Community Message Boards

Thread: Office Open House Ideas

Office Open House Ideas

Our CEO has decided that we'll have a day at work where each department (about 20 total) will host an open house and staff will mingle from one open house to the other. Of course the majority are doing the standard cookie trays, hot chocolate and cider but you can only nosh on that for so long so I'm trying to think of something different, but easy. My department only has 4 staff so it needs to be affordable. I'd appreciate your ideas!

A "nice" sandwich, like this?

http://www.ezrapoundcake.com/archives/21343

It could be cut into individual serving sizes. You could change up the meats to your taste.

The sausage-cheese balls made with Bisquik are holiday favorites where I grew up. The recipe makes a lot and it is not expensive.

I made a cheese log last Christmas, which I thought was maybe just a little little old-fashioned, and it was inhaled by our guests. I used this recipe from Southern Living as the base, but I didn't have 2 cups of perfect pecans for the pine cone look. So, I chopped them up and added the rosemary chopped to the pecans. I formed the cheese into a log and rolled it in the pecan mixture. It was easy, and one guest asks for it every time she visits. If you have perfect pecans, it is a very cute presentation, but the deconstucted way is tasty, too. If you can't find the soft cream cheese flavors that are named in the recipe, just go with 2 of the savory ones that you like. Sometimes the brand changes the flavors that are in stock.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pine...0000000520345/

Lantana, that pinecone cheese ball is ageless. I have used it over many seasons. I cherish edible centerpieces. The only problem is you may have to make the first cut as all your guests go "Awwwww" but don't want to mess it up.

Lantana, I forgot to mention that I only have a fridge and microwave so no access to an oven. Can you serve the sausage balls at room temp or maybe warmed in a crockpot?

I love the pinecone cheeseball. It's right up my alley. Most of the staff are not foodies so something traditional tasting but is festive looking works perfect. Please keep the ideas coming.

We may have to defer to the group on the sausage ball question. I think room temp is fine, after they are cooked. I don't know if they would steam in a crockpot and get gummy. I'm sure that my family has reheated them briefly in the microwave. Any tips from others?

The search function is a miserable experience, so sorry I can't link you to the interesting posts about this recipe.

A CLBB favorite...origin is Recipegirl? This is delicious and goes over well at parties. One summer I ate it for breakfast for several days. This is easy to put together and familiar enough not to scare your coworkers.

Layered Greek Dip

8 ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
    1 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 &1/2 cups prepared hummus
    1 cup chopped cucumber
    1 cup chopped tomato
    1/4-1/2 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
    1 cup crumbled feta cheese (reduced fat is fine)
    1/3 cup sliced green onions
    pita chips and/or multigrain tortilla chips

1. In medium mixing bowl, cream together cream cheese, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, and garlic with rubber spatula until smooth and well-combined.

2. Spread cream cheese mixture into deep 9-inch pie plate or oval platter. Spread hummus on top of cream cheese layer. Sprinkle on cucumber, then tomato, olives, feta, and green onions.

3. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours. Serve with pita chips or tortilla chips.

Servings: 16
    Yield: About 2 1/2 cups of dip
    Recipe SourceAdapted from Better Homes and Gardens

I love that dip lantana posted! Sounds like your dept. needs to offset all that sweet with something savory. I grew up inhaling those Bisquick sausage cheese balls lantana suggested around the holidays. To my underage palate, I always like them better hot/warm. They tended to be greasy when they were room temp/cold. But I was around people who used homemade sausage, so maybe it was the quality of the sausage.

How about the easy Cranberry Feta rolls Sheila in MD posted a few years back? Very festive and tasty if you use the red or green tortillas.

One of our local news shows did a version of this just this week, using only cream cheese, green onion, nuts, the Craisins and BACON!
    http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/food/page/10936918/?appSession=552342618276801

Maybe pair with some savory nuts? Not that that's affordable these days, whew!!! Happy open-housing!
    I'm a Tar Heel born, I'm a Tar Heel bred.....

I agree, savory is the way to go. Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by lantana View Post

I made a cheese log last Christmas, which I thought was maybe just a little little old-fashioned, and it was inhaled by our guests. I used this recipe from Southern Living as the base, but I didn't have 2 cups of perfect pecans for the pine cone look. So, I chopped them up and added the rosemary chopped to the pecans. I formed the cheese into a log and rolled it in the pecan mixture. It was easy, and one guest asks for it every time she visits. If you have perfect pecans, it is a very cute presentation, but the deconstucted way is tasty, too. If you can't find the soft cream cheese flavors that are named in the recipe, just go with 2 of the savory ones that you like. Sometimes the brand changes the flavors that are in stock.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pine...0000000520345/
    I made this for a party last night and it was a huge hit! People didn't initially want to cut into it, as someone else mentioned---I had to go in and do the initial stabbing! I would suggest stabbing at the top rather than the bottom; after the point is gone, it looks more like a pineapple.