Community Message Boards

Thread: Toaster Ovens - Roasters - Crockpot Advice

Toaster Ovens - Roasters - Crockpot Advice

I am interested in purchasing a small countertop appliance that I could use in lieu of an oven.

I have a crockpot but after having made a number of dishes, I just don't like the results for anything other than shredded meat and I don't make it that often. I am sure it is good for chili etc. but once I have sauteed ingredients in a large pot on the stove, it is not easier for me to pour them into a crockpot. My lifestyle is such that I can be home to deal with something on the stove that needs to cook for awhile.

I have been considering a toaster oven. Mine is your very basic $50 model which essentially melts cheese and perhaps can do a small piece of salmon. I know people have recommended the Breville but that seems like overkill for my purposes as I don't want to spend $250 for a toaster oven. Are there any toaster ovens in the $100 or under category that can actually be used as an oven - perhaps to even bake a few chocolate chip cookies?

I have been reading up on the Ninja Cooking System and the

‎ninjacooking.ninjakitchen.com

NuWave Oven Official Website - As Seen on TV Countertop Appliance

I am innately prejudiced against any appliance that is "as seen on TV" - a visceral reaction so I am intensely skeptical of the claims.

Any advice on something that might fill my appliance niche?

Have you read these reviews? http://www.consumersearch.com/toaste...121115023621:s

I have the Cuisinart and probably use it more than I do my stove's oven.

I have a Cuisinart toaster/convection oven, and I use it a lot for smaller items. It has a true temperature control for baking, and the toaster part is also very good.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I also own the Cuisinart Convection/Toaster oven and I use it 3-4 times per week to cook, and the hubby makes toast in it as well so it's replaced our toaster! We had a white one for years and when we remodeled the kitchen I broke down and bought a new one even though the first one hadn't died. I bought the stainless/black model at Costco for $100. I think the all-stainless one is $170 most other places, but we have both black and stainless in our kitchen so it worked well for us.

My regular wall oven isn't convection, so this feature is wonderful to have. If I want to make crispy egg rolls, chicken tenders, even pizza it does a great job. I use it as a regular oven to cook casseroles too, and it's nice to bake two potatoes in this oven instead of heating up my big oven! Best and most used un-major appliance in my kitchen!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Nothing to add, but Jewel, it's so nice to "see" you here! Keep coming around! That toaster oven sound like a great investment.

Vicky

I have a Breville Toaster Oven and love, love, love it...we live in South FL, and I can't tell you the last time I even turned on my big oven! I didn't want it, because of the price, but you can always find them on sale somewhere...it is the best appliance in vestment we've made...well, except for the Nespresso machine that just arrived

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Quote Originally Posted by gabbyh View Post
    I have a Breville Toaster Oven and love, love, love it... ~Gail
    Ditto. I much prefer using this to my big oven. I can fit a 9X9 in it which is usually all the bigger I need unless we're having company.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

I had a Nuwave. I really loved it. It made excellent proteins (roasts, salmon, pork chops, bacon), perhaps some of the best I've ever made. Unfortunately, it was a pain-in-the-xyz to clean (specifically the wire rack), so we finally let it go. Eventually, I ended up wanting to make something with it, and everyone in the family would groan because the clean up was a pain. I sprayed the rack w/cooking spray, but still spent way too much time cleaning that thing with a toothbrush. Soaking didn't seem to help.

I made very few non-protein items in it, so can't speak to those.

I still miss it sometimes. Perhaps they have improved the rack by now.

Quote Originally Posted by donleyk View Post
    Ditto. I much prefer using this to my big oven. I can fit a 9X9 in it which is usually all the bigger I need unless we're having company.
    **Sorry, Amarante, I know you don't want one of those and I don't mean to steal your thread**

It says in the product description that it can reheat foods and defrost frozen foods. That is really all I use my microwave for, and I would love to replace it with a toaster oven provided it can do those things. Do you find it performs well with those tasks? And I guess you would not be able to use plastic containers, right?

We also have a Breville Toaster Oven and I can say without reservation that it is one the best appliances we have ever purchased . I know it is expensive, but we seldom use our range anymore. I baked an apple pie in it yesterday and there is an acorn squash baking in it now, plus we use it every morning for breakfast. It is just a workhorse!

The one thing I don't like about my Cuisinart is the rear-loading crumb tray. After reading all the great reviews about the Breville I think that's the one I'll get when the Cuisinart dies.

All food for thought - no pun intended.

9 x 9 seems like a strange capacity size.

What size pans do the various ovens accept - I have read that some take 12" pizzas.

Cleaning up would be a major consideration so if the Nuwave is that difficult forget about it. I have a very nice indoor grill type electric pan and because the electric part can't be removed, it's a pain to clean so I think twice about hauling it out.

Are these huge and heavy as I have limited counter space and if I am prepping major, I would have to move the toaster oven elsewhere.

Amarante, my Breville came with a pizza pan and broiler/roasting pan. And, yes, it will accomodate a 12" pizza. I failed to add in my previous post that we have the convection model. I just took some approx. measures and they are 10-3/4" high, 12-1/3" deep, and 18" high. Hopes this helps.

I have the compact Breville. It is a rectangle oven space so other pans fit in it but I didn't know the sizes. Sorry for the confusion. I ordered the pizza stone that was suggested or featured when I bought it.... and it didn't fit.

It reheats very well, it has a feature to indicate if something is frozen, and it's a regular oven so no plastic.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

My Cuisinart is approx. 16x16x10. I put 10" pie dishes, oval casseroles, and a square baking dish in it.

Some further questions

1) In reading reviews of the Breville, people have complained about how hot the exterior becomes - I assume it becomes hot but does the whole exterior become as hot as the interior of an oven?

2) What do you actually cook in there - does it fit two chicken breasts? a whole chicken to roast? cakes?

3) Is the Breville too heavy to move on any kind of regular basis - i.e. my microwave is a fairly large size and I wouldn't want to regularly move it from the counter

4) amazon has refurbished Breville ovens for about $180 which puts them in the same price range as the Cuisinart - or maybe I am confusing Cuisinart models in terms of price range. Is it worth the price differential.

5) I am trying to get a sense of what people actually cook beyond the obvious like baked potatoes. Do you actually cook recipes - most of mine seem to be for four - i.e. four chicken breasts. Obviously one can scale down but I would love to be able to picture what you cook in there.

6) Do you bake in it? Most of my recipes seem to be for 9x13 cakes except for some bar cookies which are 8x8 - and of course layer cakes but I assume only one layer at a time? How many chocolate chip cookies would fit and cook well? I've tried a few in my toaster oven but the results have been terrible.

Thanks for any input.

In the past couple weeks I've used the toaster oven for chicken enchiladas, roasted veggies, focaccia, and apple crisp.

Here is the link for the one I bought at Costco. I believe it's the same size as the 'regular' Cuisinart found at Bed, Bath and other stores, it's just black and stainless. Not sure if you're a Costco member but it's worth a shot!

http://www.costco.com/Cuisinart%c2%a....11294723.html

I use mine like a smaller version of my regular oven. General rule of thumb is if it fits, it goes in the toaster oven. I haven't tried baking anything in it, mainly because aside from cookies I'm not the most proficient baker in the world and I want no additional strikes against me! I have made cornbread in my smaller cast iron skillet with great results. What mine is used for the most:

Roasted vegetables
    Casseroles
    Bake/broil chicken breasts, pork tenderloin, pork chops
    Baked potatoes
    Roasted Garlic
    Homemade chicken tenders (convection)
    Egg rolls (convection)
    Cornish Game Hens
    Toast (toaster feature)

As I said, it's replaced our toaster, so English Muffins, Bagels and the occasional frozen waffle gets a turn in this thing!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I do have access to Costco -

I am still wondering about what size pans would fit in each respectively as they might be a deal breaker for me if one could take 9x13 pans as a lot of my recipes are for that size pan - and also I am not sure whether you can fit four chicken breasts in a smaller pan.

I have been reading reviews on amazon and elsewhere - of course that is a quicksand because I generally get so confused and over think that I don't buy anything - which is why I still have my admittedly terrible el cheap Toaster Oven with a handle that keeps falling off.

Lost the Cuisinart in a power surge a few days ago. Decided to try the Breville Smart Oven this time (along with a single surge protector). Dh picked one up today and I baked a frittata tonight. Had to adjust the time and temp, but guess that's part of the learning curve. Don't care for the enamel baking & broiling pan. I'm going to use the stainless steel one that was in the Cuisinart instead. I like the larger window and the front loading crumb tray.

A note on capacity: I baked a regular sized bundt cake in the Breville, and a 9x13 pan fits as well. Not every 9x13 fits, but one without handles coming off the sizes fits. The bundt cake turned out perfectly.

As to timing: I am still learning. I am reducing temperature by 25 degrees due to convection, and checking early. My last attempt was 2 8x4 loaves of zucchini bread. They recipe had a range of 40-60 min (which is a huge range!). I checked at 40 min and they appeared done, but later found that the middle portions were not quite cooked through. A work in progress, which could easily have happened in my regular oven, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawna View Post
    As to timing: I am still learning. I am reducing temperature by 25 degrees due to convection, and checking early. My last attempt was 2 8x4 loaves of zucchini bread. They recipe had a range of 40-60 min (which is a huge range!). I checked at 40 min and they appeared done, but later found that the middle portions were not quite cooked through. A work in progress, which could easily have happened in my regular oven, as well.

Do you use the convection setting a lot?

I have an Oster toaster oven. DH bought it after our last one died, not sure where he got it. It's just OK. easy to burn things in it, important to not put anything in before it comes to temp and watch while baking. It also turns itself off automatically after about 45 min. I use it to toast nuts, heat French bread, that kind of thing. not real baking. Also it broils so I use it occasionally for that because it has a window so I can see what's going on, in contrast to my large oven which has the ridiculous "closed door broiling" which is completely, 100% useless. It's big enough for an 8x11 pan. I would never attempt cookies in it. I would not buy this one again.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown