Community Message Boards

Thread: Looking for slider buns

Looking for slider buns

We're in the midst of planning DD's high school graduation party. We thought it would be fun to serve an assortment of different sliders, but I'm having trouble finding slider buns. I know TJ's carries them, but they are more than I'd like to spend for a large number of people (her current guest list, which we've told her she has to whittle down, is almost 100! ) Likewise, homemade buns aren't really an option. Has anyone out there found a good, relatively inexpensive source of slider buns or small rolls?
    Alicia

Pepperidge Farms has little buns, and I have cut hot dog buns into thirds.

I don't know what you want the cost to be but here's a place to buy in bulk.

I think slider rolls are probably the same cost per bun as regular buns but just seem more expensive since you are focusing on the size rather than the manufacturing process.

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/pro...1.25-Ounce.htm

Look for small dinner rolls. One brand I see has a dozen on a small tray - maybe measuring 7 X 11 or so.
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

I 2nd the dinner roll suggestion, have used them in the past for sliders. You can get big bags of them at costco., or a bulk grocery store.

Laurie

Those slider buns, even the bulk buy ones, seem to be really expensive. Something that has worked for me but may not work for you is baking powder biscuits. A couple times I've been suprised by a lot more folks than anticipated on short notice and I had to revert to them. I make double or triple batches of biscuits, roll, cut with a juice glass, and bake. Assembly line production can turn out a couple hundred in a suprising little amount of time. These were occasions where I had friends whom I could recruit to the assembly line so it probably wouldn't work for a HS grad party but thought I should toss the concept into the ring. They are more crumbly and sloppy than yeast rolls.
    Anne

I've used King's Hawaiian Rolls for buns. My grocery store also started carrying a few brands of actually slider buns.

Yes, i've seen Slider Buns at Kroger and I think Walmart. Kings are sweet, so it depends what types of sliders you're making if you want sweet buns.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Quote Originally Posted by PAMMELA View Post
    Yes, i've seen Slider Buns at Kroger and I think Walmart. Kings are sweet, so it depends what types of sliders you're making if you want sweet buns.
    The King's I got last time were not the sweet variety. They have a savory roll which is what I got. I have used the sweet rolls for sloppy joes and bbq pork sliders though.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyshine View Post
    The King's I got last time were not the sweet variety. They have a savory roll which is what I got. I have used the sweet rolls for sloppy joes and bbq pork sliders though.
    Really?? Wow, I will definitely try those!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .