Community Message Boards

Thread: How do you use your Cuisinart?

Question How do you use your Cuisinart?

I just received a new Cuisinart for Xmas. I read the manual and understand the different ways you may use it, but I was just curious what other ways people benefit from using their Cuisinart. For example do you make cookies, cakes or pizza dough with it? Thanks for the input.

Lori

I've done 2 loaves of bread (kneading it)--mine is the 14 cup....
    I shred carrots for VERY quick carrot cake, shred bulk purchases of cheese and freeze for when I need it, make pesto (though a blender could be used for that), shred cabbage for cole-slaw, blend my tofu/pumpkin pie custard, pulse frozen cranberries to make relishes or to have chopped ready for breads/muffins, pizza dough is super fast....
    I'm sure there's tons more that escapes me at the moment.....
    curious to see what others do too
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I got one for Chistmas, too (11-cup). Somfar I've used it quite a bit for making dough (bread and pizza), and also for chredding cheese. I don't have a dishwasher, though, so sometimes I don't use it simply because I don't feel like washing all the parts.
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

How Do I Use My Cuisinart?

....as a big paperweight!

Actually. I really need to use it more often. I have it sitting on the counter, but I always pull out my smaller gadgets or chop by hand. I know it's a great tool and I should look for more ways to use it.

It's actually kinda funny... I bought my Cuisinart on a whim (extraordinarily good price), and figured that it would be just another dust-gathering gadget.

As it turns out, I use it all the time (at least a few times per week). I use it for pasta dough, grating veggies (carrots for carrot cake, and so forth), making tapenade, chopping loads of garlic (to feed my addiction), making pesto, and a host of other things as they pop into my head.

There is actually a remarkably low level of "dust-gathering" going on at my house

Re: How Do I Use My Cuisinart?

Originally posted by claire797
    ....as a big paperweight!
    well, my food processor is a Regal, but at least I'm not the only one who doesn't use theirs.

Mine's in the cabinet under the sink. I'm not sure why, but I don't use it unless a recipe specifically calls for it. Maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Mom got it for me about 15 years ago when I was just starting to cook on my own and she didn't want to invest in the cuisinart for me.

Maybe I should take mom's old cuisinart from dad...

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Like Claire and Leigh, I found I was using my big Cuisinart so seldom I took it off the counter and put it away in a cabinet. I only use it if I'm cooking for a party or a large number of people.

I ended up getting a mini-chop (Hamilton Beach, but I wish now I'd bought the little Cuisinart), which is perfect for the kind of cooking I do -- I actually find that it's often easier to chop by hand, and unless I'm really pressed for time, I enjoy doing it. For big slicing jobs, I've been using my Benriner mandoline; for grating, the Microplane zester/grater; for mixing, usually my KA hand mixer. I always do bread by hand.

I know the Cuisinart is a great machine and I'm glad I have it tucked away, but for just DH and I, it just didn't earn its counter space.

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

I dont' have a Cuisinart - I have a Kitchen Aid, but I use it the most for making hummus. DH has become addicted, and so we have hummus around a lot.

I used it recently to shred zucchini for a lasagna, which I haven't made too often because it took so long to shred the zucchini on my cheese grater. I use it for cheese (if I need to shred a lot) and for pureeing soups (made the Northwoods bean soup on Tuesday).

It's great - I wasn't sure about buying it because I had only made pesto in a FP (I borrowed my mom's when I needed one) but I am glad that I spent the $$$ on it. It's been a great addition to the kitchen! It was a little housewarming gift to myself

I love mine - it's an old 14-cup Cuisinart called the DLC-7. I even have a 9 or so disc completer set for it. But ask me if I can tell the difference between my 1 mm slices and my 2 mm slices!!

I use it for my Caesar salad dressing to ensure that the onion, anchovies and garlic cloves are chopped microscopically. It also gives my dressing (which is creamy) some "volume" for lack of a better word. My big use is to grate and slice vegetables (especially carrots) for anything I use vegetable for. When I come home with my weekly groceries, I tear and wash lettuce, grate carrots and slice red onions so I'll have easy to grab salad for the week.

I haven't used it for bread yet but I think I'll give it a try. I have a dough blade too.
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I have a 14 cup that was a Christmas gift 2 years ago. I think I've used it less than 10 times. But what I did use it for was to make bread, mix ingrediants for meatballs (I hate to touch raw meat), filling for spinach calzones, and the like.

Lately, I haven't been cooking much but I am finally starting to get back into it and I intend to put the Cuisinart to good use.

I took a class a while ago where the instructor gave a tip that I like. (She used to work for Cuisinart). She said to just use a paper towel between different foods to wipe out the bowl. Do onions or strong flavored foods last. This works for me as it's a pain to wash all the stuff when using it in a recipe.

I have 4 sizes of Cusinart's. The largest is the DLC-7 and the smallest is the (I think) a mincer. I use all of them ALL the time. Depending on what I need to chop, slice, grate or puree the quantity is how/why I use all 4. A couple of cloves of garlic, I use the smallest. For pureeing soups, as an example, I use the DLC-7. I have all the slicing, grating and julienne discs. I also have extra work bowls. I always buy blocks of cheese and grate only the quantity I need. For ambitious meals I often times have them all in use. I don't do a lot of baking but if I can use the processor I do. It saves sooo much time. There may be more cleanup but that's what the dishwasher is for.
    kef

For Everything!! The secret in getting use out of a Cuisinart is not to wait until a recipe says "food processor." I use it for any slicing, chopping, grating. I mostly use it for baking or anytime you would use a bowl and mix ingredients together -- butter and sugar; milk and eggs for a quiche or custard; ricotta, spinach and herbs for a lasagne filling; any kind of dip or spread. etc. I never use a bowl anymore--just do the whole recipe in the machine!

I've had my Cuisinart, the 11 cup model, for about a year, and use it even more than I thought I would -- for cutting butter into flour (for scones, biscuits, pie crusts, cobbler toppings, etc), slicing potatoes when I'm doing a pan of au gratin potatoes (it always took me forever to do it by hand and my slices were never uniform or thin enough!), making hummus and pesto, and shredding carrots or lg quantities of cheese (I still like to use my Microplane for small jobs). I think the key is leaving it out on the counter within easy reach -- if it was in my cabinet I'd probably be too lazy to haul it out on a regular basis.

I use my cuisinart for making pie dough!
    Curleytop

I received mine as a wedding gift, and have only used it for finely chopping/pureeing. I can't figure out how to make the other blades work correctly - I tried to use it to julienne some zuchinni once and I wound up with minced zuchinni. So mine doesn't get used that much, especially since I can chop an onion myself faster than the Cuisinart, and I now have an immersion blender for pureeing.

Any directions/tips would be really helpful - I didn't find the manual to be very useful, and I can't watch the instructional video since we threw it out when we got a DVD player!
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

I'm also the owner of a Cuisinart dust catcher. I used it at first for all my shredding, grating, etc. I find it just as easy to use my smaller gadgets, especially my mandolin slicer and the clean up is easier.

Cheryl

What I use my processor for most frequently is pizza dough. Put dry ingredients in the workbowl, pulse to combine, then add wet ingredients through the chute while motor is on. Let run 30 sec. or so, then turn out onto the counter, knead a few times, and let rise.

Pie crust... I use Mark Bittman's method, which combines the food processor (for cutting butter into flour) with stirring in water by hand. It is the only pie crust I have ever made successfully.

If I am only slicing or shredding small amounts of something, I will do it by hand. For large amounts, I use the food processor.

Pesto in the summer time! Salsa too.

I like finding recipes that use the food processor... sauces and dressings and some cookie doughs.

One thing I do NOT do is puree hot soups... one bad experience with that was enough.

All in all, I use my food processor 1-2 times per week.

Thanks for all the response, you have all really helped me put my Cuisinart to many different uses. Thanks for your time.

I use mine for many reasons, but one I did not see mentioned is for grinding meat. For instance, I had a sirloin steak in the freezer that I needed to use. I found a recipe that I wanted to try that called for ground sirloin. I cut the steak into medium size chunks and then used the food processor to grind it. Turned out perfect. No need to buy a grinder for my KA mixer!

Venison

Deb, I second that.
    My husband usualy gets a deer every year and processes it himself. I just take packages as I need them and grind them in the processor. It works well for very fine grind or a heartier grind.
    Jeanne