Community Message Boards

Thread: Jamaican Banana Bread

Jamaican Banana Bread

New member-my first post....Just got my Dec. issue and a letter to editor mentioned Jamaican Banana Bread from March 97 issue but a search on CL recipe finder didn't turn up a hit. Anyone have that recipe? The letter really made me want to try it. Thanks

If you do a search using the gray button above, you will find several threads that talk about this bread. It is one of my two favorite CL (actually, any) banana breads. The other is Banana Oatmeal. When I make the Jamaican, I use rum extract, and I don't make the topping (which sounds great!) b/c my family doesn't like nuts.

Anyway, here is the recipe that I copied from one of the threads:
    Jamaican Banana Bread

2 tablespoons stick margarine -- softened
    2 tablespoons tub light cream cheese -- softened
    1 cup sugar
    1 large egg
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup mashed ripe banana
    1/2 cup skim milk
    2 tablespoons dark rum
    1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
    2 teaspoons lime juice
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 cup chopped pecans -- toasted
    1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    2 teaspoons margarine
    2 teaspoons lime juice
    2 teaspoons dark rum
    2 tablespoons chopped pecans -- toasted
    2 tablespoons flaked sweetened coconut

Preheat oven to slightly less than 375º. Coat an 8 × 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.

Beat 2 tablespoons margarine and cheese at medium speed of a mixer; add 1 cup sugar, beating well. Add egg; beat well.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir well. Combine banana and next 5 ingredients (banana through vanilla); stir well. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition. Stir in 1/4 cup pecans and 1/4 cup coconut.

Pour batter into prepared pan; bake at 375º for 60 minutes. Let cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan. Let cool slightly on a wire rack.

Combine brown sugar and 2 teaspoons each margarine, lime juice, and rum in a saucepan; bring to a simmer. Cook 1 minute; stir constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons each pecans and coconut; spoon over loaf.

Serving Size: 1 slice

Source:
    "Cooking Light, March 1997, p.110"
    Yield:
    "1 loaf"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 188 Calories; 5g Fat (22.5% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 105mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Welcome to the CL Board!

Just wanted to add my "thumbs up" to this recipe, which is one of my favorite, tried and true CL recipes. Works great as a large loaf, or as mini-loaves perfect for gift-giving.

Thumbs up It's an oldie but a goodie...

Okay, so I'm sure many of you have tried this before and made it oodles of times, but I only got around to making the Jamaican Banana Bread last night (though I've been meaning to for ages - you know how it is)! It was moist and flavourful, and the topping makes it even better.

Recommended!

Natasha

I love the Jamaican Banana bread too - but for an equally yummy banana bread, in half the time and half the ingredients - Mom's Banana Bread is equally fantastic!

Thanks for reminding me

Wow, it was 1997 when that recipe was published? I remember trying it at the time and thinking it was great, even better than my "signature" banana bread that calls for two cups of sugar, two sticks of butter, four eggs and a cup of sour cream! If I remember correctly, it's the topping that really made that b-bread special.

I'll have to make it again soon -- my newly converted warehouse grocery store has bananas on sale during its grand opening this week. 5 lbs for $1.

I love this one too. Just made muffins out of it on Tuesday. Mmmmmm...

I'm with aliwally on this one....the Jamaican bread is nice, but Mom's is the bomb. (can't believe I actually said that ) Don't get me wrong, tho--- we DID like this recipe!
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

Shircon, welcome to the bb! I'm also new to the bb and already I'm addicted. It's the best!

I'm really clueless on "Mom's Banana Bread". Is it a CL recipe or heaven forbid! a boxed mix?

I'm new as well, and love this BB. I just found the recipe for Mom's Banana Bread (Cl recipe at the back of the 3/02 issue) this afternoon and bought the ingredients. I can't wait to make it... it sounds great! I'm sure I'll try the Jamaican Banana Bread eventually too.

Mom's is good, but the recipe below, posted by Catharine, is the best banana bread ever (lowfat or not)! It has received many, many stellar reviews on this bb!!

val

* Exported from MasterCook *

Epicurious Low-Fat Banana Bread

Recipe By : posted by catharine
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 large eggs
    3/4 cup sugar
    3 ripe bananas -- 1 cup smashed
    1/3 cup buttermilk
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    1 3/4 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2-inch pan; dust with flour. Using electric mixer; beat eggs and sugar in large bowl until thick and light, about 5 minutes. Mix in smashed bananas, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt over mixture; beat until just blended. Transfer batter to prepared pan.

Bake bread until golden brown on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Turn bread out onto rack and cool.

Makes 1 loaf.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 254 Calories; 3g Fat (11.9% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 51g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 47mg Cholesterol; 360mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES :
    Here, buttermilk replaces nearly all of the oil. Very ripe bananas give the best flavor.

Val, Thanks for sharing the recipe. Somehow, I must have missed this one. I think I will try it this weekend.
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart."
    Helen Keller

Inspired by the "What are you baking" thread (and a disinclination to turn on the heat during Saturday's cold snap -- I'll just bake and multi-task ) I dug out the recipe for Jamaican Banana Bread to use up some browning bananas. I'm hooked! Not only does this make an excellent breakfast, but a late night snack when I'm looking for somehting sweet that's not correspondingly super-high in fat. And while it was baking the kitchen smelled wonderful!!!

i love the jamaican banana bread! you must try it! a bit of a fuss for a banana bread with all the ingredients it calls for- but worth it!

I love the jamaican banana bread. It's just a little different and I love the lime. I've made it several times but it does not fit in my 8x4 pan. It's a very heavy " good" pan. I used it only the first time and it ran over. I use a 9x5 since. just a word of caution.

The Jamaican Banana Bread was delish...but could someone post Mom's recipe? Mom's Cranberry bread was WONDERFUL and I'm hoping the B-bread is from the same "Mom"!

tia

d
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tally
    Welcome to the CL Board!

Just wanted to add my "thumbs up" to this recipe, which is one of my favorite, tried and true CL recipes. Works great as a large loaf, or as mini-loaves perfect for gift-giving.
    Anybody know how long to bake this as mini-loaves?

I just got a new mini-loaf pan, four 5 by 3 inch loaves, just love it but wouldn't mind some advice about baking times.

Thanks!!

Re: Thanks for reminding me

Originally posted by JackieO
    Wow, it was 1997 when that recipe was published? I remember trying it at the time and thinking it was great,
    Arghhh...I was thinking the same thing...sure does not seem like it has been 7 years!

Anyway, big thumbs up here too! I love this banana bread...the topping really makes it.

editing to say: Welcome to the board!!
    Life is Good

I think this is the one you're looking for. Enjoy!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mom's Banana Bread

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breads Dec '96
    Miscellaneous

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup light butter -- softened
    1 2/3 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
    1/4 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
    2 large egg whites
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350º.

Combine sugar and butter in a bowl; beat at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Add banana, milk, sour cream, and egg whites; beat well, and set aside.

Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; stir well. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, beating until blended.

Spoon batter into 4 (5 × 2 1/2-inch) miniature loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350º for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Let cool completely on wire racks.

Source:
    "Cooking Light, December 1996, p.165"
    Copyright:
    "© Cooking Light"
    Yield:
    "4 loaves"
    T(Baking Time):
    "0:45"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 147 Calories; 2g Fat (11.6% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 6mg Cholesterol; 177mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : My mom's recipe was the model for this banana bread. My husband likes the new version so much we make it all the time—at least every two weeks. I think the miniloaves would be a perfect holiday gift.
    —Stacey A. Johnson, Arlington, Wash.

To make one 9-inch loaf, spoon batter into a 9 × 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; bake at 350º for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
    Yield: 1 loaf, 20 servings (serving size: 1 slice).
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 4111 0 0 3231 0 0 0 0
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard all the bull before.

Cheryl

Another enthusiastic vote for the Jamaican Banana Bread!! Love that recipe.

And, Shircon, welcome to the BB!

Peggy

Originally posted by Middydd

Anybody know how long to bake this as mini-loaves?
    Made this bread tonight, only change I made was to substitute butter for the margarine.

In case anybody else is looking for a guideline for baking in mini-loaf pans, (mine are 5 inches by 3 inches), they took 42 minutes to test done.

Excellent recipe.

Originally posted by Middydd
    Excellent recipe.
    Actually, today I'm finding the texture of this banana bread a little rubbery, not quite on the tender side. And I know I didn't overmix.

Anybody else get this effect?

Wink

I really love the Jamaican Banana Bread! Delicious and very "intoxicating"!!..Steph

Shircon, welcome to the board! (I'm pretty new myself...)

Just a note about the Jamaican Banana Bread -- if you don't like coconut, IMO, the bread is just as good without it. I've made it, with the topping, but just omitting the coconut completely. It was terrific...I love the lime flavor!

Thumbs up

I give a double thumbs up to the Jamaican Banana Bread. I give it as gifts, and it is always well-received.

I can't believe it was first published in 1997, either! Geesh!