Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite commercial?

What is your favorite commercial?

Yes, I'm a dork!!!!!!!!! There's a commercial for some insurance company in which a guy is in a pickup truck and he's talking to his dog (who is driving the truck). All of a sudden the dog starts driving after some ducks and the truck goes flying into a lake and the guy is screaming "for the love of god!" (or something like that). For some reason this commercial just makes me crack up. I even laugh just thinking about it. What is YOUR favorite commercial?

Let me repeat...I know I'm a dork!
    Chrisi

ohhh...ohhh...I have one...don't know if I can really explain it but I will try. I am not even sure what it is for.

So, this guy goes in for an interview and he is telling the owner of the company how he is going to make "Dumbass and Dumbass industries the best....and I promise to increase the sales of Dumbass industries by 30%." He continues on for like 5 minutes.
    Then they pan over the owners name plate on his desk...and it says Mr. Dumass...and they owner is like "It's Dumaaaas."

Don't know if that made sense, but it is sooooo funny!

Great topic Chrisi!

Anita

Oh, this is easy!! There are two separate commercials they run for Quaker Chewy Granola Bars. A bunch of snippets of little kids telling all kinds of 'secrets': "My little brother was an accident!" or "The neighbors are hillbillies". "Mom had to cut up all her credit cards". "My dad cries..." Guy comes on and says "Kids talking too much? Keep 'em quiet with Quaker Chewy Granola Bars!! Absolutely cracks DH and I up every time we see either commercial!! Thank Heaven we're childless, or we'd have to REALLY lay in a supply of those granola bars!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Oh man, I also love the Mr Dumas commercial and the one granola bar commercial where the kid says to the bride "my mom says she can't believe you wore white!". What a classic! I think my all time favorite commercial is the budweiser one that came out during a super bowl a couple years back. There's two guy at the store getting a 6-pack and toilet paper and they don't have enough money for both and have to put one back. They decide to get just the bud and when she asks what kind of bag they enthusiastically answer "Paper!!!"

Suzy

I don't really have a favorite commercial that I would like to share. I do have to tell you that the ad they were running this summer for some kind of jeans....with the singing bellybuttons. That one really FREAKED me out. hehehe.

Chrisi, what a great topic! I've actually thought about starting a thread on this, too!

Jewel, I LOVE the granola bar commercial -- trips me up.

Mine would have to be the Chick-Fil-A commercial, when the cows are chewing grass in the shape of "Eat Mor Chickin" I love cows.
    "What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"
    By W. C. Fields

Originally posted by Jewel
    Oh, this is easy!! There are two separate commercials they run for Quaker Chewy Granola Bars. A bunch of snippets of little kids telling all kinds of 'secrets': "My little brother was an accident!" or "The neighbors are hillbillies". "Mom had to cut up all her credit cards". "My dad cries..." Guy comes on and says "Kids talking too much? Keep 'em quiet with Quaker Chewy Granola Bars!! Absolutely cracks DH and I up every time we see either commercial!! Thank Heaven we're childless, or we'd have to REALLY lay in a supply of those granola bars!
    "My sister dresses like a floosy!" I crack up every time I see it!

PS DH also laughs at the dog driving the truck!
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

This one is easy. I love the commercial for Sprint's cellular phone service where the wife told the husband "I want to go hiking tomorrow" (or something like that) and the husband heard "bring home Charro". And of course, Charro is sitting in the next room. I thought I would die laughing the first time I saw it, and it still makes me laugh out loud. I just wonder what type of mind could think up such a commercial, especially given that Charro has been out of the limelight for some time. Just amazing!
    The world's existence is sustained by kindliness. The very existence of those bereft of it burdens the earth.
    -Tirukkural 58:572

OK. I haven't seen any one of these commercials except the singing belly buttons (which I think is sick, but I loved it anyway. My belly button would be a barritone, though)

My favorite is for Fed Ex online service.

Boss: Who can give me ideas on cutting costs?

Dead Silence.

Computer Geek: Well, we could save 10% by using Fed Ex online

Dead Silence

Spiffy Business Guy: Well, we could save 10% by using Fed Ex online

Applause & murmers of support

Computer Geek: You said exactly what I said, but you did the hand thing...

Anyway, it does crack me up and it reminded me of the many years in the work force when others would blatently present my ideas right in front of my face! I guess I'm the dork.

We've seen it twice, and I don't even know the product, we've laughed so hard through it.

A little boy is in the driveway of a house they just moved into, bored, no one to play with, and his mother is counseling him, in sign language, saying something to the effect of "Don't worry, kids will get to know you, you'll be fine".

A neighbor (woman) is watching, goes onto the internet to learn sign language. She takes a pie out to the little boy, and while she professes to say "I baked a pie for you", as he takes it, the subtitle says "I baked your dog for you" - he drops the pie and runs away.

You're thinking it's going to be a heart-warming Hallmark commercial, and it's not. It's too hysterical for words.

I'm thinking it's Ameritech, or AT&T, or something.

Edited to state: No disrespect meant for the hearing impaired. I apologize if this offended anyone.
    Last edited by SandyM; 09-28-2001 at 09:17 AM.

Well...

There are so many I love - the Kodak Disc commercials with the children; the Hallmark commercials, the wine commercials and some of the commercials for the Mormons (like the biker who gets splashed by a speeding car and then encounters the car pulled over with engine trouble, and he stops and helps - but my very favorite in the whole world is an E. F. Hutton Commercial.

(Bear with me)

Scene: rainy day. Mom with kids is in the middle of the rain, in a city, without an umbrella. It is rush hour and there are no taxis to be had anywhere. She keeps trying to hail a cab, and they pass her. Finally, a cab pulls over and a business man gets out. The woman bundles her kids into the cab and it pulls out and drives away.

The man - without an umbrella - turns and starts trying to hail a cab. (He had seen her, told the cab to let him out so she could have the cab)

The announcer talks about heroes we encounter every day. Chokes me up every time.
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

Chrisi -

I just saw that commercial yesterday and thought it was hysterical.

One of my all time favorites was one set in a mansion. An elegantly dressed man is crossing the room to an equally dressy lady. You think it's going to be some jewelry or perfume commercial - one of those overdone, gag-me-with-a-spoon things right out of a romance novel. But then the guy leans on a table and it tips, he falls down and I'm hysterical. But darn it, as with many great commercials, I can't remember what it was for????!!!!

I also used to love the old Wendy's commercials like the Russian fashion show. Now, not exactly PC (showing the Russian women all dressed in grey and looking quite frumpy), but I couldn't help but giggle!

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I always laugh at the M&M commercials. I can't keep a favorite, since they always seem to come up with something demented to set me laughing again, but I do like the ones where the guy comes across Red, Blue and Yellow eating M&Ms, points out that "You're eating your own kind. That's unnatural." so they switch bags with each other and just keep eating. Or the one where he covers the screen with his hand, because "I like to eat alone." LOL!!

I also like the ones with Blue and the blond Baldwin (I confess I don't remember his name) where they are rehearsing a scene, and Blue shuts him out of the apartment. LOL!!

The recent set, featuring the (apparently female) Green as a pinup-type don't quite pack the same punch, but I do laugh at the one where she's in her trailer getting dressed.

An older favorite was the Stroh's beer commercials, especially the one where the guy sends his dog Alex in to get him a beer, you hear the icebox opening, the bottle opening, beer pouring and then the dog lapping up the beer. LOL!! Or the one with the guys in the cabin in the woods. "If you think about it, get two!"

Or what about the spoof of the slasher movie where there's a beautiful woman alone in a cabin, far in the woods, the guy with the chain saw breaks in and chases her, and she just keeps on running and running, leaving him breathlessly behind. Okay, I've forgotten the tag line, or even the sponsor, so I guess the ad wasn't all THAT effective, but it still makes me laugh. (I think it might have been a Nike 'Just do it' ad, but can't remember for sure.)
    Last edited by Little Bit; 09-24-2001 at 08:14 AM.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist

* Quaker Chewy Granola Bars- "we don't pay for Cable, Mom had to cut up all her credit cards, can't believe you wore white, Dad had to get a new Secretary, my sister dresses like a floosey"
    * Mr. Dumbass-Dumass
    *Circuit City- "OK we're only going in for one thing"- and the minute the guy hits the door, he bolts from his GF and runs like a kid-giggling; they come out with an armload of stuff
    * I know there are many more, but I am having a brain-****! There are sooo many, but those are the ones that come to mind.
    Zinnia

There were some that aren't so funny anymore though, ya know?
    (There was a Geico one involving airplanes,etc.)
    Last edited by Zinnia; 09-24-2001 at 08:18 AM.

Lindrusso...You reminded me of another hilarious one. It's for La Creme Yogurt.

Man sitting in chair in large dining room. Lady in French maid outfit starts spoon feeding him the creamy yogurt. Speaking in a French accent...."Creamy, oui? Smooth, oui?"

And then 14 yr old daughter and friend walk in...."My parents are so weird."

I love that one!

Anita

I love the Granola Bars, one also. The way that little girl says 'My dad cries' is just hysterical. My other favorite is a commercial I only saw once or twice a few years ago. There was a father talking to his son, explaining that his son was going to have to quit school and get a job to help support the family. The little boy says - 'But I don't even know how to read', to which the father replies 'I wouldn't let that slip in a job interview'. OK, probably doesn't sound funny, but it was. I think it was an ad for some financial planning services.
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

I have one more, and the sad part is that I've only seen it twice, and both times were ONLY during the 2000 Superbowl. It is a commercial for Tobasco sauce...you have this very Redneck-looking young guy sitting outside on his porch with a HUGE pizza. He's got a bottle of Tobasco in his hand and he's shaking fire-breathing amounts of hot sauce on each slice of pizza before he shoves it into his mouth. Keeps slugging sauce, keeps gnawing on the pizza. Total silence in the commercial except for the bugs and birds. Suddenly you hear a buzz, and the camera focuses on a mosquito that lands on his thigh and takes a long drink...the guy looks down, watches the mosquito take off...and then watches the mosquito explode into a fireball!! LOVE IT!! Never saw that commercial again! Some of the best commercials, of course, are during the SuperBowl, I could just never understand why they put that kind of money and thought into production and then rarely show them again!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I don't watch TV at home, only when I am stuck in hotel rooms. I haven't seen too many commercials for quite awhile, but I really like one that is out for Discover card. A man is at a pet store with his daughter. They look at a cute little beagle that has a hefty price tag ($300 or $600). The dad then looks over to the next cage. It is a hyena and his price has been discounted to $25. A pet store worker walks up and the dad says "Why doesn't anybody want this little guy." The pet store worker shrugs and starts to feed the hyena. The hyena then drags the pet store guy into the cage. The dad then walks off, holding his daughter and covering her eyes.

I laugh whenever I see this commercial.
    http://www.pjrc.com

No matter how big or soft your bed is, you still have to get out of it.
    -Grace Slick, raucous rock diva

I love all Monster.com ads. The new one with the guy in a clam suit really cracks me up. I also love the Green Bay Watch ad for Diet Dr. Pepper. It meshes well with my warped sense of humor.

Little Bit, I think that Nike ad with the chainsaw was intended for the Olympics last summer, but a lot of people complained about it and it was pulled. Anyone else recall that uproar?

Jewel, I remember well that Tobasco commercial. It took my prize as best Superbowl commercial that year. Just hilarious.

The few that stick out in my mind are (and forgive me cuz I rarely remember the actual products they're endorsing) the commercial for Visa where the dad buys his daughter a rabbit and the pet shop owner is calling in his identification which takes forever and the rabbits multiply. The look on the little girls face is priceless. I also like the commercial for cereal where the little girl is eating her bowl of cereal and her dad is fantasizing about what she'll be when she grows up. It shows her putting her face in the bowl and dumping it all over her. In case you haven't noticed a trend here I have 2 little girls of my own. I also use to like the pet.com commercials with the talking hand puppet. And I can't remember the exact premise but there was a commercial (probably for another dot com where someone said the line "that's all right for you mister fancy pants". Anyone remember it? Whenever I saw it I'd laugh my head off. Good thread BTW. We need something uplifting.

Did you guys know there's a website called ADCRITIC.COM where you can view ads? It seems kind of strange, but it's fun. Most ads are annoying, esp when they come every 5 minutes during your favorite show. But, adcritic posts the best/funniest ads and you can watch them on your PC.

One of my favs is the EDS ad last year showing cowboys rustling up cats. At the end of the hard day one of the cowboys is wiping his arm with a cat hair pickup-roller, it has cats swimming across a stream, one cowboy gets a big scratch across his face. It's a scream.

There's also a monster.com ad where little kids talk about what they want to do when they grow up....."I want to spend all day in meaningless meetings"....."I want to reach the glass ceiling and push on it" Hilarious.

SusanMac - I love both of those commercials as well! It's hard to remember them all!

Does anyone remember a recent commercial for Ivory soap (at least I think it was Ivory) where the little girl is in the tub and they are talking about washing all your worries away? The original commercial showed the little girl dunking her head under the water as they croned on about "washing the world away" or something to that effect. Now maybe I'm just sick, but I thought it was a bit disturbing (implications of suicide) - even though I know that's not at all what they intended!

It struck me as one of those things that just slipped by some ad exec, never dreaming that there were twisted folks like me out there that would see a different angle to it. Anyway, I did notice that they stopped running that part of the commercial after a short while - perhaps I was not the only one....

The toilet paper commercial where the mom and kids are putting packages of toilet paper all over the kitchen. Then they call in their puppy and he tears in through the doggie-door. He hits the lino. running and skids out into the toilet paper fortress.

The "tag" commercial (for some computer or software company maybe) where the one guy gets tagged by another. They then start racing throughout the city. Everyone is hiding from the runner as he tries to tag someone else. There is this great scene where people are all crouched down behind trash cans, mail boxes, and sign posts so they can't be seen; moving one step to the left or right to be out of sight from the guy.

The Volkswagen Jetta commercial with Nick Drake's song "Pink Moon" in the background. Beautiful.

Those skillet meals commericals with old TV, movie, media stars. There's one with Mr. T and Loni Anderson and another with Sally Jesse Raphael and Little Richard. They are really funny.

Oh and I just have to say, I HATE that belly button singing commercial. It's creepy.
    Last edited by m4star; 09-24-2001 at 03:40 PM.
    The way to become boring is to say everything.
    -- Voltaire

Talking

The little boy says - 'But I don't even know how to read', to which the father replies 'I wouldn't let that slip in a job interview'.

LOL!!! Beacooker, this one is my favorite!!! It is for financial planning. It is similar to the one recently with the little girl, maybe 2 or 3 years old, on the tennis court and her dad is telling her to "hit through the ball" and the ball hits her racket and it falls to the ground.

The Charro one is a big favorite around our office. I just have to say that I love any of the Pepsi commercials with Bob Dole in them, especially the one with Brittney Spears singing and he tells his dog, "down, boy." If he would have been that funny during the election, I would have voted for him!
    Joey: All right, Rach. The big question is, "does he like you?" All right? Because if he doesn't like you, this is all a moo point.
    Rachel: Huh. A moo point?
    Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter. It's moo.

Has anyone ever seen the "cat-herding" commercial?

It's the funniest thing I've ever seen. It also totally failed, because I cannot remember what product/service it was advertising (maybe was a dotcom?). I think it played a lot during the superbowl 2 years ago. It featured these grizzled, seasoned cowboys talking about the life of "a cat herder", and had all these shots of guys on horseback herding cats across the desert, a river, into a paddock. And bandaging their cat scratches with these teeny bandages. The cats were hysterical.

Jennett, that is my boss's favorite commercial. She always describes our job as herding cats and when we saw that commercial we died laughing! Thanks for reminding me of it.

I just have to say that this whole post has me actually laughing out loud in my office. If I would have been drinking something, I may have actually spit it out laughing!

Oh, I've loved this thread! You guys have named a bunch of my favorites and at my last job--we spent inordinate amounts of time downloading commercials from adcritic--too funny!

There was one commercial a number of years ago that I HAVE to believe slipped by the ad agency, etc. It was for like ACE Hardware or something and it showed this old lady walking into a hardware store and asking the clerk where she could find "caulk", now if you know how to pronounce that--you can see why I was flabbergasted! It was SERIOUS! I still laugh about that one.

I've loved the spoofs on the Bud "whass up" ones that can be found on adcritic--they give me a laugh.

Kristi

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I saw another really cute one last night:

A draft horse has a scratchy ear, and can't manage to scratch the itch, no matter what he tries. A little mouse scampers up on top of something so he's high enough to reach the horses ear and scratches it nicely. The horse offers him an entire bucket of grain in thanks, but the mouse refuses, and whispers an alternative in the horse's ear. Next shot, you see the Budweiser draft horses pulling a wagon, and the little mouse riding on top of one horse's head, exulting, "Yee-ha!" as they run down the road.

LOL!!
    Anna
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist

Most of my favorites are already posted, but I don't see that anyone mentioned the Miller Lite commercials. Hubby watches lots of racing and hunting/fishing shows. We laugh when we see the one about how you can put your fish and your beer in the same cooler for 2 great tastes (we know a guy who does that) and you see the hand moving around in the cooler trying to grab a beer and not a fish.

I loved the commercial they used to have where the guy is in the hospital and the machine is beeping, then the staff all starts to sing "Tainted Love".

Oh, and that reminds me of the automotive commercials- they take the guy out of the steam room and put him on a treadmill then start and stop it at random while he's yelling "I think you have the wrong guy!"- or the one where the guy is in the hospital and he asks what the red light is. The doctor says "oh, I wouldn't worry about that for another two weeks". Or the last one they had out where the boss walks up to the employees desk. The employee has his head down on the keyboard and the boss picks up his head and says "oh, I hope you're not dead again!" -

Has anyone seen the commercial where the guy fights the bear for the salmon? I like that one, too.

Love the Charo commercial, too! I also like the ones where the woman said she was asked to "flour the children".

I am a sucker for any commercial with an animal in it. DH and I have this weird thing about chickens, we love them... the way they walk, move their necks, stare at stuff, cluck. You name it, we love it about them, just makes us giggle. There was a financial planning commercial with chickens overrunning Wall Street, standing on buildings, sticking their heads up into the camera for close-ups that we would drop everything to watch, and laugh hysterically.

Another favorite in our house are the Lycos commercials. Especially the one where the guy types in some gorgeous woman's name, I think it was Anna Kournakova, says "go get it, boy", and the black lab comes back dragging her along. Of course, we are preferential to black labs, since we share a house with one. We also love the VW commercials, all of them are so creative and make great use of music.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to desribe it as such.
    - John Holmes