Community Message Boards

Thread: Keeping Mashed Potatoes Warm

Question Keeping Mashed Potatoes Warm

I will be making good old fashioned mashed potatoes tomorrow for a church meeting (which is taking place at my house). We are going to have dinner together as a group after the meeting. The meeting will last an hour, then we will eat. The food should be ready to eat as soon as we are done with the meeting. I was going to make mashed potatoes, but can't figure out a good way of keeping them warm. A crockpot perhaps? The oven? Any ideas?
    TIA

Whip in a few minced chipotle peppers!! (Sorry, couldn't resist! )
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Potatoes microwave really well. If you have access to one, just heat them up before serving. I ususally make mine ahead and do this if I have a lot of last minute preparations with other dishes.

Smile

Definitely the crockpot - we make ahead our Christmas mashed potatoes and keep them warm and out of the way all day. If I recall correctly, just spray the crockpot with cooking spray to make clean up easy and put them on low. You'll never know the difference from 'fresh-mashed'.

Originally posted by jd
    Definitely the crockpot - we make ahead our Christmas mashed potatoes and keep them warm and out of the way all day. If I recall correctly, just spray the crockpot with cooking spray to make clean up easy and put them on low. You'll never know the difference from 'fresh-mashed'.
    Ditto.

taters

I usually nuke them for a cuople of minutes, especially at holiday times like Thanksgiving. In fact we are going to DD for dinner tonight and the potatoes are done;we will just nuke them before we eat. Vicky

I keep mashed potatoes warm all the time in the oven. After I mash them, I put them in a lighlty buttered pyrex dish. I sprinkle the top with finely shredded cheddar cheese and paprika. Cover and keep warm. The cheese melts and the paprika gives nice color. Now, I'm hungry!!

2nd ditto for the crockpot

Thank you all so much! I'm going to try the Crockpot.

PS-thanks for the giggle Jewel.