Community Message Boards

Thread: Mr. Misto or Pam spray oil?

Mr. Misto or Pam spray oil?

I have been wondering what folks out in CookingLightLand use if they want to spray oil-- a Mr. Misto (or similar brand) spray container that you add your own oil to, or a commercial brand like Pam?

I used to use Pam exclusively, then switched to Mr. Misto. Now I have both in my cupboard, depending on the use-- Mr. Misto just doesn't cover as thoroughly as I'd like sometimes, and yet I don't like the funky smell when I spray Pam. Kind of fuel-y smelling.

I'd be interested in hearing what others out there use. I definitely like the convenience of being able to spray pans rather than grease them the old-fashioned way.

I tried Mr. Misto thinking it would be a great way to use any kind of oil that I had, but it didn't spray evenly or at all. Don't know what I did wrong, so it got relegated to the back of the cupboard and back to the commercial spray oils.

I hate spending money on Pam and Pam-like cooking sprays, when I have all the oil at home anyway. I have a Pampered Chef plastic pump spray bottle (a la Misto) that I keep olive oil in. It doesn't spray quite as nicely or evenly as Pam does, but it works fine for me. I've found it's important to wash the bottle and all the parts well from time to time, to keep away clogs. Also, the pump has to be well-primed. Then I get a better spray.

I have a PC sprayer with regular oil and one with olive oil. They both cover ok..not great...but I haven't had any problem with things sticking. I MUCH prefer knowing that I'm spraying exactly what's in the bottle of oil and nothing else. A long time ago, I read the ingredients on a can of Pam. Seems like there were several things I couldn't pronounce. I stopped using it.

Why bother with sprays at all? Much easier to upend your bottle of whatever oil onto a bit of kitchen papaer and wipe it round the pan.

My only choice is Mister Misto! I love the fact that you can use whatever oil you want, and you don't have that awful non-stick spray oil smell. The cookware I absolutely love, and use the heck out of, happens to be circulon. This type of cookware is actually ruined if non-stick sprays are used on it, so I have become a Mister Misto fanatic. I even gave them out as christmas gifts this year!
    Melinda
    Kindness is a gift that can never be
    given too often.

I keep Mazola Butter Flavor Corn Oil Spray (whew! What a mouthful! ) in my cupboard for just about every cooking spray need...but right next to it is the same stuff, but garlic flavored. We won't talk about the time I sprayed my brownie pan with garlic spray before I poured the chocolate batter in...
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I love to bake. After becoming a fan of Anne Byrn (The Cake Mix Doctor) I learned about oil sprays. I always wondered why my cookie sheets developed that ugly brown coating around the edges. I thought it was from frequent use. The Cake Mix Doctor claims Pam has alcohol in it and ruins your baking pans and cookie sheets. I bought a Misto dispenser and new cookie sheets. So far, so good. I also like that it doesn't have that nasty added alcohol.

Patti

Originally posted by Leonard
    I always wondered why my cookie sheets developed that ugly brown coating around the edges. I thought it was from frequent use. The Cake Mix Doctor claims Pam has alcohol in it and ruins your baking pans and cookie sheets. I bought a Misto dispenser and new cookie sheets. So far, so good. I also like that it doesn't have that nasty added alcohol.

Patti
    I don't know for sure if it's the alcohol, but you're right - it does leave a film/coating on pots and pans. Here are links to two old discussions we had about this: http://www.cookinglight.com/vbb/show...&threadid=8619
    http://www.cookinglight.com/vbb/show...threadid=11184

I use both; if it's a metal pot or pan, it's Misto. For glass or foil-lined pans, Pam is easier & quicker.

I keep both on hand. I tend to use Pam for cakes and desserts, and oil for everything else. However, may times I will put a drop of oil in the pan and absorb it spread it with a paper towel. I guess I am inconsistant.

Oh, never use Pam on Calphalon pots and pans.

I had a Mr. Misto; it was a piece of junk! Bought two PC sprayers (one for olive oil, one for toasted sesame) and they are better, but not by much.

I don't like the aerosol sprays, either. I haven't read the labels, but I'm sure there is some sort of propellant in there, and it doesn't smell so good...
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

P.S. For cookie sheets, I'm going to purchase Silpats this week. Will do away with that problem of overspraying the cookie sheets forever!!
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

Smile QuickMist Convert

I had a Misto and liked it enough to get my mom one. Well, hers is still fine, it sprays evenly, but mine only sprayed well for the first month. Then I read the comparison review in Cook's Illustrated and they raved about the QuickMist (which can be bought through William-Sonoma). After giving up on my Misto, I bought a QuickMist. I've had it for well over a year and it still sprays evenly. Love it!

--Kate H

Kate

Thanks for letting me know I'm not going crazy. I was going to reply earlier today because I was sure I had seen a CI review recently on the misters, and that the Misto had not performed well. I tried looking through the last year of CI as well as the on the website, but never could locate it.

So where exactly is the review? I thought that I had read it so recently that it must be either on the website, or from the Test Kitchen site, or in the Jan/Feb issue, but alas....the brain cells, they are dying rapidly. Help me satisfy my curiosity.

Hmmm. Looking back on your post, I see that you have had the QuickMist for over a year. I must have run across it on the website recently, but for the life of me I can't figure out where. I did find a mister review on the CI website, but it was for members only, and I remember reading the particulars about the kind of spray each made.
    Susan

So many books--So little time.

Susan --

The review was in the May 1999 issue -- it was called "The Battle of the Misters" and it accompanied an article on oven-fried chicken. In the review, the QuickMist even beats out Pam in terms of fineness of spray!

--Kate

Thanks so much. My subscription started in the middle of 99 so I don't have that issue. While going back to America's Test Kitchen to see if I could find it, I finally realized that I had been looking in CI's Best Recipes for their version of fried chicken, and there was a brief sidebar on misters on the next page (right by the recipe for—surprise!—Oven-Fried Chicken).

The really sad thing is that I was just reading this the day before yesterday because my daughter wanted fried chicken for her birthday yesterday. And I still had no idea where I had read it. Thanks for finally solving the puzzle for me.
    Susan

So many books--So little time.