Community Message Boards

Thread: Medjool dates - how long are they good?

Medjool dates - how long are they good?

I bought the large container of medjool dates from Costco and made some really yummy 'homemade larabars'. I've been meaning to make more but haven't gotten around to it yet. How long do these last? Do they just dry out or actually go bad.

Medjools are a regular Costco purchase for me. Costco used to hold them in the big cold walk-in section, but now they are in the regular aisles at store temperatures. I like Medjools plumpy soft so I do not put them into the refrigerator when I get home. They last a long time for me…..maybe two months+. I buy 2 containers at a time. That is alot of quantity for me, since I’m the only one that eats them. Depending upon your storage of them, I would say they would get white mold (if there is humidity & high temps. indoors) or they get tough. Mine stay at rm. temp. (Usually 70s-ish) in their original containers on the kitchen countertop.

Oh and I always buy the freshest containers I can find (even if I have to dig through the stack) so I can maximize the time I can keep them eatable once I get them home.
    Life ain't Certain. Ride Your Best Horse First

thanks. I've had them for about a month but at room temperature (its low humidity here but things mold very fast here still). I look for mold before using them up.

This probably won't help you, but at our house they disappear in a flash. There is no worry about them growing stale. DH just loves them and I try to remember to buy him some when I am out shopping and they look nice and fresh.