Community Message Boards

Thread: sides for fish tacos?

sides for fish tacos?

I am making fish tacos for dinner with friends tomorrow night. I'll have mango salsa and pico de gallo for the tacos. Any suggestion for a side dish -- vegie or carbo?

What about a Mexican or Spanish rice? I've posted a spicy rice side before that is great with Mexican. If I can find it, I'll post it again. Or what about a spicy slaw salad? Stuffed Halepeno Peppers? Black beans?

Thanks, Leanne. I actually found your recipe through the Search function - on the Favorite Rice thread. (I'm so proud of myself! ) It looks good.

Great! Congratulations on finding it - that can be quite a challenge sometimes!

I love fish tacos! How about grilled crookneck squash and zucchini brushed with oil and sprinkled with a Mexican seasoning or garlic salt, cumin and chili powder? That's always tasty. Or how about (what I call El Pollo Beans because I triy to make them like my favorite beans at a restaurant called El Pollo Asado) taking some canned pinto beans, (well rinsed and drained) put in a pot and cover with some chicken broth. (I use 2 cans of beans and 2 cans of broth.) Simmer until thickened (about 30 minutes) and then add a small can of diced green chilies, some fresh chopped tomatoes and onions. Simmer until nice and thick and the onions are tender. You can add additional seasonings like pepper, cumin, garlic , cilanto or chili.

I think the Grilled Corn and Black Bean Salad from September (I think? Maybe August?) would go well with fish tacos. The sweet & sour flavors of the salad would go well with the fruity salsa, IMO.

Yellow (saffron) rice would also go great on the side.

Fish Tacos

Will someone tell me how to make fish tacos or point me in a good direction? I have never had them, although hear they are wonderful. Thanks for any suggestions/help.
    Mary Ann