Community Message Boards

Thread: Almond Milk and refrigeration...

Almond Milk and refrigeration...

So I've started to force myself to enjoy almond milk as it has a lot more calcium than the non-fat I have been drinking. I usually buy the Blue Diamond half gallon in the refrigerated section of the store. It says on the package "keep refrigerated". I was at a local store last week and they had the 32oz size on sale but it was just on the shelves, not refrigerated, so I bought a couple. I cannot figure out why one has to be refrigerated and the other not....doesn't say anywhere to keep refrigerated only to refrigerate after opening. I have compared both boxes and the ingredients are exactly the same...there is nothing different other than size. Can anyone tell me what the difference would be? I'm baffled!

Not sure but all almond milk I buy is on the shelf and I refrigerate after opening.

The non-refrigerated cartons are "shelf stable," processed in such a way that they keep longer-- I think vacuum sealed. Similar to canned goods. The refrigerated cartons are considered "fresh" and so will spoil without refrigeration. I'm sure someone here knows more science about all this, but I think that's basically it.

When my husband and I were honeymooning in Paris over 20 years ago, we were surprised to see non-refrigerated dairy milk in small cartons on the grocery shelf. It worked for us-- we could have some milk in our hotel room if we wanted.

I like being able to have a supply of almond or coconut milk on my pantry shelves... so much more convenient.

Has something to do with the processing/product. If you look you'll see that the shelf stable one has significantly less calcium than the refrigerated. Thats's why I only buy the refrigerated.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

Thanks everyone for the follow-up. Oct2189, you're right the lower calcium was the only difference. I guess I'll stick with the fresh since I'm doing it mostly for the calcium.