Community Message Boards

Thread: Pickles?

Pickles?

I've never made homemade pickles before but want to try this year. Any T&T recipes/suggestions?

These are my two favorites. I generally make these both as refrigerator pickles but have jarred them successfully as well.

CL's Bread-and-Butter Pickles (just made a batch last night!)
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/brea...0000001823338/

Epicurious Garlic and Dill Pickles:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Pickles-230707
    Alicia

Alicia, what is the crisp factor on the Epicurious recipe? I really want that crisp, clean taste that I get from Claussen from the store, but find that the processing of most pickle recipes is too long to keep that crispness. Would really like to can my own!

I saved the Epi recipe, but does anyone have a recipe for pickles using rye bread and lots of dill? My mom used to make this, and sadly I don't have the recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by erin elizabeth View Post
    Alicia, what is the crisp factor on the Epicurious recipe? I really want that crisp, clean taste that I get from Claussen from the store, but find that the processing of most pickle recipes is too long to keep that crispness. Would really like to can my own!
    I had one lonely pickle left in one of my jars, so I just did a taste test

I can't remember the last time I bought dill pickles from a store, but I have a feeling that these may not be as crisp as Claussen pickles. I do tend to cut my spears on the small side, so that may be a factor.
    Alicia

The nature of the canning process takes a lot of the crisp out of pickles. In order to replicate a Claussen style crisp pickle, you need to ferment them in a crock and store them there as well- skipping the canning process.

I just read Wild Fermentation this past week by Sandor Katz, and he talked a bit about pickle making. I was more interested in kraut when I read it so I kind of passed over it, but you might find it worth reading about if you found the book at your library.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

These are the pickles that I make in the summer when I have a plethora of cucumbers. They aren't your normal recipe because they are meant to be eaten a day or two after they are made. In our house, they are all eaten within a week.

Kosher Pickles

1/3 cup kosher salt
    1 cup boiling water
    2 pounds Kirby cucumbers, washed (scrub if spiny) and halved or quartered lengthwise
    5 or more garlic cloves, crushed
    1 large bunch fresh dill (preferably with flowers), or 2 tablespoons dried dill and 1 teaspoon dill seeds, or 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
    Combine the salt and boiling water in a large bowl; stir to dissolve the salt. Add a handful of ice cubes to cool the mixture, then add all the remaining ingredients.
    Add cold water to cover. Use a plate slightly smaller than the diameter of the bowl and a small weight to keep the cucumbers immersed. Set aside at room temperature. Begin sampling the cucumbers after 4 hours if you’ve quartered them, 8 hours if you’ve halved them. In either case, it will probably take from 12 to 24 or even 48 hours for them to taste pickly enough to suit your taste. When they are ready, refrigerate them, still in the brine. The pickles will continue to ferment as they sit, more quickly at room temperature, more slowly in the refrigerator. They will keep well for up to a week.
    Last edited by over50newbie; 07-22-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JenWalker View Post
    Going to pickle some onions, gherkins and cauliflower this week.
    You are serving pickled Spam.

Thanks for the info all!

Quote Originally Posted by gobluem82 View Post
    These are my two favorites. I generally make these both as refrigerator pickles but have jarred them successfully as well.

CL's Bread-and-Butter Pickles (just made a batch last night!)
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/brea...0000001823338/

[/URL]
    I just wanted to give an extra vote for the CL's Bread & Butter Pickles. I had never made pickles until a few years ago and just thought this recipe would be easy enough to try.

Well it was easy, it was good, and I have made it several times since with good results...they don't last long cos we have gobbled them up in a short time!

Dill Pickles
    2 lbs small cucumbers
    4 cloves garlic
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 bay leaf
    1 bunch dill
    1/4 cup white vinegar

Sterilize a 1 liter jar.
    Place the washed cucumbers in the jar.
    Add the garlic, bay leaf, sugar, salt and vinegar.
    Fill the jar to the brim with boiling water.
    Add the dill to the top of the liquid.
    Seal.
    Stand exposed to the light for 7 days.
    Refrigerate after opening.

Microwave Pickles

A good friend gave me this recipe, and I LOVE these pickles!! I have added some red pepper flakes for a little extra kick and have thought about adding a sliced jalapeno, but haven't tried that, yet. My BIL likes adding a lot of extra onions, as well.

Microwave/Refrigerator Pickles

1/2 tsp. Salt
    1/4 tsp. Turmeric
    1/4 tsp. Mustard Seed
    1/4 tsp. Celery Seed
    1/2 cup Vinegar
    1 cup Sugar
    2-3 cucumbers, unpeeled, thinly sliced
    1 or 2 small or green onions, thinly sliced

Mix all ingredients except cucumber and onion in bowl.
    Mix cucumber and onion in separate bowl.
    Pour first mixture over cucumbers and onions; stir.
    Microwave 5 minutes on high. Stir well and microwave additional 5 minutes on high. Cool and pour into jar(s) and refreigerate. Pickles are ready to eat when thoroughly chilled.

LOL!!! That illustration is great!

That is a super cute cartoon! It's also an interesting method for making pickles- have you tried it?

This weekend I made two different kinds of pickles. First I made many batches of Kosher Dills from the book Pickles and Relishes by Andrea Chesman. This is my go-to pickle recipe, but they always come out pretty soft, so this year I tried adding pickle crisp to each jar. We'll see if that helps.

When I made the first batch I doubled the brine recipe (one recipe of brine does 2-3 quarts, so good for small batching), but then I added one more batch of brine to the pot to make sure I would have enough to fill the canner. With a full bushel of pickles to make, I wanted to get all 7 quarts in the canner at once. That worked out pretty close to perfectly. I always had a little bit of brine left at the bottom of the pot, and then I would add a double batch of brine for the next round and still have a little brine leftover.

Kosher Dill Pickles
    4 pounds cucumbers 2-4 inches long
    3 1/2 tablespoons pickling salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons mustard seeds
    3 cups water
    3 cups white vinegar (I increased this to 4 cups this year to see what it does.)
    6 bay leaves
    6 cloves garlic
    6 dill heads or 1 1/2 tablespoons dill seeds

Wash the cucumbers and remove the blossom ends.
    Combine the salt, mustard seeds, water and vinegar in a pot, bring to boiling.
    Into each hot, sterlized quart jar, place 1 bay leaf, 1 garlic clove, and a piece of fresh dill. Pack the cucumbers into the jars. Top each jar with 1 bay leaf, 1 garlic clove, and 1 piece of dill. (This is also where I added a heaping 1/4 teaspoon pickle crisp to each jar.) Fill the jars with the hot liquid, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Seal, process at a constant 180ºF for 30 minutes. Ready to eat in 2-3 weeks.

The second batch of cucumber pickles I made is a half-batch of a crocked pickle. These are Spicy Crock Pickles from The Joy of Pickling by Linda Ziedrich. I've never made these before, so they are completely new to me- as is the method. But they sure were easy! I hope they turn out- I plan to store them in half-gallon mason jars in our extra fridge long term when they are ready, as I think canning them will make them soft- which is something I'm hoping to remedy with this pickle recipe.

Spicy Crock Pickles- makes about 10 quarts

This recipe will fill a 3-gallon crock.

2 handfuls grape or sour cherry leaves
    About 12 pounds 3-5-inch pickling cucumbers, blossom ends removed
    2 tablespoons Mixed Pickling Spices
    1 garlic head, cloves seperated and peeled
    4 to 8 dill heads
    6 quarts water
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1 1/4 cups pickling salt

Line the bottom of a 3-gallong crock with half the grape leaves. Layer the cucumbers, spices, garlic and dill heads in the crock. Combine the water and vinegar, and dissolve the salt in the liquid. Pour the brine over the cucumbers to cover them, and lay the remaining leaves on top. Keep the leaves and cucumbers submerged by weighting them with a plate topped with a clean rock or a water-filled jar, or with a large food-grade plastic bag filled with additional brine and sealed. Cover the crock with a towel and store at room temperature.

Within 3 days you should see tiny bubbles in the brine, indicating that fermentation has begun. If a white scum forms on top of the brine, skim it daily, and rinse and replace the plate and weight or the brine bag.

The pickles should be ready in 2-3 weeks, when the pickles are sour and olive-green throughout. Skim off any scum.

Pour the pickles and the brine into a colander set on top of a nonreactive pot. Discard the leaves and spices. Remove the colander from the pot and transfer the pot to the stovetop. Bring the brine to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer the brine for 5 minutes. Skim off the scum that forms. Rinse the pickles with cold water and drain them well.

To store the pickles in the refrigerator, let the brine cool to room temperature. Pack the pickles into 2-quart or gallon jars. If you like, add fresh garlic, dill and spices. Pour enough cooled brine over the cucumbers to cover them well. Cap the jars and store in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.

For pantry storage, pack the pickles into quart or pint mason jars. Cover the pickles with the hot brine, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Close the jars with two-piece caps. In a boiling-water bath, process pint jars for 10 minutes, quart jars for 15 minutes. Or pasteurize the jars for 30 minutes in 180ºF to 185ºF. When the jars have cooled, store in a cool, dry, dark place.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Quote Originally Posted by mrswaz View Post
    That is a super cute cartoon! It's also an interesting method for making pickles- have you tried it?
    I haven't tried it yet because I have had a hard time finding pickling cucumbers this year. I keep thinking the recipe should be called - "Stabbity-Stab Pickles". Or maybe, "Psycho Pickles".