Community Message Boards

Thread: arrowroot vs cornstarch

arrowroot vs cornstarch

I'm making a raspberry sauce for my cheesecake and the receipe calls for arrowroot. Can I use cornstarch and is the amount the same? Thanks for any help.

Found this on Cooks Thesaurus:

arrowroot starch = arrowroot powder = arrowroot = arrowroot flour Equivalents: One tablespoon thickens one cup of liquid. Notes: This starch thickener has several advantages over cornstarch. It has a more neutral flavor, so it's a good thickener for delicately flavored liquids. It also works at a lower temperature, and tolerates acidic ingredients and prolonged cooking better. And while sauces thickened with cornstarch turn into a spongy mess if they're frozen, those made with arrowroot can be frozen and thawed with impunity. The downside is that arrowroot is pricier than cornstarch, and it's not a good thickener for dairy-based sauces, since it turns them slimy. Arrowroot also imparts a shiny gloss to foods, and while it can make a dessert sauce glow spectacularly, it can make a meat sauce look eerie and fake. To use arrowroot, just make a slurry by mixing it with an equal amount of cold water, then whisk the mixture into a hot liquid for about 30 seconds. Look for it in Asian markets and health food stores. Both the starch and the tuber from which it's made are often called arrowroot.

Substitutes: tapioca starch (very similar) OR Instant ClearJel® OR cornstarch (Cornstarch doesn't impart as glossy a finish and can leave a starchy taste if undercooked.) OR kudzu powder OR potato starch OR rice starch OR flour (Flour makes an opaque sauce, imparts a floury taste, and can easily turn lumpy. One part arrowroot = two parts flour)

Sounds like it's an equal 1:1 ratio. Good luck!

I recentley ordered arrowroot from Penzeys and am amazed at how well it thickens without becoming "starchy" I used it to thicken a clear soup last week with much success and even used it to thicken a soupy chili last week. IMO it is great for clear sauces and gravy. Not sure if this solves your predicament but it sure is a nice "plug" for arrowroot

Sarah

Arrowroot also makes a perfectly clear sauce while cornstarch is translucent but not clear (is this clear?!?!)

You could substitute it with little chance of flavor compromise.
    Feeling lucky in this life.....