Community Message Boards

Thread: How do you get a bundt cake out of the pan?

How do you get a bundt cake out of the pan?

Um, this is a little after the fact, but how do you successfully get a bundt cake out of the pan? Any advice will be appreciated for the next time I try it!

Thanks,
    Chrisi

Uh-oh, Chrisi! What happened?

I always put a plate on top of the pan and invert it- the cake slips right out. A good coating of cooking spray and a dusting of flour seems to do the trick to keep the cake from sticking. Also make certain to let the cake cool for several minutes in the pan- it will shrink away from the pan during cooling and be much easier to get out.
    If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Someone recently extolled the virtues of Wilton's Cake Release...

http://www.cookinglight.com/vbb/show...hlight=Wiltons

Julie,
    I did all of that. I greased the pan and dusted it with cocoa powder (chocolate cake) and let it cool for about 10 minutes. On top of it, it's a nonstick pan and I've only used it once or twice before. The top of the cake remained in the pan. It's for my mom's birthday tomorrow. Luckily we're not having a party. It's just for us and my mom and dad. So I'm just going to break it into chunks and serve it in bowls with the sauce poured over it. So much for presentation! But on the bright side, it tastes really good!

Thanks for that thread, Lisa. I hadn't seen that. I do have a fluted pan, I wonder if that was part of the problem.

I just say "Here Cakey, Cakey."

Well actually several of my richer bundt cake recipe call for sprinkling the pan with fine dried bread crumbs. Sounds gross, I know, but it works AND you can't really tell they're there in the finished product.

Just a suggestion!

Robyn

I must be doing something wrong...

I just spray my bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray (sometimes I butter and flour it) and it comes right out.

I do let it cool in the pan for about ten minutes, which may be an explanation.

Off the subject:

Try making popovers in mini-bundt pans - they're great!
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

Was it Eating Well's Died and Went to Heaven Cake by any chance? I remember several reports of the top of that cake staying behind in the bundt pan. I have not made it though. I do the same thing that others have mentioned, so I have no sage advice for you.

Chrisi,

Sounds like you did everything right! Can't think of a thing you could have done differently. So sorry the cake didn't cooperate for you.

Peggy

Chrisi -- sounds like your pan is fairly new? I ask because I had some odd bundt pan troubles --

For 17 years, I had a non-stick, fluted bundt pan that I used for dozens and dozens of cakes, and never, ever had a sticking problem. I usually greased and floured the pan and that did the trick.

Unfortunately, the bundt pan was one of the items that got misplaced during our move last year, so I ended up going out and getting a new one -- Nordicware, non-stick, fluted bundt pan. Used it to make a honey cake for Rosh Hashana -- got the same result as you -- top of cake in the pan. That had never happened before.

I made a spice cake in the pan, using a recipe I'd had for years, always with success. Top of cake stayed in pan. Served crumbs again.

Finally, I went through some stuff in the attic and found my old bundt pan Haven't used it yet -- but I'm wondering if there's something different about the non-stick coating on the newer bundt pans that's causing the problem? Sounds odd, I know -- but it's strange that two recipes that had always been successful in my old pan both flopped in the same way in the new one.

(Of course, the other thought is that the flops are were caused by the difference in ovens. I'd used the old pan when we lived in three different places, but they all had gas ovens. This house has an electric oven. But, other baked goods, in other pans, have come out fine.)

This probably doesn't help you at all. But wanted to let you know I feel your pain.

Helene

Maybe It's The Nordicware?

Originally posted by HRJ

Unfortunately, the bundt pan was one of the items that got misplaced during our move last year, so I ended up going out and getting a new one -- Nordicware, non-stick, fluted bundt pan. Used it to make a honey cake for Rosh Hashana -- got the same result as you -- top of cake in the pan. That had never happened before.

Hmmmmm. I have the same problem and my pan is Nordicware, non-stick fluted bundt too. I'm going to try Wilton Cake Release.

Re: Maybe It's The Nordicware?

Originally posted by claire797

Hmmmmm. I have the same problem and my pan is Nordicware, non-stick fluted bundt too. I'm going to try Wilton Cake Release.
    Claire and Helene,
    That's VERY interesting. That's the same pan I have! I've had it for several years, buy I think I've only used it once before. Maybe I should go out and buy a cheapie!

I once read in my favorite Pillsbury baking book that one should ONLY use shortening for greasing pans. I have done so ever since, and it works better than oil, butter or spray. Also, it does not leave any taste as the spray, oil and butter do. It does not alter the browning of the baked product either.

I always use parchment paper if possible, which of course is not with Bundt pans.

Am I the only one who can easily detect the taste and odor of cooking sprays and oils? They make me ill!

Originally posted by AD
    I once read in my favorite Pillsbury baking book that one should ONLY use shortening for greasing pans. I have done so ever since, and it works better than oil, butter or spray.
    Am I the only one who can easily detect the taste and odor of cooking sprays and oils? They make me ill!

I used butter. Next time I'll try shortening. I don't like the taste of cooking sprays either. I never use them. I remember a thread awhile back in which a lot of people said they don't like the taste of the spray.

I rarely have a problem with the cakes. I spray with cooking spray. Once the cake has baked, I let it cool for about 10 minutes. Then I invert it and let it cool completely. Once cooled, I take a knife and run it around the edges and center to loosen the sides. The I invert it on the plate and give it a shake. Sometimes a little piece gets left behind, but never a chunk.

Could it be the recipe, or is this happening all the time. Maybe the cake has overbaked too. Other than that, it's probably just hit and miss.

Just out of curiosity, is this the chocolate cake from Jan/Feb '02? I notice they call for a smaller pan and I was thinking of doubling the recipe, but not if I am going to leave half of it behind!

Just out of curiosity, is your bundt pan dark inside (brown) or just plain old light aluminum? I have a friend who has the dark interior on her bundt pan (I'm not sure if it's non-stick) but she has tried everything, including spraying with pam, and half the cake always remains in the pan. I lent her my pan and she just sprayed it, let it cool ten minutes and it dropped out of the pan no problem. I have never had a problem with my pan either. I have heard the same complaint from others who have the bundt pan with the dark interior. Just a thought.

Mine is a cheapie but works great and I've had it for yearrs and years (over 20 to be exact.)

I have the really heavy duty NordicWare bandt pan with the dark nonstick interior and have not had a problem with cake release. I've only used it about three times, but still...

My pan has a dark interior. The cake I made was Deedy's White Chocolate Bundt Cake with Raspberry Sauce, only I made it chocolate instead with raspberry chips. It was one of the best cakes I've ever had! I'm going to try it again using a different pan, or just bake it in a regular baking pan.

I have been lurking here for a long time, and thought I would take the plunge... I always just spray my bundt pan with cooking spray (no flour), and after baking, let it set for 2 minutes. That way there is still a little steam to help it release. Much longer than that and it seems to cool off enough to allow the cake to adhere to the pan again, or at least part of it. Never had a problem with this. I don't know what brand mine is, but it does have a dark interior.
    "live well, laugh often, love much"