Community Message Boards

Thread: Costco: Frozen Fish results

Costco: Frozen Fish results

I usually only eat fresh fish because I grew up eating fresh, not frozen. Well, I was quite pleasantly surprised to find the taste and texture of Kirkland (the Costco brand) individually vaccuum-sealed pre-frozen servings of salmon to be quite tasty. They had a taste test in the store or I would never, ever have thought to buy them. They were quite good and the lady said she just baked them in the oven (which was a toaster oven!) frozen. She seasoned them with lemon pepper or something. Anyway, I bought a bag and they were very good. I still think the fresh is better, but these are handy to have in the freezer for days when I can't make it down to the store for fresh fish. It came in a blue bag in the freezer case and contains 7 portions of salmon individually wrapped for about $11. Just thought you'd like to know.

wow! thanks for the tip!

Living in the Midwest, I'm always wary of buying "Fresh" fish from the fish counter. I mean, let's be real. How fresh can it really be by the time it gets to Kansas?

I much prefer the frozen vacuum-sealed fish portions. They are processed right away (sometimes right on board the boat!) so to me that is the freshest way to buy fish, at least in the non-coastal areas.

Any thoughts/comments from other midwesterners?

P.S. The lady who works the fish counter at one of my grocery stores told me on the last date of sale (or thereabouts) for fish they either steam it and sell it cooked or wrap it and put it in the freezer case!

P.S.S. One other nightmare...at one grocery, I was checking out the vacuum-packed frozen fish. They were all thawed out but still in the freezer case. I went to the counter and brought it to the attention of the manager of the seafood department. He pointed to the lobster tank which was directly in front of the frozen fish display and said "I don't know why they keep moving that lobster tank over here." Apparently it had happened before and they just let the fish re-freeze! Yuck!
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

Funny you should mention bad fish in Kansas - the first time I even tried frozen fish was while living in Kansas! I also didn't trust the "freshness" of the grocery store fish there for the same reasons! And yuck was the frozen stuff I tried awful! Anyway, when I lived there, we didn't have acess to the vaccuum-sealed frozen fish that now seems readily available.

Costco & salmon

Remember that Costco got its start in salmon territory (Seattle). They wouldn't dare foist just any old frozen salmon on us!

I also think Trader Joe's frozen scallops, shrimp, halibut, etc. is quite acceptable, and my regular grocery has the best looking fish around.