Community Message Boards

Thread: Applesauce vs Oil

Question Applesauce vs Oil

I'm making a lowfat chocolate cake and the recipe calls for 1/2 cup vegetable oil and I want to substitute applesauce for the oil. How much applesauce would I need?

I just put up a topic on sugar cookies and someone suggested that I use applesauce instead of the oil to substitute the fat. However I wasn't sure if this would work in sugar cookies? Any help!

Originally posted by andreajackson:
    I just put up a topic on sugar cookies and someone suggested that I use applesauce instead of the oil to substitute the fat. However I wasn't sure if this would work in sugar cookies? Any help!
    I just made a CL recipe for oatmeal cookies that called for applesauce. Personally, I was not impressed. The cookies were very cake-like inside and got very moist on the outside. For muffins, they were pretty good, but I didn't really consider them good cookies!

I have recently started using ONLY butter in my cookies because I think the flavor and texture that butter gives is unbeatable. I am very skeptical that low-fat cookies are possible. One of the issues coming up (November?) will have a section on low-fat cookies and I'm hoping against hope that CL proves me WRONG!!! But, in my opinion, there's NOTHING that will ever take the place of a great cookie made with real butter....

Thanks for your reply. You said that you've used all applesauce and also 1/2 applesauce and 1/2 oil. Do you think one is better than the other, specifically in a cake mix?
    Originally posted by Beth:
    I have used applesauce for the oil when making a cake, and especially when using a mix for quick cupcakes to send to school. You use the same amount of applesauce as you would oil. When trying a substitution in a recipe, I sometimes use oil and applesauce half and half.

I have not used applesauce in cookies that I can remember, but I would think they would be okay in something like a bar cookie or a softer oatmeal cookie. I don't think it would work as well for a crispy cookie. If you want to try it, I would start with a partial substitution.

Smile

I usually substitute applesauce for oil in muffins, cupcakes, and cakes - especially if I am using boxed mixes. I never notice a different in taste or texture when I substitute. I'm not sure about using it in cookies though - never tried that.

I like to use lowfat (not nonfat) yogurt rather than applesauce when I bake. Applesauce seems to give baked goods a rubbery texture, especially when there is no oil at all. I also use a 1:1 mix of lowfat cottage cheese and nonfat yogurt blended in the blender; this is a great fat replacer.
    Don't use a food processor; it will break down the cottage cheese. If a recipe calls for 1/2 c oil, I usually cut it to 1/4 c oil and 1/4 c + 1 tbsp of the cheese/yogurt blend. This has worked very well for me so far!

I agree with lindrusso about cookies, but I like a shortening/butter combo because butter's flavor is good, but I don't like flat cookies and the shortening helps with that. I don't think I would use applesauce in cookies unless specifically called for. Muffins, breads, cakes and some bar cookies would be much better suited for applesauce. I do lots of baking and have done lots of experimenting and I like the yogurt/cheese blend the best.........

I have used applesauce for the oil when making a cake, and especially when using a mix for quick cupcakes to send to school. You use the same amount of applesauce as you would oil. When trying a substitution in a recipe, I sometimes use oil and applesauce half and half.

I have not used applesauce in cookies that I can remember, but I would think they would be okay in something like a bar cookie or a softer oatmeal cookie. I don't think it would work as well for a crispy cookie. If you want to try it, I would start with a partial substitution.

Originally posted by Shelly:
    I agree with lindrusso about cookies, but I like a shortening/butter combo because butter's flavor is good, but I don't like flat cookies and the shortening helps with that.
    Good point. Another tip for all-butter cookies is to chill the dough thoroughly before baking - the cookies won't spread as much.