Community Message Boards

Thread: Royal Red shrimp

Royal Red shrimp

Stopped at the fish market today to get shrimp for a boil tonight. Saw Royal Red shrimp in the case. Had no idea what they were. Googled when we got home and now I'm really curious. Anyone familiar with them?

Netted in the northwest Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico. Already pink when raw, this shrimp has a rich, almost lobster-like flavor, and a texture that borrows from the best of shrimp and lobster.

Never heard of them, but living in the Great Lakes area I doubt that I ever will. I like the description of them.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Stopped at the fish market today to get shrimp for a boil tonight. Saw Royal Red shrimp in the case. Had no idea what they were. Googled when we got home and now I'm really curious. Anyone familiar with them?

Netted in the northwest Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico. Already pink when raw, this shrimp has a rich, almost lobster-like flavor, and a texture that borrows from the best of shrimp and lobster.
    They sound great; a real treat. Never heard of them before. What is the price difference from comparable grey shrimp?

Great description, I want some. Wish we could get some, but our fresh NC shrimp are might tasty.
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Marge, they were $7.99/lb. I may go back this week and get a pound.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Marge, they were $7.99/lb. I may go back this week and get a pound.
    That's a good price here in Central NY. I would go back and gets lots more if they are lobster-like.
    Last edited by margeslp; 07-01-2012 at 03:13 PM.

I would stock up on anything that tastes like lobster for that price. Did you see this recipe?

Lower Alabama BBQ Royal Red Shrimp
    Recipe courtesy Al Sawyer
    6 servings

3 tablespoons spice seasoning, more or less to taste (recommended: J.O. Spice Seasoning)
    1 cup flour
    3 pounds Royal Red Shrimp, peeled and de-veined, tail on (can substitute any shrimp)
    4 ounces unsalted butter
    2 ounces olive oil
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    3 tablespoons hot sauce
    1 pinch fresh thyme
    1 pinch fresh oregano
    2 tablespoons chopped green onion
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon paprika
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

Directions
    Mix spice seasoning and flour together. Lightly coat shrimp with seasoned flour. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add butter and olive oil. Once hot, add shrimp (you may have to cook in batches or use 2 skillets if you can). Just after adding the shrimp, add vinegar, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, mustard, hot sauce, thyme, oregano, green onion, parsley, garlic, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, paprika, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until the sauce reduces and the shrimp is cooked, about 4 to 5 minutes. Serve as an appetizer with French bread.

* Home Cook
    Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.

I've had them when we've vacationed in Gulf Shores. They're very good. I've never prepared them, though.
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

Cookie, I saw that on a FoodNetwork link. I think for the first time I'd like to keep it very basic ... sort of like lobster. Steam or boil and serve with melted butter. Hope they still have some tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    I would stock up on anything that tastes like lobster for that price. Did you see this recipe?

Lower Alabama BBQ Royal Red Shrimp
    Recipe courtesy Al Sawyer
    6 servings

3 tablespoons spice seasoning, more or less to taste (recommended: J.O. Spice Seasoning)
    1 cup flour
    3 pounds Royal Red Shrimp, peeled and de-veined, tail on (can substitute any shrimp)
    4 ounces unsalted butter
    2 ounces olive oil
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    3 tablespoons hot sauce
    1 pinch fresh thyme
    1 pinch fresh oregano
    2 tablespoons chopped green onion
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon paprika
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

Directions
    Mix spice seasoning and flour together. Lightly coat shrimp with seasoned flour. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add butter and olive oil. Once hot, add shrimp (you may have to cook in batches or use 2 skillets if you can). Just after adding the shrimp, add vinegar, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, mustard, hot sauce, thyme, oregano, green onion, parsley, garlic, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, paprika, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until the sauce reduces and the shrimp is cooked, about 4 to 5 minutes. Serve as an appetizer with French bread.

* Home Cook
    Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.

Love this recipe. Would certainly have French bread for dunking sauce

I would buy something that tasted like shrimp for that price $7.99.

In Los Angeles, the farm raised shrimp on sale is $7.99. I've been lucky this past few weeks as there have been sales of wild caught shrimp for $8.99.

We have Santa Barbara shrimp here but that's close to $20.00 a pound.

I have just been enjoying my shrimp done simply - boiled, chilled and eaten with old school tangy cocktail sauce.

I bought red shrimp for around that price at Trader Joe's. I didn't really notice a big taste difference. I was just happy that I got wild shrimp for that price. We liked it.

We had them in Key West this spring and they were great. If I remember correctly, they were very simply prepared. Perhaps just boiled or steamed or grilled. The flavor was awesome.
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

I just asked DH if he had ever heard of them. He said it is what we call down here Key West shrimp or Pink shrimp. He said they usually go for about $14.99 lb for large/jumbo, and are wild caught only.

Cookie, pink shrimp are a different variety.

http://woodsfisheries.com/wild-american-shrimp/

Quote Originally Posted by catharine View Post
    I bought red shrimp for around that price at Trader Joe's. I didn't really notice a big taste difference. I was just happy that I got wild shrimp for that price. We liked it.
    I just came back from Trader Joe and they had "Blue Shrimp" but they were $14.00 a pound.

I finally tried the Royal Reds. The flavor is awesome! It's sweet and very similar to lobster. I boiled them for 2 minutes, but that was almost too long. Next time 45 seconds should do it. Ate 'em dipped in melted butter. A real treat!

Charley, I wish we had that type of shrimp here. Anything that tastes like lobster I'll buy.