Community Message Boards

Thread: Neurontin for arthritis pain for dogs?

Neurontin for arthritis pain for dogs?

I am relaly upset right now.Jake my 15 year old lab has arthritis in his fromt writs. recently it has really started to bother him. I had some leftover deramax from last year and called to see if it was okay to give since he is also on bp meds. Vet said yes.

I ran out, the vet prescribed to meds one gabaptin(neurontin) Whene hes said gabapentin, I had ot heard of it. When I found out is is neurontin, I freaked since I know it is souch a powerful drug with side effects. Why on earth would he be using this. Also he presribed previcox an NSAID, but I am not to give this to him until next week.

Just looking for for some inputbefore I call me vet

THanks

forgot this he also prescribed Previcox (an NSAID) on alternating days. warnings say it may interfere with enalipryl which he is on for his BP

arrgh

Laurie

Not familiar with those prescription drugs but I have heard that glucosamine with chondriton sometimes works wonders.
    Anne

Presumably the dose is safe for dogs. I know humans who take it for their old age pains.

What are you worried about specifically in terms of side effects?

I would rather have my 15 year old dog pain free on meds and worry about potential side effects if they occurred.

I don't mean this to be flippant but I would have no issues about giving pain killers to my dog if a vet prescribed them.

He is on glucosomine supplements.

Amarente, I just remember from paast experience from me and thought it was a big narcotic type drug with really bad side effects and that it is a big gun type drug. It did not know it was for daily arthrities use.

The vet wanted to use tramadol but he has huge asxiety attacks with it.

Just make sure he doesn't start leaving late at night to rob convenience stores and don't let him operate heavy machinery.

Gabapentin (neurontin) is not a narcotic. Its approved uses in humans are for neuropathic pain and as an adjunctive anti-seizure medication. Of course there may be many off-label uses.

With respect to the warning on the Previcox, many meds carry warnings about possible drug interactions. I would assume your vet took this into account and determined that the risk outweighed the benefit.

If you have concerns, I would discuss them with your vet.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

My dog (9 years old) has taken Gabapentin for 7 years, for seizures... it's one of 3 seizure meds he takes, and I have him on 2/day instead of 3/day, because he was over-medicated -- dopey-acting. Claire knows more about it factually than I do, but my dog doesn't seem to have any pain at all, which may be due to the Gabapentin... Talk to the vet about your concerns.

By the way, Gabapentin is expensive, but you can buy it, with a prescription, at Health Warehouse for MUCH less than my local pharmacy carries it!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!