Community Message Boards

Thread: almond extract substitute?

almond extract substitute?

Does anyone know a good substitute for almond extract? I want to make the cranberry-chocolate chip biscotti recipe tonight and am trying to avoid (another) trip to the grocery! Thanks.

I substitute vanilla for almond extract all the time, partially because I prefer a hint of vanilla over almonds in my baked goods. There will be a subtle difference, but should still taste yummy. You could probably even use a rum extract in those cookies.

Susan - thanks for the quick response. I thought of vanilla as well - the recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of almond extract and 1 of vanilla; guess they'll taste "really" vanilla-y! Maybe I really should run to the store (ugh!)

Almond extract? YUCK! I'd leave it out all together -- maybe adding in some extra vanilla. I'd think you could sub in most extracts that aren't citrus or mint.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

From Cook's Thesaurus:

"almond extract Notes: This is made with almond oil and alcohol, and it's especially good in cookies and cakes. It's potent, so recipes usually call for no more than a teaspoon. Bitter almond extract is even stronger. Substitutes: vanilla extract (use a bit more) OR almond liqueur (use 4-8 times as much) OR bitter almond oil (One part flavoring oil is roughly equivalent to four parts extract, but this may vary according to the products used. To be safe, begin by substituting 1/8 teaspoon of oil per teaspoon of extract, then add more drops of oil until you're satisfied with the flavor.)"

Ralph, you're a gem!!
    I was going to suggest Amaretto or similar liqueur ....
    almond is distinct, but vanilla wouldn't be a bad replacement, just totally different.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I love the smell of almond extract, but only as a fragrance for a perfume or bath gel. I once made an angel food cake with it, and it tasted like perfume or soap had been put into it.

whoops!

Thanks for all the comments back on substituting for almond extract. I was so intent on adjusting the amount of vanilla extract to compensate, that I forgot the baking powder! Of course, I didn't realize this until "after" my biscotti were already baking the oven. Some days it just doesn't pay to try and be adventurous - oh well, this gives me a chance to try it again. My disposal had a lovely power meal! I'll post again after I get it right.

Thumbs up Extract?

For the Almond I substitute Amaretto and for Vanilla I substitute, most of the time, Jack Daniels. Not that I am a big drinker but the Daniels' tastes so much better and you get a lot more for your money. I don't use it in all recipies but in about 98%. Comes out great!

Karen

I, too, always omit it. Love to eat almonds, but the extract leaves a lot to be desired. Always substitute with vanilla.
    One of the other reasons in the price!
    Curleytop

Jack Daniels for Amaretto?? That's a new one on me. Does it have a whisky taste?
    The term "working mother" is redundant.