat and serve.
    Deep-frying: In a large stockpot add cooking oil until about one-third of the way up and heat to 350º. Fry spring rolls in small batches until golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels
    Serve with dipping sauce if desired
    Katie

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie23 View Post
    In fact all sources recommend making extra and freezing the rest for another time.
    Reported.
    Chacun à son goût!

Katie, thanks a lot! And I wonder whether these would be good steamed as well as fried?....

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Katie, thanks a lot! And I wonder whether these would be good steamed as well as fried?....
    I think you would have soggy, instead of crisp, wrappers. If you don't want to fry them, bake them instead.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

I would bake a cooked spring roll if you don't want to fry, but you can also do fresh spring rolls. The wrappers are different -- made of rice flour or tapioca that you soften in water before wrapping. Don't know that you can freeze those. If you use fresh veggies, the texture would tend to be lost in freezing, but they do keep in the fridge tightly wrapped for a few days.

I've done a lot of baked lumpia (Filipino version of spring/egg rolls) that were previously frozen.

As long as the filling is pre-cooked and they're completely de-frosted they actually work pretty well in the oven. I mean it's definitely not fried goodness but we all have to make some compromises when we're trying to eat healthy

I guess when I hear (read?) "spring rolls," I do think the thin rice-flour wrappers rather than the thick "egg roll" wrappers. No, I wouldn't steam egg rolls. But yeah, baking might work, I guess. And the filling still sounds pretty good for steamed dumplings ... wonton wrappers, maybe?

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Yep - for lumpia we either use lumpia skins of spring roll wrappers so it's the same thin wrapper that a spring roll has. In the Philippines we don't really use the thick egg roll style wrappers.

Lol - although we do make this awesome caramelized banana spring roll that's amazing.

And yum! You're right - wonton wrappers are perfect for steaming.

Quote Originally Posted by FoodJaunts View Post
    Yep - for lumpia we either use lumpia skins of spring roll wrappers so it's the same thin wrapper that a spring roll has. In the Philippines we don't really use the thick egg roll style wrappers.
    Aahhhhh, I could eat my weight in lumpia! But I guess if I did, my weight would keep increasing, so I'd have to keep eating more and more to keep up, and ... I can just see myself lying on the floor, bloated, greasy, and unable to move, but with a big big smile on my face.

I lived in the Philippines for two years and I looooved the food. Except (blush) halo-halo. I know that makes me a PI food heretic, but it was just too rich for me.

Cheers,
    Phoebe