Community Message Boards

Thread: Help!! Cleaning Non-stick Cookie Sheets.

Help!! Cleaning Non-stick Cookie Sheets.

I made the bourbon salmon and some of the glaze burned onto my nonstick cookie sheets, as did the cooking spray. Maybe I should not have sprayed nonstick?

Anyway, I have tried scrubbing and more scrubbing and nothing works. Any hints for cleaning these pans? I hate to think they are ruined.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Cleaning non-stick cookie sheets

I have the same problem, so I stick foil on my sheets, and then bake. I know, I know, it defeats the purpose.....

Does the foil help them come clean, or does it just cover up the yucky spots?
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Blah! I never use cooking spray for that very reason! Cooking spray has water in it, in addition to the oil, and there's something about the water not heating as fast as the oil, and turning gooey -- I don't quite get the details, but I won't use it on cookie sheets.

Anyway - sounds funny, but I've had success soaking things in water with a fabric softener sheet. It loosens up some of the crud. If all else fails, maybe you could try something on the less-abrasive side, like Bon Ami?
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

I just read about this myself..I'm no expert by any means, but the jest of the article that I read was that if you're going to use cooking spray make sure to gauge the size of your pan so that all of the surface is covered because of leaving this residue that can't be removed. It might merit a note to the manufacturer to ask them if they have any suggestion....
    Karen

I have the same problem with one of my cooking sheets. I was able to remove some of the gumminess by making a paste of baking soda with water and then a lot of elbow grease.

Foil

Originally posted by Jessica
    Does the foil help them come clean, or does it just cover up the yucky spots?
    It just covers up the yucky spots, sadly.

This problem can be avoided by using parchment paper or lining the baking sheets with foil and if necessary, greasing the foil. (For any greasing, I would just use Crisco; you don't consume enough of the oil or fat to affect your health).

For baking sheets, I always use parchment paper and would recommend it.
    Last edited by AD; 10-06-2001 at 12:06 PM.

I believe that Cooking spray should NEVER BE USED ON NON-STICK COOKWARE OF ANY KIND! .
    I have a circulon grill pan, and I stopped using it, because it was to hard to clean. Now I use a black iron grill pan, and I can soak it in automatic dishwash detergent, and scrub all I want
    My circulon wolks work fine with a little olive oil! As far a baking sheets are concerned, only get aluminum. They conduct heat much better than stainless. You can always use foil or parchment if you have a hangup about aluminum.

I love my stainless pots WITHOUT NONSTICK COATING!
    Curleytop