Community Message Boards

Thread: what colours go best with aqua?

what colours go best with aqua?

I have a spare room (my sewing room) that I painted in a nice shade of aqua because I love the colour. I've decided that I want to put a single bed in there as well as using it for sewing as an extra guest room. Does anyone have any thoughts on what colours would go well with this colour?

My spare room is painted a tan color (it is acutually glazed, so it looks like a honey color). The trim is off white. Anyway, I have a key painting in that room that is aqua with some teal and yellow. I found a throw pillow that is painted silk with the same colors. So even though it doesn't sound like a match, I would get some bright yellow swatches, and then take the aqua color and go either toward the greens or the other way toward the blues and see what you like. Of course, I am not an interior designer. I am sure there is a "right" answer that has to do with the color wheel. I just know that my spare room is one of my favorites in the house.

Exclamation Aqua & "Peach"

I also have a spare room that is fondly called my craft-sewing-cookbook collection-dollhouse room.
    I decided to use a color scheme of aqua and peach from a painting that primarily uses those colors and holds a place of interest on one of the walls.
    The walls are divided by stenciling with aqua & peach floral & ribbon design. The top half is white, the bottom is aqua. I use the same color scheme, aqua, peach & white in most everything else in the room from floral displays to the Victoria dollhouse (a large one that takes up one third of the room). I alternate between two different window dressings, one in aqua and one in peach since the top half of the wall is white. Everyone finds the room attractive and peaceful.

I usually find one object that has the primary color I'm going to use and see what other colors have been used with it to complement the design, and then pick the similar combination.

Good luck decorating!

DianaLynn

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    My room is painted a pale green. I'd wanted it sort of a blue-green/aqua sort of color, but once I had the color on the walls, I noticed two things.
    One, the color I'd chosen didn't match the trim AT ALL, and made the trim look dirty, not off white. Two, I felt as though I were living in an acquarium, or somewhere underwater, and didn't think the color created the effect I'd wanted. (I was not AIMING for a 'Little Mermaid's bedchamber' effect, but got it anyhow. ) I wound up painting my room over again, with a pale silvery green that didn't clash with the trim, didn't clash with the curtains I already had, and flattered my skin tones very nicely.

My curtains are blue and white flowers (Martha Stewart curtains), which seems to work nicely, but obviously not with every shade of blue-green, LOL!

I do love the lacy sheers I have as an underlayer, which are a nice creamy white color.

Do you like aqua and white as a color combination as much as I do?

I wish I could find my color wheel, to see what's complementary. I generally dislike using that sort of color choice as a matter of rote, but it can be a useful starting point.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I second (or is that third?) the yellow and teal with aqua. When I decorated DD's nursery, I used aqua, teal and yellow (with sea creatures, sun and moon). I loved it and will use the exact same color scheme this time around. I found it to be very soothing.
    "You know I was talking to my friend Desdemona the other day she
    runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown. She told
    me that human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers
    took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the
    reason we're as crazy as we are and I believe it." Jimmy Buffet, Fruitcakes, 1994

Hi,

Blue, White, Tan, and Green.

Aqua could be called the color of the ocean. So then it seems to me the White of the Clouds, the blue of the Sky, the Green of the Grass and trees, and the Tan of the Sand would all blend toghether rather well.

This is course is just my opinion, and since I am rarely consulted on decorating ideas around the house by Sharon, my opinion is not neccessarily the opinion of the Management, but I wanted to share my thoughts with you anyway.

Ed
    http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Leo/
    Happy to meet, sorry to part, happy to meet again.

My bedroom is aqua!

And I love it!

It goes with any of the 'ocean' shades - teal, sapphire, rich blue-green. The woodwork is off-white (it's called 'Swiss coffee' and has just a tinge of beige in it).

I put white curtains at the window (hey, I love crisp, white curtains!) and have touches of peach (in the carpet) and sky blue, as well.

Every morning I love waking up in that room and seeing the calm, warm colors.

Hope you ahve good luck with yours!
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

Thanks for all your suggestions folks - I've definitely got lots to work with now. Cheers!