Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I freeze tofu?

Question Can I freeze tofu?

I'm going back to school on Wed. (at night--plus work all day. Ugh!) and am on a freezing kick. I'd like to freeze the ingredients for a broccoli-tofu stirfry that I saw in one of the Moosewood cookbooks but am not sure whether or not I could freeze the broccoli and the tofu in the marinade or if tofu needs to be fresh? I'd appreciate any advice on freezing the stuff! Thank you in advance!

ps...In case anyone is interested,last night I froze a veggie lasagna, the spaghetti pie (substituting mushrooms for the ground beef), pizza dough, tomato sauce, and I made a batch of monster cookies--yum! Does anyone know if I can freeze the rest of the monster cookie dough? I seem to have made way too much and would love to just have it on hand for future cravings!

Originally posted by BethH:
    Does anyone know if I can freeze the rest of the monster cookie dough? I seem to have made way too much and would love to just have it on hand for future cravings!
    Most cookie doughs can be frozen. You can just roll it in a log, wrap with parchment paper and place in a freezer bag. I've done it with several different doughs with great success.

I've been on a freezing kick too. Pizza dough, the Fresh Tomato Lasagna, fresh herbs and some assorted other items are now awaiting me in the freezer. Isn't it great?

Sorry, can't really answer the tofu question. I know that freezing and thawing a block of tofu improves the texture, but I'm not sure about the marinade part.

Hey Beth-

I made broccoli and tofu stirfry a few weeks back, and froze the leftovers. The dish reheated much better than expected. It was actually very tasty!

I didn't do anything special...just tossed the stir fry(covered in marinade)into one of those ziploc storage containers (I am so addicted to those!) and Voila. That was it.

[This message has been edited by cookgirl (edited 08-21-2000).]

I freeze my tofu all the time. Freezing actually improves its texture and is recommended if you want your tofu to have a "meatier" consistency.

So - yes, feel free to freeze the ingredients for the stir fry!

Question

Should I cook the stirfry, then freeze? Or freeze it all raw and cook it when the time comes?

I'm thinking--cook the whole stirfry on the weekend and then I can freeze it already completed. Which brings up another question...do I freeze the rice with the sauce or in its own little bag?

Sorry about all my questions on freezing! Its all new to me! Working with school at night is forcing me to learn the art of freezing.

Beth - Yes, you can cook it before freezing. Just don't overcook the veggies because they will get naturally softer when you reheat them. If you like a crispier texture, then just /barely/ cook them.

My personal preference is to do the rice separately. It's more like the "real" thing when reheated that way. But, if you choose to put them together and then freeze, be aware that the flavors will meld.

Can I freeze a "cheesecake" made with tofu?