Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to buy a neutral oil for baking......

Need to buy a neutral oil for baking......

I basically use olive oil for almost everything..... for cooking, in salads, dressings, pretty much all savory uses.

But I do have some baking recipes that call for a neutral tasting oil, most often some quick bread recipes. Sometimes I need this type of oil in some salad dressings and/or other recipes.

I don't use much of it, but I like to have a bottle on hand.

There are soooo many choices. Safflower, grapeseed and on and on.

I often I read that one oil is "in" and another "out", hard to keep it straight. Any better nutritionally? But really, if its going into a baked good,

Any suggestions? Oh, and if the oil is good to use to coat my cast iron after cleaning, that would be great too.

Thanks.

My choice is usually peanut oil. Lou Ana is the brand I buy.

Peanut oil isn't a neutral oil and I wouldn't use it for baking. I use it for Asian stir fries because it has a very high smoking point and because it imparts a subtle flavor - not as pronounced as sesame oil but still there.

Canola oil is a neutral oil and I keep a bottle in the refrigerator for those dishes which need a neutral oil.

Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    Peanut oil isn't a neutral oil and I wouldn't use it for baking. I use it for Asian stir fries because it has a very high smoking point and because it imparts a subtle flavor - not as pronounced as sesame oil but still there.
    Not LouAna.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    My choice is usually peanut oil. Lou Ana is the brand I buy.
    Just a caution, make sure if you are using this to cook or bake for anyone to confirm that they are not allergic to peanuts.

Personally I use canola or light olive oil.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I typically use grape seed but have canola right now because I've had to do a bunch of baking and it's cheaper.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I use organic canola oil almost exclusively in baking for nutritional reasons.
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

I use organic canola oil if I am baking for myself, but sometimes non-organic if I run out and forget to plan ahead and all I have is the corner store...

Canola oil for me.

As far as I can tell, it is flavorless.

Thanks everyone. I was interested to read what people use. I don't buy that type of oil that often, and don't have an automatic go-to.

I just finished a bottle of grapeseed oil.

Oh, and crucial factor in my decision making process. The size of the bottle. I picked up a bottle awhile ago, and I had to return it. It was too tall for the cabinet shelf I store my vinegars etc.

The grapeseed bottle was short too.

I use Grapeseed and I buy it at Costco because yes it is pricey otherwise.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

We use extra light olive oil for baking. Gave up canola/grapeseed oil after reading about it. We also use extra virgin coconut oil, but it imparts a slight coconut flavor, and isn't necessarily neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker1999 View Post
    We use extra light olive oil for baking. Gave up canola/grapeseed oil after reading about it.
    Can you please share what you read about canola oil? That's what I use. Thanks.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    Can you please share what you read about canola oil? That's what I use. Thanks.
    I know years ago there was information circulating that it was bad for you (what isn't to some degree) but I don't think is was ever proven.

From Mayo Clinic:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canola-oil/AN01281

Canola oil: Does it contain toxins?

I read an article on the Internet that said canola oil contains toxins that are harmful to humans. Is this true?

Answer from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Health concerns about canola oil that are being circulated on the Internet are unfounded.

Misinformation about the safety of canola oil may stem from the fact that, years ago, oil was produced from the rapeseed plant. Rapeseed oil contains very high levels of erucic acid, a compound that in large amounts can be toxic to humans. The canola plant was developed by natural crossbreeding from the rapeseed plant. Canola oil is produced from canola plants, not rapeseed plants. Canola plants have very low levels of erucic acid.

Canola oil is generally recognized as safe by the Food and Drug Administration. In fact, canola oil is very low in saturated fat and has a very high proportion of monounsaturated fat, so it's a healthy and safe choice when it comes to oils.

Safflower Oil

I pretty much use light olive oil for everything but for baking, I do use LouAna Safflower Oil and like it much better than canola.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutalady View Post
    I pretty much use light olive oil for everything but for baking, I do use LouAna Safflower Oil and like it much better than canola.
    May I ask why do you like it better? To me the oil should be tasteless...what does safflower do differently from canola?

I use Extra Light (in flavor) Olive Oil in all my baking that requires oil. Makes awesome carrot cake and apple walnut quick bread/muffins.

Canola is a genetically modified plant, and the canola oil we buy in the store is highly refined. We are trying to stay away from refined foods and GMO. Cold pressed, organic canola would be the only kind to possibly consider but it's hard to find.

The same is true for Safflower and Sunflower oils. They are also highly refined we we stay far away from them too. The refining process negates the health benefits.

We are sticking to unrefined, extra virgin coconut oil, grass fed butter, olive oil and walnut oil.

The info Cafe Latte posted above is not the reason we stay away from canola oil, just for the record.

I have no problem finding organic canola oil! Anyway, there are a lot of things in the food that people normally eat that are GMO. Can't stay away from them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker1999 View Post
    The info Cafe Latte posted above is not the reason we stay away from canola oil, just for the record.
    My post was more to say that the medical professionals think it's okay. Even weight watchers considers it a healthy oil. We all have to figure out what is best for us. Unless you are drinking it and consuming large quantities, I don't think it will matter whether you use a tsp here or there.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
    Anyway, there are a lot of things in the food that people normally eat that are GMO. Can't stay away from them all.
    I agree - and the amount of oil I use on a regular basis isn't my biggest worry.

The OP asked what the best neutral oil was for baking. For the amount of oil that most baked goods call for, you can really use any oil. I usually replace the majority of oil in a recipe with applesauce, but I know there are those who will find reasons to stay away from applesauce (maybe it's imported from China, or made with apples sprayed with pesticides, etc).

We we will just have to agree to disagree. Weight Watchers is a money making organization, not a health organization. We did weight watchers for awhile and did lose weight, but after reading about the dangers of our wheat and other foods that are so significantly changed from what our parents even ate, and with the alarming increase in diabetes, obesity, cancer and heart disease, we don't think it's just a "no big deal" issue. Weight Watchers wants you to lose weight, they're not necessarily interested in the health of your internal organs.

To each their own. Someone asked why we believe what we believe, I answered. Not trying to convince anyone else.

And lastly, our government (FDA) is SO unbelievably controlled by lobbyists (Monsanto, Big Pharma, et. al.) that we give them no credence whatever. And doctors don't care about nutrition either. They are also beholden to the pharmaceutical industry. The manufacturers of diabetes medicines don't want you to get healthy eating good food. They need to sell more diabetes medicine. So they make it their business to block the nutritional information that may help millions of people.

I have no problem finding organic canola oil! Anyway, there are a lot of things in the food that people normally eat that are GMO. Can't stay away from them all.

You may have no problem finding organic, but is it cold pressed (unrefined?) - probably not. The refining process is harsh and negates any of the health benefits.

All of the oils I use are organic (I prefer organic and avoid anything GMO and the most likely culprits are soy, corn, and canola among other things) but the silliness over canola oil reminds me of Weston Price Foundation nonsense. Canola and olive oil are the best nutritional choices.
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

I was wondering this too since I'm trying to avoid Canola oil. I use mostly olive oil for cooking and have started using coconut oil for cooking and baking.

We also avoided peanut oil when my son tested positive for peanut allergy. His dr said commerical peanut oil is fine but for home use there are some that are ok, others to avoid so best to avoid. Since he recently tested negative we're using it again but mostly for cooking asian dishes.

I've only recently started to read about all the GMO issues and it seems like even the organic oils could be GMO. There are some that state non-GMO so those would be the best choice.

I use Bertolli Extra Light Olive Oil for everything other than salad dressings and recipes where I want an olive-y flavor (for those recipes I use an extra-virgin olive oil).
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Quote Originally Posted by DanaSD View Post
    I've only recently started to read about all the GMO issues and it seems like even the organic oils could be GMO...
    If a product is labeled USDA Organic it cannot be GMO.

http://blogs.usda.gov/2011/12/16/org...ow/#more-37348
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

From Wikipedia:

A variety developed in 1998 is considered to be the most disease- and drought-resistant Canola variety of rapeseed to date. This and other recent varieties have been produced by using genetic engineering. In 2011 96% of the acres sown were genetically modified canola.

Canola oil is made at a processing facility by slightly heating and then crushing the seed. Almost all commercial grade canola oil is then refined using hexane. Finally, the crude oil is refined using water precipitation and organic acid, "bleaching" with clay, and deodorizing using steam distillation.

No Thanks. We'll pass.

Angelina

May I ask why do you like it better? To me the oil should be tasteless...what does safflower do differently from canola?
    I had a bad experience with canola that was, I think, rancid .........a friend made some cookies and I could really taste the oil. So, realizing that canola could be tasted, I switched to the safflower oil and have never had a problem. It is really tasteless and does very well in baked good.

I use coconut oil for baking too. I can't taste any coconut in the finished products... or in the oil. It just tastes like nothing to me!