Community Message Boards

Thread: how do you all cook corned beef and cabbage?

how do you all cook corned beef and cabbage?

I have been craving corned beef. My grocery store sells it pre-packaged in the brine. Do you just boil it in water or chicken stock and throw the cabbage in at the end? I've never bought/made it before, I just have a hankerin'!

Rebecca

Corned beef and cabbage is one of my all time favorites. My mom used to make it on the stove in simmering water for 3 hours or so, adding cabbage in at the last 1/2 hour or so. I like to make mine in the crockpot, all day, adding the cabbage during the last hour. But, my dad now makes it by boiling it, then he puts in the oven with a brown sugar topping on it. It is excellent! I am not sure if it is just brown sugar or if he makes a glaze with 7-up, similar to how he glazes his ham. Let me know if you are interested in this way, and I can ask him.

Enjoy!!
    Last edited by auntjojo; 09-22-2001 at 01:45 PM.

I have a really good one that is made in the pressure cooker with cabbage (duh), turnips and potatoes with a horseradish sauce. I will be happy to post it if anyone is interested.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Cool

Call me a freak, but I can't hack the plain 'ol-boiled-cabbage-and-potato thing. Yes, I boil my corned beef with the little packet of goodies in plain water, but I may also toss in sliced garlic, dill, caraway seeds, thyme, rosemary and vinegar. Since the boiled cabbage makes me yawn, I'll usually stir-fry mine with garlic in the manner I described about a week ago on another thread. In this household, corned beef and cabbage is served with stir-fried cabbage and rice!

I simmer mine - and when I mean simmer I mean only seeing tiny bubbles rise to the surface. Boiling ruins corn beef so be careful! Anyway I simmer it in a dutch oven with an onion studded with cloves, a couple of garlic cloves, about 10 peppercorns and a bay leaf. You can also add a can of beer which I do if available. I don't buy the corn beef that has a spice pack but if you use it just add an onion and bay leaf. I cook it for a minimum of 3 hours then take it out and place it in an oven, sometimes putting a brown sugar mixture on it like suggested above. While it's in the oven I add new potatoes, cabbage or broccoli to the water and cook til tender. Of course Irish Soda Bread goes great with it too. It's a good idea to cover the corn beef while it's warming in the oven because it will dry out if you don't.

Thumbs up

I put my corned beef in a large pot, cover with water. UNCOVERED! When the water boils, you get some scummy stuff on the top. I dump out the water, put in fresh water, the spices that come with the package, add a bay leaf or two. When it comes to a boil again, turn it down to just a bare simmer, cover and let it cook for about 1 hour per pound. I usually flip the corned beef over half way during the cooking time. When it is done, I remove the corned beef to a carving board, cover with foil. Dump the cabbage pieces in the cooking water (cut in quarters), and cook them until barely done. In the meantime, I cook my new potatoes in the pressure cooker.
    Serve with horsradish, and Grey Poupon Country mustard and of course dill pickles. If there is any left, it makes great sandwiches on rye bread!
    Curleytop

I am 100% Irish decent and while my grandmother came to the US as a married woman, she couldn't shake a stick at this recipe!!!(But then it was probably because she was "shanty" Irish and not "lace-curtain" Irish, meaning she never had a piece of beef, never mind a piece that had been corned!!! It is by far THE best corned beef around...

Corned Beef

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients

This recipe was originally posted by Sneezles.

This is a recipe that I got from Bon Appetit years and years ago, I had hoped that Epicurious would have the recipe listed but it's not there. I am writing it from memory as the actual recipe is in storage but have made it so many times that the written recipe is just an after thought!

1 5-6 lb corned beef
    2 Bay leaves
    8-10 peppercorns
    1 tbs sesame oil
    1/4 cup honey
    2 tbs Dijon mustard
    Procedure

Place beef in large Dutch oven and cover with cold water. You may need a brick wrapped in foil to weight it down so it stays covered with water.Place in fridge overnight. Remove from fridge and drain. Refill with fresh water and place on stove; add the bay leaves and peppercorns. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Drain, cool and refridge overnight. Remove from fridge about 1 hour before baking. In a small saucepan mix oil, honey and mustard. Heat, stirring constantly about 15 minutes. Trim fat from beef and make slashes in meat. Brush with the honey mixture; cover with foil. Bake at 325 approx 3 hours. Let stand about 15 minutes and slice across the grain.
    Last edited by sneezles; 09-22-2001 at 11:47 PM.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thumbs up Recipes...please

auntjojo,
    Please ask your Dad for his special brown sugar glaze recipe, it sounds great...

Wendy,
    Please post your pressure cooker recipe...I love horseradish...

Thanks to all you guys for these great suggestions...yummy!!
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Cooks Illustrated had a recipe on making your own corned beef a couple of years ago. There is no comparison in it and store bought corned beef. It was excellant. I think it took 4-5 days to make but worth it. I would be glad to supply the recipe if anyone is interested. (assuming I can find it)

Originally posted by Hoosier65
    Cooks Illustrated had a recipe on making your own corned beef a couple of years ago. There is no comparison in it and store bought corned beef. It was excellant. I think it took 4-5 days to make but worth it. I would be glad to supply the recipe if anyone is interested. (assuming I can find it)

I would definitely be interested in the recipe if you can dig it up! My grandmother used to make her own corned beef (from memory), and I've always wanted to try it myself... but have never found a recipe.

lorilei,
    If you have The Joy of Cooking you should be able to find a recipe in there. When we lived in Singapore I had to make my own. It was very good.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Interesting, sneezles, I never thought to look there. Thanks for the tip.

Gabbyh, and anyone else interested,

Talked to my dad today, and it is very easy to make his brown sugar corned beef. After it has simmered, sprinkle some brown sugar on top and bake at 325 for 15-30 minutes. He says sometimes he will drizzle some pineapple juice on top, but not very often.

I would be careful not to bake to long, so it won't dry out. Thanks Rebecca for starting this thread - corned beef has been added to the weekly menu!

ENJOY!

I've been using this recipe for corned beef lately. It takes all afternoon but is the hands down best tasting corned beef I've ever eaten. I think you could do this in a pressure cooker but I'm not sure about a crock pot.Stove Top Corned Beef
    Serves 6-8

1 (3 pound) corned beef
    2 (12 oz) cans beer, light or dark*
    2 cups water (or more to cover)
    10 black peppercorns
    6 whole Allspice berries
    2 bay leaves
    cup chopped parsley*
    2 teaspoons salt
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
    3 whole leeks, cleaned but left whole
    1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced
    pound large carrots, cut into 3 inch pieces
    pound small red potatoes
    1 pound turnips, peeled and quarted
    1 head cabbage, cut into 6ths or 8ths secured with toothpicks
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Put washed corned beef into Dutch Oven on top of stove. Add beer, water, bay leaves, peppercorns, parsley, allspice and salt.
    Simmer for hour.
    Add garlic, leeks, and onion. Cover and simmer for 3 hours or until meat is very tender. In last 25 minutes or so of cooking, add carrots, potatoes, turnips, and cabbage. Salt and pepper to taste.
    Serve with horseradish sauce or mustard.

Note: When the meat is tender, I remove Dutch Oven from stove and strain the broth. I add the broth back into the cleaned Dutch Oven and cook the potatoes, etc. I sometimes cook the cabbage separately in a covered skillet in which Ive sauteed minced garlic in a small amount of butter. Add shredded cabbage, salt and pepper to taste and simmer until cabbage is done to your liking. If youre in a hurry you can add cup boiling water to skillet. Cover and cook.

*I often make a Bouquet Garni with the peppercorns, allspice, bay leaves and whole parsley. Chopped makes a mess in the Dutch Oven.
    * I use light beer, not light in calories but in color. Dark is fine but can make the carrots pick up some bitterness.

Gabbyh,

I will be happy to post the recipe but it will be a couple of days as my book is at my sister's and I won't be able to get over there yet.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine