Community Message Boards

Thread: PF Chang's Kung Pao Chicken

Talking PF Chang's Kung Pao Chicken

Had my first meal at PF Chang's last week and it was AMAZING. I see several of you on here have been bowled over by the lettuce wraps. The whole meal was phenomenal. Anyone know where I can find, or have the recipie for their Kung Pao Chicken? It was fantastic. I have tried the CL Schezuan Chicken - that was fantastic. Not quite the same though!!

No Kung Pao but some other stuff....

Hi Kelly,

Kitchen Link has some PF Chang copykat recipes, but I didn't see Kung Pao Chicken. They do have the lettuce wraps and some other recipes though.

http://www.kitchenlink.com/copycat.html

P.F. CHANG'S LETTUCE WRAPS - Entrees-Chinese
    Serves Pick

Submitted by Dee

Ingredients: 8 dried shitake mushrooms
    1 tea. cornstarch
    2 tea. dry sherry
    2 tea. water
    salt and pepper
    1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken-minced

5 tab. oil
    1 tea. fresh minced ginger
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 green onion, minced
    2 dried small chiles (optional)
    1 8 oz. can bamboo sprouts, minced
    1 8 oz. can water chestnuts, minced
    1 pkg. Chinese cellophane rice noodles-fried in oil min. or two until puffed

COOKING SAUCE
    1 tab. hoisin sauce
    1 tab. soy sauce
    1 tab. dry sherry
    2 tab. oyster sauce
    2 tab. water
    1 tea. sesame oil
    1 tea. sugar
    2 tea. cornstarch

Iceburg lettuce cup leaves or other lettuce leaves

Cover mushrooms with boiling water and let stand 30 min., then drain. Cut and discard woody stems-mince mushrooms and set aside. Mix all ingredients for cooking sauce in bowl and set aside. In med. bowl combine cornstarch,sherry, water, soy sauce, salt and pepper and chicken. Stir to coat throughly. Stir in one tea. oil and let sit 15 to 30 mins.

Heat wok over med. high heat. Add 3 tab. oil, then add chicken and stir fry 3-4 min. set aside.

Add 2 tab. oil to pan-add ginger, garlic, chilis and onion. Stir fry one min. or so. Add mushrooms, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts: stir fry an additional 2 min. Return chicken to pan. Add mixed cooking sauce to pan. Cook until thickened and hot. Break cooked noodles into small pieces and cover bottom of serving dish with them. Pour chicken mixture on top of noodles. Spoon into lettuce leaf and roll.
    Instructions: see above

Another Chang fan here! No Kung Pao but here's another Chang recipe I found (http://www.gatewayno.com/Cuisine/rec...ngnoodles.html):

P.F. Chang's Cellophane Noodle Salad

8 ounces bean threads (a.k.a. cellophane noodles)
    pound cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp
    Julienned green onions, carrots and cucumber for garnish
    Chopped cilantro for garnish

For Dressing:

6 tbs soy sauce
    6 tbs rice vinegar
    2 tbs oyster sauce
    6 tsp chili garlic sauce
    3 tsp sesame oil
    2 tsp sugar

Soak bean threads in warm water until soft, about 15 minutes; drain, Cut into four-inch lengths. Cook in a medium pot of boiling water for one minute. Drain, cool and pat dry. Combine the dressing ingredients and toss with the noodles to coat
    thoroughly. Mound noodles on individual plates or a serving platter. Garnish with shrimp; julienned green onions, carrots and cucumber; bean sprouts and chopped cilantro.

Serves four.

I just looked at PF Chang's web site and no mention of the above salad on their menu. Hmm...maybe a flop they no longer serve or not a Chang afterall. Anyway, check out the web site: http://www.pfchangs.com You can download their whole menu and drool all day.

Its not PF Chang's recipe but I've become famous for it among my circle of friends and my SO requests it about once a week.

http://www.geocities.com/dana_vollme...es/recipes.htm

I would export it from Mastercook if I could figure out how....