Community Message Boards

Thread: Crafty people: Will seam tape melt ribbon? Other ideas?

Crafty people: Will seam tape melt ribbon? Other ideas?

Yes, I know, I need to learn how to sew. But for right now...

I need to attach wire edged ribbon (kind of gauze like, lots of metallic threads --- not sure if it is organza or just mesh or what. It is the stuff Costco has out right now if that helps) to the backing of my new tree skirt. But we all know I don't sew. The ribbons are a mix of these kind of styles:

This is one I bought. It says:

Fibre content: 60% Nylon, 40% Polyester
    Keep away from Flame or Direct Heat Source

Then I bought two that are mostly gauze/sheer kinda like this:

Then two that are more solid with metallic embellishment:

I'm thinking of three options to attach it and keep it from unraveling:

1. Seam tape. Unfortunately I think it might just melt the ribbon.

2. Packing tape over the edge of the ribbon. Then staples.

Thoughts? Other options?

The seam tape will probably not work both because of the heat and because the wire will make it difficult. Do you have a hot glue gun? That would probably hold it. I'm trying to visualize what you mean by "to the backing of my new tree skirt". Why would you want it attached to the back? Are you putting it on the front of the skirt then hiding the end on the back? How long will the piece on the back be? I know you don't sew but could you just take a few stitches with a hand needle to hold it in place?

The ribbon is beautiful.

Patt
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...
    "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude" Jimmy Buffet

Well I currently have a 90" tablecloth as the tree skirt. I'm adding a flannel back to it to give it some depth. I'm attaching the ribbon to the back of the flannel piece (both edges) then bringing it around to the front. So the attachment area can be ugly.

Hard to explain. End result will be this idea except solid, overlapping ribbon:

What about glue dots? They have permanent ones. I've not tried them on fabric, but I was pretty impressed with the hold when I used it on wood.

The hem tape might work if you are very careful, but I'd try it on scraps, press from the back of the fabric (which means the ribbon has to be pretty well pinned or basted to hold it in place and you won't see it if it moves.) and/or use a pressing cloth. DO NOT press directly on that ribbon.

Don't know if you've seen a Texas homecoming mum, but they have tons of ribbons and hot glue. I've only had trouble with melting on the silver, plasticky ones. You can use low temp hot glue on those if you are careful, but it doesn't adhere as well. Actual fiber ones should be okay. Hot glue can be messy though and hard ton control a fine bead, which you would want with the sheer ribbons especially. Tacking it could make it more likely the ribbons would get pulled by gifts being moved, etc.

I'd really want to stitch it down, and to be honest, this would be a very simple thing to learn on, not take much time, and you can get a basic sewing machine for around $100 or less. Very simple straight stitches. The ability to make long stitches (topstiching) would be good, and a needle that will change positions would make edge stitching easier, but since you will have the fabric underneath, that wouldn't be as important for this project as it might be for some others. Even allowing for some practicing on separate pieces of fabric and ribbon, I think you'd save time and hassle.

My sons have done a little sewing -- you can do it! And I like your idea and ribbon choices. That's going to be very pretty!

For those waiting with baited breath...

I did a test as suggested and it worked! No melting. Stuck very well. This makes me insanely happy.

And, my husband did not freak when he realized I was doing a Christmas project. Well, once he realized I was re-doing an existing skirt and not adding another tree.

Snort on adding another tree - been there. Now it is a tree size issue.
    Anne