Community Message Boards

Thread: Help...what can I substitute for rice vinegar?

Question Help...what can I substitute for rice vinegar?

Anybody know if there are any substitutes for rice vinegar? I have rice wine, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar...but no rice vinegar.

I would probably go with the rice wine, but it may be sweeter. Cider vinegar would be another choice. Rice vinegar is milder, so if you use a different one, you may want to use less (start with half) and then see if you need more to get the right tang.

I have cider vinegar, should I try that?

According to the Cook's Thesauraus, rice vinegar and rice wine vinegar are one and the same.

rice vinegar = rice wine vinegar

Notes: Rice vinegars are popular in Asian and they're sweeter, milder, and less acidic than Western vinegars. They're sometimes called "rice wine vinegars," but they're made from rice, not rice wine. Most recipes that call for rice vinegar intend for you to use white rice vinegar, which is used in both China and Japan. The Chinese also use red rice vinegar with seafood or in sweet and sour dishes, and black rice vinegar in stir-fries and dipping sauces.

Substitutes: apple cider vinegar (also add a pinch of sugar if you like) OR white wine vinegar OR 3 parts white vinegar + 1 part water
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt