Community Message Boards

Thread: can you freeze home-made pizza dough?

can you freeze home-made pizza dough?

I think you can freeze home made pizza dough, does anyone know the "rules"? (before it rises, after it rises?)

also what about yeast breads? can you freeze before baking?

I'd appreciate it. It would be great to double or triple the efforts and freeze for the future...it's such a lengthy process...

I'd appreciate any help......
    Susan

You can freeze the dough...

I always make the pizza dough recipe I got from
    a cooking light from sometime last year (Inspired vegetarian column) and I think it was maybe the July or June issue...

Anyway, the recipe yields enough dough for 2 crusts and I would always freeze the second one after kneading it but before letting it rise.

Later just take it out of the freezer and let it thaw and then it will rise when it thaws out.

Good Luck!

Jane

I freeze pizza dough all of the time! I make my dough in the bread machine, so when I take it out it has already done its first rise. I put it on teh counter, deflate it a little, and the I divide the dough up. I keep one portion out to use immediately and divide the rest. I like to take a quart size freezer bag (one for each portion I am going to freeze), spray cooking spray in it, and put the dough ball inside. Then I squish out the air, seal up the bag, and then kind of flatten the dough out so that it is uniform thickness. Then I stack the bags in top of eachother and put them on something flat in teh freezer so they freeze flat. I take a bag out the night before I plan to use it and let it thaw overnight in the fridge.

Here's another idea . . .

You definitely can freeze the raw pizza dough. When I do this, I do it the same way as FoodiewannaB. More often, though, I go ahead and roll out and partially bake the crust, then top with sauce, cheese, veggies, etc. (but don't finish baking) and freeze it that way. That way we can have homemade pizza instead of takeout on those nights when we are too tired or too busy to do anything else. I just take it out of the freezer and pop it straight into the oven (like you would a store-bought frozen pizza).

As far as freezing the yeast bread dough, I have never done this but I think it would work the same way. I have bought frozen bread dough before and it seems like it has already been through the first rising because all you have to do is thaw it out and let it rise one time. You might want to try doing that.

Claire

thank-you, thank-you

new to this web-site, I am finding all sorts of information, hints, reviews and recipes.....

Susan

For the first time a few weeks ago, I tried rolling out several smallish (12") crusts and then stacking them, separated by layers of parchment, in a Tupperware pie carrier. Popped them into DF's freezer in Philly so he can take them out, top and bake as desired. I haven't been there when he's baked any of them, but he seems to think they've worked really well.

Sounds like there are lots of ways to successfully freeze pizza dough!

yes, you can freeze bread dough - just like the great advice for the pizza dough. I usually freeze mine after the dough cycle of the bread machine or just after last punch-down for hand made. I freeze is in a ball or oblong shape, depending on what I want for the final product. You can either defrost it on the counter in the baking pan or overnight in the fridge. Good luck and welcome to the board.
    Anne

clairea - how do you store your assembled pizzas in the freezer? I would like to try this.

Thanks.

KarenM -- I used to just wrap them well with plastic wrap and foil and freeze them that way. Now that I have my new foodsaver, though, I vac-pack them. The only problem with doing that is that I make the pizzas on a 14" pan, and the widest foodsaver bag I can find is 11", so I cut the pizza in half, put wax paper between the two halves, and vac-pack it. It looks a little funny but since it is only for family I don't worry about it. I do partially bake the crust before freezing it, and then top it just like I would if cooking it right away (saute any veggies that we don't want raw, brown meat, etc.) but don't bake it before freezing. I don't thaw it out before cooking, but just put it straight into the oven from the freezer. Does that answer your questions?

Claire

Yes, thank you very much. I am going to try this for sure.