Community Message Boards

Thread: Need help quick! Caramel Whiskey Sauce didn't thicken

Need help quick! Caramel Whiskey Sauce didn't thicken

I just tried to make the Caramel Whiskey Sauce from Complete CL. Essentially, the directions say to disolve sugar in water and let it cook until "golden"--about 15 minutes. Then you're supposed to remove it from heat, and add some butter and cream cheese. This is supposed to be done carefully since the mixture will allegedly bubble vigorously (mine didn't!). Then, after the mixture has cooled slightly, you're supposed to add whiskey and milk.

1. I wasn't sure what "golden" was supposed to look like, so maybe I took the sugar water mixture off the stove too soon. I did cook it about 15 minutes, though.
    2. I experienced no vigorous bubbling when I added the butter and cream cheese.
    3. After adding whiskey and milk, my sauce is decidedly NOT thick. Not even sort of thick. It's tasty, but it just pours off the spoon.

So, should I heat this baby up again and see if it thickens up? Or will something horrible happen if I heat if after I've added the milk and whiskey. I know I would cook off the alcohol content and I'm fine with that, but would heating it up again ruin it in some way I haven't even considered?

I have a sauceless bread pudding sitting on my counter. Please hurry!!!

Thanks!

I don't know if I can be of much help since I've never made the sauce, I actually prefer bread pudding sauceless (and this bread pudding is amazing without sauce so don't fret if your sauce doesn't come out!) but if I had to guess, I would think letting the sauce cool down might help it to thicken - with butter and cream cheese it in, I would think it might set up a bit as it cools? But maybe that defeats the purpose of warm sauce if the sauce has to be room temp or cooler, I don't know. (It does sound like you didn't get it hot enough though - caramel can be so tricky.) Hopefully someone who has made this will chime in with some better advice - sorry!

Re: Need help quick! Caramel Whiskey Sauce didn't thicken

Originally posted by Robyncz
    I just tried to make the Caramel Whiskey Sauce from Complete CL. Essentially, the directions say to disolve sugar in water and let it cook until "golden"--about 15 minutes. Then you're supposed to remove it from heat, and add some butter and cream cheese. This is supposed to be done carefully since the mixture will allegedly bubble vigorously (mine didn't!). Then, after the mixture has cooled slightly, you're supposed to add whiskey and milk.

1. I wasn't sure what "golden" was supposed to look like, so maybe I took the sugar water mixture off the stove too soon. I did cook it about 15 minutes, though.
    2. I experienced no vigorous bubbling when I added the butter and cream cheese.
    3. After adding whiskey and milk, my sauce is decidedly NOT thick. Not even sort of thick. It's tasty, but it just pours off the spoon.

So, should I heat this baby up again and see if it thickens up? Or will something horrible happen if I heat if after I've added the milk and whiskey. I know I would cook off the alcohol content and I'm fine with that, but would heating it up again ruin it in some way I haven't even considered?

I have a sauceless bread pudding sitting on my counter. Please hurry!!!

Thanks!
    When cooking caramel, it's hard to rely on time as a measure of cooking. To make caramel, the sugar water should start to bubble until it gets thick and viscous and the color deepens. Keep your eye on it at this stage because the molten sugar retains a lot of heat and can turn from golden to burnt very fast. At this point you can remove it from heat and add your butter, cream, etc. If the sugar wasn't caramelized enough before adding the butter and cream cheese, I doubt you can just heat it up some more. I would think that the fat would burn in this case.

Hope this helps.

Rick
    www.sharingbox.com