Community Message Boards

Thread: Bread Baking HELP Cake vs. Dry yeast

Bread Baking HELP Cake vs. Dry yeast

I would like to make my grandmother's yeast bread recipe but it calls for 2 cakes of yeast. Since cakes of yeast are no longer made available, I'm wondering if one cake of yeast is the same as one package of dry yeast. Her recipe calls for mashing/dissolving 2 cakes of yeast in warm water (3 cups).

Any guidance would be great appreciated! Happy Thanksgiving!

Here is a link to a conversion table: http://www.redstaryeast.com/lessons-...nversion-table. See if the conversion makes sense for the amount of flour used in the recipe.

First of all, I still haven't tried using dried yeast in my recipes calling for fresh yeast. However, I've collected a lot of information for the day I dare take the plunge. Some suggestions come from helpful members of this board. Sorry if it's information overload. The times I was lucky to find fresh yeast it was always the 0.6 ounce packages. If your grandmother used the 2-ounce packages mentioned below that would change the calculation. Most of my old Swedish recipes call for 50 grams fresh yeast which pretty much equals 3 of the 0.6-ounce packages. If you post the recipe, perhaps someone can help you figure out the size your grandma used. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

Fresh Yeast vs. Dried Yeast

Here is a yeast conversion table from Rose Levy Beranbaum -

To convert fresh cake yeast to instant yeast, for 1 packed tablespoon/0.75 ounce cake yeast use 2 teaspoons instant yeast or 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry

1 teaspoon instant (aka instant active dry)=1-1/4 teaspoons active dry or 1-1/2 packed teaspoons fresh cake yeast

1 teaspoon of instant yeast or active dry yeast = 3.2 grams

Instant yeast can be added directly to the flour without proofing. it is available nationally under the following names:

Fleischmann's Bread Machine Yeast or Rapid Rise
    Red Star's Quickrise
    Red Star's Instant Active Dry
    SAF instant
    SAF Gourmet Perfect Rise

I store the unused yeast in an airtight container in the freezer where it stays fresh for as long as 2 years. (if it's a large quantity i store about 2 tablespoons of it separately so that the larger amount doesn't get subjected to oxygen and deteriorate more quickly. Instant yeast has more live yeast cells than active dry.

fresh yeast
    Equivalents: 2-ounce cake = 3 X 0.6-ounce cakes Notes: This form of yeast usually comes in 0.6-ounce or 2-ounce foil-wrapped cakes. It works faster and longer than active dry yeast, but it's very perishable and loses potency a few weeks after it's packed.
    Substitutes: active dry yeast (Substitute one package or 2 1/4 teaspoons for each .6-ounce cake of compressed yeast) OR instant yeast (Substitute one package or 2 1/4 teaspoons for each cake of compressed yeast) OR bread machine yeast (Substitute 2 1/4 teaspoons for each cake of compressed yeast)

Found here: http://www.foodsubs.com/LeavenYeast.html

To proof yeast, add 1 teaspoon sugar to 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°F). Stir in 1 envelope yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons); let stand 10 minutes. If the yeast foams to the 1/2 cup mark, it is active and you may use it in your recipe. RapidRise™ yeast loses its fast rising capabilities if dissolved in liquid, and will require two complete rises.

The Active Dry has larger granules and it is necessary to dissolve completely for the yeast to work. Therefore, Active Dry works best if dissolved in warm water (100° to 110°F). To use the electric mixer method, combine yeast with 1/4 to 1/3 of the flour and other dry ingredients.

One .6 ounce cake is equivalent to 1 envelope of dry yeast. One 2-ounce cake is equivalent to three envelopes of dry yeast. Follow the directions on the package recommended for the type of yeast you substitute

Different types of yeast are pictured here
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/yeastbreadtip.htm
    Last edited by swedish cook; 11-20-2012 at 08:12 PM.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

I'm surprised the Red Start chart uses more, because for as long as I can remember I have read, been told and used a 1 packet/1 scant T/ 1 cake conversion. Being slightly plus or minus your ideal amount will not cause the bread to fail. It may rise a little faster or slower, but that happens with room temps too. You can also have some subtle flavor variations, but for most people, the length of the rise will be the most noticeable difference.

Thank you Baker friends! This is all very helpful. I'll give it a try today and see how I do! Happy Thanksgiving.