Community Message Boards

Thread: Spaghetti Sauce in the Crock Pot

Question Spaghetti Sauce in the Crock Pot

I'm planning to make baked Ziti tonight and wanted to try making my own sauce instead of relying on the store bought stuff (haven't found one that knocks my socks off yet and I'm sick of trying). CL had a sauce from their cooking class series that sounded good, but it needs to simmer for half an hour. I've also read posts here about how the longer the sauce simmer's, the better it is. Since I don't have the time tonight to wait for the sauce to simmer, I thought I would throw all the ingredients in the crock pot and let it slow cook all day. Does anyone else do their sauce this way? I'm worried that it will come out runny and bland (like almost every other thing I've tried to cook in that darn crock pot). I would love to hear your experiences of cooking sauce that way, or if you have a different red sauce recipe that is better suited for the crock pot I would love to have it for the future. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by valeriek; 11-05-2001 at 08:06 AM.

I often make a meat spaghetti sauce in the crock pot. It usually has whatever is handy in it--browned ground beef, onions, green pepper, celery, tomato sauce, tomato paste (keeps it from being too runny) and whatever spices strike my fancy. I have also made a pretty good spaghetti sauce in the microwave. Cook the ground beef first (if you are using it), then the vegetables. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste and cook for about 12 minutes--stirring it a couple of times. I think I actually have a recipe that I got from my mother, but I rarely use it--just put what I like in it.
    Michele

Garnett had long known. . . that God's world and the better part of daily life were full of mysteries known only to women.
    --from "Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver

I've made spaghetti sauce in the crock pot and it turns out great!

One thing to remember about putting spices in the crock-pot - they tend to lose their flavor, so you either have to add more of them, or add them toward the end of cooking time.