Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cinnamon Rolls from Elementary School

Cool Cinnamon Rolls from Elementary School

OK, over the last year I have become addicted to this bulliten board. I spend time almost every Saturday or Sunday morning just browsing and almost always find some interesting thought. Thanks to everyone for their contributions. I have such fond memories of the cinnamon rolls I had in my elementary school. I realize part of it is childhood and the fact that they spared no butter but I have never found a cinnamon roll recipe that I really loved. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    "Accidents and inspiration lead you to your destination." - Mary Chapin Carpenter

You should check over on www.allrecipes.com. Their "clone of a cinnabon" is supposed to be really good. I wouldn't know. I love cinnamon rolls but I don't eat them.

I don't have a recipe, but DH and I were just discussing elementary school food this morning (we went to the same school, so we have the same memories). Anyone remember a dish called "Barquito?" And how everyone got so freaked out when the rumor went around that the hamburgers were really made from soy (I'm sure they used so as a filler) and then no one would eat them? The one thing I long for from elementary school is vegetable hamburger soup with a grilled government cheese sandwich. Government cheese is the best.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I haven't found my 'holy grail' cinnamon roll recipe, yet, but I'm still looking.
    I have found that making sure not to overcook them is key. You want them done, but not over done, so they're nice and soft in the middle.
    I've had good results just using a nice soft roll dough, slathered with a mixture of cinnamon, sugar and butter and rolled up to slice, tastes really good. Top it with a bit of confectioner's sugar icing, YUM!
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist

How about these?

Since I don't have time to make cinnamon buns from scratch, I love this one that uses frozen bread dough, pudding mix and nuts and rises on your counter overnight. In the morning, you just put them in the oven and voila! yummy cinnamon buns! It has been a staple for Christmas morning for years now. I can post if you want.

Re: How about these?

Originally posted by islandgirl
    Since I don't have time to make cinnamon buns from scratch, I love this one that uses frozen bread dough, pudding mix and nuts and rises on your counter overnight. In the morning, you just put them in the oven and voila! yummy cinnamon buns! It has been a staple for Christmas morning for years now. I can post if you want.
    Oh pppppllllllllleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeee post this recipe. I have such wonderful memories of my mom making cinnamon rolls every time it snowed when I was little.

Thx!
    Susan

Cool

Nashdude,

I am pretty sure I have a recipe for the cinnamon rolls served in the Los Angeles City School system many years ago (if you're looking for a school-system cinnamon roll). Of course, by the time you were old enough to remember them, I was probably already out of college! But, let me search my recipes and if it turns up, I'll try to post them on Sunday.

I have liked every CL recipe I have tried. I'm going to make one for a Valentine's Brunch. I'm not sure, but I think it is Make-Ahead Cinnamon rolls and I think it was from Dec. 99. I thought the pumpkin ones from this last fall were great too. Do a search, you might find some threads on these.

Here is my favorite recipe from a 1991 Cooking Light. I always have good results, and everyone who has tried them has loved them.

1 cup skim milk
    3 tablsepoons sugar (I use honey)
    1 tablespoon margarinr (I use butter)
    1 package active dry yeast
    1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 teaspoon salt (I use 1 teaspoon)
    4 cups bread flour, divided
    2 tablespoons melted margarine (I use butter)
    6 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I use 1/2 to 3/4 tsp.)
    1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
    1 tablespoon skim milk
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Heat milk over medium-high heat in a heavy saucepan to 180 degrees or until tiny bubbles form around edge. Do not boil. Remove from heat. Add sugar (or honey) and 1 tbsp. margarine (or butter), stirring until margarine melts. Cool until warm (105 to 115 degrees).

Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Add milk mixture, egg and salt; stir well. Gradually stir in 3 1/2 cups of the flour to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, keading until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes, keading in enough of the remaining flour to keep dough from sticking to surface.

Place dough in large bowl coated with nonstick spray or oil, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. (I prefer to refrigerate overnight.)

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 20 x 8 inch rectangle. (Mine is always smaller) Brush 2 tbsp. melted butter or margarine over surface of dough. Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle evenly over the dough. Beginning at a long side, roll up dough tightly, jellyroll fashion; pinch seam to seal. Do not seal ends of roll. Cut into 20 1-inch slices. (I get 12 to 16) Arrange slices, cut side up, in a 13x9x2 inch pan coated with spray or lined with parchment paper.

Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk. (I cover with foil and refrigerate overnight to bake the next morning) Bake at 350 degrees for 22 minutes. Combine powdered sugar, 1 tbsp. milk and vanilla; stir well. Drizzle over rolls. Yield: 20 rolls (141 calories, 2.3 g. fat)

Re: Re: How about these?

Originally posted by Susan

Oh pppppllllllllleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeee post this recipe. I have such wonderful memories of my mom making cinnamon rolls every time it snowed when I was little.

Thx!
    Susan

Are these what you are looking for?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Overnight Cinnamon Rolls

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : breads breakfast

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 package frozen dinner rolls
    1 package instant butterscotch pudding -- small size
    1 cup brown sugar -- packed
    2 tablespoons cinnamon
    1/2 cup butter -- melted
    1/2 cup pecan pieces

In a greased Bundt pan place half each of the frozen dough balls, powdered pudding mix, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and pecans. Repeat with the remaining amounts. Cover the pan loosely with foil, top with a clean towel and allow to sit overnight on the counter. The dough will defrost and rise overnight. In the morning bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Cinnabon imitations

These are not light, but they are our favorite cinnamon rolls! Watch them carefully in the second rise, they can over-rise easily--still yummy, but kinda floppy. If you do it just right, they're rich and fluffy. Great with Vietnamese or Cassia cinnamon! We also like them with just a powdered sugar/milk glaze.

Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls

1/2 cup warm water
    2 eggs, beaten
    2 pkg. active dry yeast
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    8 cups all-purpose flour
    1 (3 1/2 oz.) pkg. instant vanilla pudding
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    2 cups milk
    1+ cup sugar
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    1/4+ cup good quality cinnamon

*In a small bowl, combine water, yeast, and sugar. Stir until dissolved. Set aside.
    *In large bowl, make pudding mix according to package directions. Add butter, eggs, and salt; mix well. Add the yeast mixture; blend. Gradually add flour and knead until smooth and elastic.
    *Place in very large greased bowl. Cover and let rise until double (about 1 hour). Punch down and let rise again (45 minutes).
    *On a lightly floured surface, roll out to a 1/4 inch thick rectangle, 21 inches in its smaller dimension. Note: you may wish to divide the dough in halves and roll out two rectangles. You may have to partially roll it out, then cover it with a damp cloth and let it rest before finishing. Spread 1/2 cup melted butter over surface. Mix cinnamon and sugar together, and spread evenly over surface, leaving a 1-inch margin along one of the long edges. Roll up tightly, starting from a long side. Press together along the edge not covered with cinnamon sugar.
    *Slice at ~1 1/4 inch intervals. Place on greased baking pan, ~2 inches apart. Cover and let rise until double again.
    *Bake at 350oF for 15-20 minutes. Remove as soon as they turn golden. Frost warm rolls with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
    1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
    3 cups powdered sugar
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    1 tablespoon milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all ingredients, mix until smooth.

Re: Re: Re: How about these?

Originally posted by Molli526

Are these what you are looking for?

Overnight Cinnamon Rolls

Thank you!!!!! I am leaving to get the ingredients at the store right now! My children thank you too! YUM!

~Susan~

Cool

Bearing in mind that the cinnamon rolls served in California schools may have been nothing like those served in Tennessee, here they are. Interesting to note that they almost seem more nutmeg buns than cinnamon, as I remember them:

(Author's note: )It may be popular to gripe about school food, but Angelenos seem more inclined to praise it, especially the city school sweet rolls. They crumbled leftover cake to make the filling.

SWEET ROLLS

4 cakes yeast
    2 cups lukewarm milk
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 cup shortening
    1 large egg
    1 cup cake flour
    5 cups bread flour
    3/4 to 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
    1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
    Cake Crumb filling (recipe follows)
    Powdered Sugar Glaze (recipe follows)

Dissolve the yeast in lukewarm milk. Combine the sugar, salt, shortening, and egg in a mixing bowl and mix for 1 minute a low speed.

Add the milk mixture and mix for 1 minute. Add the flours and nutmeg and mix only enough to just blend, not more than 5 minutes.

Roll out to a rectangle shape. Brush with butter and sprinkle with the crumb filling. Roll up jelly-roll fashion. SLice into 1 1/2 inch slices. Place on greased baking sheets, cut side down, and pat out fairly flat. Let rise until doubled. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. When partially cool, brush with powdered sugar glaze.

Makes 17 to 18 rolls.

CAKE CRUMB FILLING
    1 cup plain cake crumbs
    1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Combine the cake crumbs, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and mix well.

POWDERED SUGAR GLAZE
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1/4 cup hot water
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix the powdered sugar with the hot water until smooth. Stir in the vanilla.

--

And just because you're looking, I'll throw these in from the opposite page in the book.

CINNAMON ROLLS

(Author's note) We have lots of requests for baked goods from Longhi's on Maui in Hawaii. After tasting their cinnamon rolls, we understood why.

1/2 cup warm water
    1 package dry yeast
    Granulated sugar
    2/3 cup milk, scalded and cooled
    Melted butter
    2 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    2 1/2 cups white bread flour, approximately
    1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
    1/2 cup raisins, plumped in water and drained
    Icing (recipe follows)

Combine the water and yeast, stirring until dissolved. Stir in 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes, or until the yeast begins to bubble.

Combine the yeast mixture, milk, 1/4 cup melted butter, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, eggs, and salt in a large bowl and mix well. Add the whole wheat flour and mix well. Add enough bread flour to make a semisoft dough (stiff enough to knead.) Knead on a floured board until smooth and elastic, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking.

Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Punch down dough. Knead briefly, then let it rest about 10 minutes. Roll out on a floured board into a large, thin rectangle about 23 x 14 inches.

Brush with about 1/4 cup melted butter. Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts. Sprinkle over the dough. Sprinkle the raisins evenly on top. Roll the dough into a cylinder shape as for a jelly roll, starting with the long edge. Seal the edges. Slice into 10 rolls.

Place, cut side down, on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until browned. Brush with butter. Cool slightly. Drizzle with icing.

Makes 10 rolls.

ICING
    2 cups powdered sugar
    2 tablespoons corn syrup
    Juice of 1 lemon or orange

Combine the powdered sugar, corn syrup, and lemon juice. Blend until smooth.

(From: Best Recipes from the Los Angeles Times)

Wow! So many different ways to be inspired! Thanks for sharing all these.

Anyone else got a favorite? TIA!
    Anna
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist

Thumbs up similar cinnabon recipe

I have made a recipe very similar to the one JKS posted...the cinnabon copycat recipe. I made a note to myself that I got it from allrecipes.com and that I modified it. don't know quite what I did to modify it though. can't remember.

anyway, my husband and I love this recipe and it is good for those of you who want to make use of your bread machines.

note also that only 21% of the calories come from fat.

Cinnamon Buns

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 12
    Categories : Breakfast

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 c lowfat 2% milk
    1 egg -- beaten
    1/4 c butter -- melted
    1/4 c water
    1/2 pkg instant vanilla pudding (yes, half a package)
    4 c bread flour
    1 Tbsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 1/4 tsps bread machine yeast
    3/4 c brown sugar, packed
    3 tsps cinnamon
    1 tbsp butter -- melted
    frosting:
    2 ozs cream cheese
    1 c powdered sugar
    2 tbsps lowfat 2% milk
    1 tsp vanilla

In a bread machine pan, place the milk, beaten egg, melted butter, water, pudding, bread flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Select the dough cycle.

When cycle is finished, remove the dough and knead for 3 to 5 minutes. Roll out to a large rectangle.

Brush dough with half of melted butter.

Mix the cinnamon and brown sugar. Spread 3/4 of the mixture over the dough. Spread evenly to edges.

Starting with the widest end, roll the dough into a log. Pinch along the long seam to seal.

Cut into 12 one-inch slices and arrange the pieces close together in a greased 13x9 pan.

Cover with towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about one hour.

Preheat oven to 350. Brush buns with remaining butter and sprinkle with the rest of the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until puffed and light golden brown.

While buns are baking, prepare glaze. In a small bowl, beat powdered sugar, cream cheese, and milk until smooth.

Remove buns from oven and drizzle with glaze. Serve warm.

Cover leftovers with foil and store at room temperature.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 345 Calories; 8g Fat (21.2% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 61g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 36mg Cholesterol; 191mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

OOOOOOOO BROWN sugar sounds good for the filling, valchemist. Is that 21 % fat figure with or without cream cheese frosting?

overnight buns

Sorry it's taken me so long to post this, but football got in the way --Go Pats!! Anyway. my recipe is very similar to the other one posted here,with just a few differences. For the sake of comparison, here it is:

Ben's Buns (from the Chinaberry Cookbook)

1/2 c. chopped nuts
    2 loaves frozen bread dough, slightly thawaed
    1 4.6 box Cook and SErve vanilla pudding (NOT INSTANT)
    1/2 c butter softened
    1 c. brown sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    2T milk

Grease a 9x13 pan. Spread nuts on bottom. Slice bread dough in half lengthwise and then into pieces about 1" thick. Lay dough on top of nuts in a single layer. In a bowl mix together pudding mix, butter brown sugar, cinnamon and milk. Spread over bread dough. Allow to rise overnight. For large fluffy buns, let them rise overnight on your counter (rather than in the refrigerator) covered with foil or plasatic wrap. In morning, bake for 20-30 minutes in a 350 oven.

Enjoy!!

Smile 21% fat

JKS,

the 21% of calories from fat does include the cream cheese frosting. you could even reduce the number more if you used light cream cheese.

valerie

All I have to say is YUM!!!!!!!! (okay there is more...) I made the overnight cinnamon rolls this morning and they were devoured!!!!! They were so easy! I will definitely make these again!

Islandgirl~ Thanks for posting your recipe too! I will print that out to try next time.

~Susan~

I stumbled upon this thread while searching for something else. But, yes, I admit it (head hanging in embarrassment) I'm a school cook/baker. Forget your typical cartoon/comedian's rendition of what school cooks are like - large, hairnet to the unibrow, mean, ugly, slopmaking hash slingers. I'm 5'2", weigh 117 lbs (thanks to CL) but, I have a cinnamon roll recipe that is quite popular in our area that we use in our schools - if anyone is still interested in this thread - I see it dates back to January.

Originally posted by yomomma
    I stumbled upon this thread while searching for something else. But, yes, I admit it (head hanging in embarrassment) I'm a school cook/baker.
    Hey! I think that job sounds quite fun! Although I do have that stereotypical image of the "cafeteria lady" stuck in my head. I think working in a school cafeteria or a small daycare kitchen would be loads of fun.

As for the cinnamon rolls recipe, post away!!! I'm sure there are lots of us who would love to try it.

Please post the recipe. You can't have too many options. Yours might be just the one someone will love the best.
    Sharon

We can always use a cinnamon roll recipe

I'm a school cook/baker.

YOMOMMA~
    I was a school cook/baker for 5-years and frankly, it was the best job I ever had . . . left for work after the children went to school, was home before they returned from school, had the same vacation schedule, and if the children were sick I just called in for a substitute. Probably the best part was I went to work, did a job, and left the job at the school, not taking it (the job) home with me as I've done since that time.

Linda~

TitlePending - you are sooooo right! It's a wonderful job to have w/ children. I started when my youngest began 1st grade (now in 4th). The pay is quite good and the benefits are the icing. The BEST part is - I get to COOK & BAKE and get paid for it! I do get frustrated though as I like trying new things and most of what we do is the same. Maybe when I promote up to kitchen manager I can make some changes - but it looks like it may be a few years b4 the current manager retires.

I will post the recipe tomorrow w/ today being Sunday and my recipes are @ work. Do ya'll want the original recipe, serving approx 350 or do you want me to scale it down? Maybe if someone could run it through mastercook we could have the accurate nutrition values while downsizing.

I've always wanted to make cinnamon rolls. Working with yeast has always been intimidating. Is it hard to do? Does it take a lot of time?

In rereading this thread after it popped up again, I now know where the 1/2 a container of pudding mix that I threw out when I was packing came from!!! Valerie - in case I haven't mentioned it elsewhere, your recipe is fabulous. Gina
    Change your mind, change your body

foodfeind, I think that working w/ yeast (often) is the #1 way to overcome the intimidation. I takes a while to get the "feel" of the dough. The good thing is, the ingredients are not expensive, however, the time spent can be. Just be sure that you are doing something else while you are waiting for the dough to rise. That way you won't feel like you blew the whole day on your experiment if it doesn't turn out the way you wanted. The humidity, temperature, your mood, & moisture content of the flour change from day to day, so you have to get to know your dough and what you're striving for. The time is well spent though, so, go for it!

Gina,

I'm glad you liked them. I haven't made them in a long time. They are a favorite in this house, so I will have to make them soon.

Val

I'd love to see the 'recipe for 350' version. (just curious, really, though it might be a good idea, since sometimes reducing recipes is a bit tricky.)

I still remember the fabulous rolls we had at our elementary school. Dripping butter, rectangular bits of heaven. Yum!
    Anna
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist