Community Message Boards

Thread: How many beans in a can?

How many beans in a can?

OK, I don't actually mean the NUMBER of beans...but around here, you can only buy most kinds of beans in 19 oz cans. Most CL recipes call for 15 oz cans. So, does anyone know what a 15 oz can measures out to? (I.e., how many cups)? I know I've seen it somewhere before, but of course I never copied it down!! I'm trying to make a black bean soup and I have no idea how much to use.

Thanks in advance!

I find that some brands are 15 oz and some are 19 oz. When the recipe calls for a can, and gives the size, I don't bother measuring. I just use the can, regardless of oz. The little extra, or little less, really does not make a difference, especially if in a soup or chili.

How funny! Out of curiosity I went into the kitchen to check out my bean cans - the only one I have right now is a 14oz !!!

Like funnybone, I would just throw in the 19oz can - but I generally cook like that anyway.
    Alisa

Normally I would do the same. But I'm trying to follow Weight Watchers and having a lot of trouble doing it right now. If I use two 19 oz cans of beans instead of two 15 oz cans, I'll be getting an extra 8 oz of beans - and those have a lot of calories in them! I know that would throw off my points total for the day. I've always been bad about throwing in the extra, but I've had to cut back on that because it's really making it harder to lose weight. Something like tomatoes, I don't worry about because the extra calories aren't too significant.

Sorry Jen - I didn't think.
    A.

15 oz can = 1 1/2 cup

I use dried beans so I could recite this conversion in my sleep
    Last edited by Luiza; 10-29-2001 at 06:29 PM.

Luiza - thanks so much! I thought it was around there.

And Alisa/funnybone - no offense taken! I hope I didn't sound snippy. I'm having a bad food day (I want chocolate!!!) and I tend to get frustrated by not being able to just eat what I want...of course, who doesn't?

Thanks for all the speedy responses!!

I just looked at my cans of beans and they're ALL 15 oz!! Weird huh? But when I looked at the calorie content, 4 oz, which is the difference in your cans and mine, is 100 calories. Now I don't know what recipes you're using, but if you divide this between 4-6 servings we're not talking major calories per serving, somewhere between 17-25 per.
    If you're still concerned about it, drain your beans, measure them in a glass measuring cup and remove approximately 1/4th of them.
    Feeling lucky in this life.....

Originally posted by Jen
    If I use two 19 oz cans of beans instead of two 15 oz cans, I'll be getting an extra 8 oz of beans - and those have a lot of calories in them! I know that would throw off my points total for the day.
    I would think the extra fiber is worth the extra calories. But, since I have never been on WW, I really don't know what their point system is. Anyway, in the end, if a serving size is 1 cup or 1/2 cup, just scoop that amount into your bowl. The extra beans would be in the pot. That's the way I look at it.