Community Message Boards

Thread: Transporting 300 cupcakes

Transporting 300 cupcakes

My mother is making 300 cupcakes for my cousin's wedding. She will need to transport them about 15 miles to the reception site. My mother has a van that she can use so stacking wouldn't be necessary. She is worried that they might bump together is she just lays them loose in a box.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
    Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by cchhbb View Post
    My mother is making 300 cupcakes for my cousin's wedding. She will need to transport them about 15 miles to the reception site. My mother has a van that she can use so stacking wouldn't be necessary. She is worried that they might bump together is she just lays them loose in a box.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
    Cheryl
    We will keep the cupcakes in our prayers. If she baked 300 she must have several muffin tins. I would go to the dollar store and get more and transport them all in a safe bed

yes, they will get damaged if iced with buttercream and the buttercream goes all the way to the sides.

A few options:
    cupcake boxes - buy from a local bakery or order online. You can get boxes that hold 2 or 3 dozen

cupcake carriers - borrow. If you know home bakers, many have them. Most hold 2 or 3 dozen.

boxes and sheet pans with nonskid mat - you still have to be very very careful

cupcake baking tins - I did this when I first started but I also own 6 trays that hold 24 cupcakes.

I do this all the time for my business but I own 15 cupcake couriers which each hold 36 cupcakes.

Some bakeries also store the cupcakes in the fridge and then transport in a refrigeratored truck - if the icing is very cold it won't smudge as much. But you need enough fridge space and a very very cold van.

Transporting is a huge issue and this is a big reason to hire a bakery because they have experience and the tools to do this (along with the ability to make and ice 300 - having oven and counter space). A home baker can do this if they up for the challenge but its important to understand 300 is a very large amount of cupcakes and the work and logisitics involved is very different than baking 2-3 dozen cupcakes. Even with a van, stacking might be required depending on how you transport. Hope I'm not coming off as harsh, but I'm just speaking from experience and I often get calls from people who are in a panic because they didn't understand what they got themselves into (and unfortunately the calls are usually too late for me to help them out). Best of luck to your mom and that is a special gift for the bride.

If it were me, and there wasn't some fancy design trying to be created on top, I'd just haul the naked cupcakes to the event and then pipe the frosting on-site to prevent a disaster during transport.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyinMN View Post
    If it were me, and there wasn't some fancy design trying to be created on top, I'd just haul the naked cupcakes to the event and then pipe the frosting on-site to prevent a disaster during transport.
    That's a great idea!

Thanks for the ideas. I'll pass them on to my mom. She used to make wedding cakes when I was a kid so she is definitely up for the challenge. She has all the things to transport cakes, not cupcakes.

I know she is borrowing some cupcake carriers, but will not have enough.

I think she is decorating the cupcakes at the church and will use their fridge to keep things cold. The church has a commercial kitchen that she will be using to make the icing and bake the cupcakes. I know all the relatives in the area are letting her use their muffin tins for baking.

The wedding reception is about 15 minutes away and outside under a tent with no a/c. Hence she will not be decorating at the site.

Thanks again,
    Cheryl

I don't know when the wedding is, but I bet you could buy the boxes online and have the boxes within a week without having to pay extra shipping. I ordered my cookie boxes and they were here in a week....question is, do you have a week?

Or would these help, in some way:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/cupc.../24510016.html

Good luck!
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Get some boxes and cut them like this:

Good luck to your mom! That is quite the undertaking!!!
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

Cake pans work

I made 250 minis for a friend's rehearsal dinner/picnic. When I offered, I figured 20-30 people, but she invited all wedding guests. I looked into ordering cake boxes online, but the minimum quantities were too high. I filled some tin baking boxes, and every oblong cake pan I own, as well as the pans from my commercial chafing dishes. I packed them in tight & balled up foil to fill any voids. Never again, but she said they arrived safely and were devoured. Tell your mom she's a saint.
    Last edited by dorothyntototoo; 07-06-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: *
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

@Dana

Wish I had known about you when I was in Scottsdale, I would have stopped!

I needed a bunch of boxes for cupcakes and have a great relationship with my grocery store. They receive big boxes of cupcakes and or muffins and then transfer them to plastic at the store.

They gave me the original boxes.
    Carlin

If you or someone you know buys apples or large stone fruit from Costco in those annoying plastic containers try using them for cupcakes. I've only done a couple dozen cupcakes at a time - the containers worked great.
    Anne

The cake & cupcakes were a great success. They used muffin tins with a small cardboard riser in it to transport the cupcakes. My mom said it took her more than 2 hours to load the cupcakes and do the last minute things to the cake.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by cchhbb View Post
    The cake & cupcakes were a great success. They used muffin tins with a small cardboard riser in it to transport the cupcakes. My mom said it took her more than 2 hours to load the cupcakes and do the last minute things to the cake.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheryl
    Thanks for foolow-up report. Glad it was a success