Community Message Boards

Thread: Does Warm Water Shrink Clothes?

Does Warm Water Shrink Clothes?

I always wash clothes in cold water, but I wasn't paying attention and right now my jeans, cotton shirts and pants are in a warm cycle with a cold rinse. I know hot water can shrink clothes---what about warm?
    (I always air dry my clothes.)

I'm so upset about this!
    “It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.----Krishnamurti

I haven't found warm water to shrink my clothing. What I have found to shrink is the dryer. I never dry my clothing except for the raggedy stretched out stuff that I don't wear in the presence of other humans.

I almost always wash warm, rinse cold. dry on low or at the most medium for cotton towels. Nothing every shrinks. Rarely rarely use hot anything for washing or drying.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

I have had some things I had to wash hot and worried about shrinking -- but hung dry, they were fine, It is the heat when drying that is the biggest threat for shrinkage. The fibers contract as they dry

Thanks! You've made me feel better-----but tomorrow will tell the tale for sure (assuming they are dry, which I think they will be).
    “It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.----Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by EllenL View Post
    Thanks! You've made me feel better-----but tomorrow will tell the tale for sure (assuming they are dry, which I think they will be).
    Lucky to be in GA-- I always air-dry my clothes, too, and washed jeans yesterday so they'd be dry by tomorrow afternoon but (although sunny) it is cool up here so they might be a *tad* damp...
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

I mostly wash in warm and dry on medium, and rarely does anything shrink -- except jeans, which stretch right out again. The exceptions are things that must be washed in cold water. They get dried on low, and are always okay. I have the Duet Sport machines (front-loaders), and I'm very happy with the variety of wash/dry options!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I have always washed most of our clothes in warm water. I believe it is the hot dryer that is the culprit in shrinking clothes. And for me, eating chocolate seems to have a similar effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy_G View Post
    I have always washed most of our clothes in warm water. I believe it is the hot dryer that is the culprit in shrinking clothes. And for me, eating chocolate seems to have a similar effect.
    LOL! It's the closet that does it! Leaving clothes in the closet makes them smaller, season to season! (Welcome to the BB, Kathy_G!)
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy_G View Post
    Welcome, Kathy. Hopefully, we will 'see' more of you. Now, speaking of pierogis.... Can we talk on the food board? Our very good friends are from Monesson.[sp]

There is a very well known detergent that reports not to shrink clothes. HUH? Since when did detergent shrink clothes? I wash everything but towels in cold water, 5 or so minutes in the dryer to get those washing machine wrinkles out, and then air dry. Some times I will seam up my jeans, and give them a good 'tug' to lengthen them. No problem.