Community Message Boards

Thread: Asian Steamed fish with Vietnamese dipping sauce recipe- yummy!

Asian Steamed fish with Vietnamese dipping sauce recipe- yummy!

I made this last week for dinner, and we all really loved it, so I thought I'd post it for y'all. It is my DH's new favorite fish recipe. It is adapted from a recipe out of my Pike Place Market cookbook. In the recipe, it calls for a whole fish, but I used a filet of chilean sea bass. You could also use striped bass filet or salmon.

Steam baked Fish with Vietnamese Dipping Sauce

1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp freshly ground white pepper
    2 tblsp. low-sodium soy sauce
    2 tblsp. Mirin or dry white wine
    1 whole filet of sea bass (leave skin on!) about 1" thick
    4 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
    2 quarter-sized slices gingerroot, julienned
    6 green onions, white part julienned, green part cut into 1/4 inch slices. (reserve the green parts)
    1 tsp. sesame oil
    1/4 cup cilantro

1. Place a sheet of aluminum foil lengthwise across a baking sheet, extending foil 8 to 10 inches beyond ends of sheet. Place a second sheet of foil widthwise across baking sheet, allowing 8 to 10 inches on each side.

2. In a small mixing bowl combine salt, white pepper, soy sauce, and mirin to make steaming solution. Stir well.

3. Rinse the filet well, pat dry, and place the fish on the foil-lined sheet skin side UP. With a sharp knife, make 6-8 diagonal scores from top to bottom through the skin, about 1/4 inch deep. Pour the soy solution over the fish, then stuff the cuts with the sliced garlic, ginger, and green onion julienne. Sprinkle any remaining garlic, etc over the fish. Carefully fold sides of foil over fish to seal fish tightly. Let wrapped fish rest for 20 minutes in refrigerator.
    Preheat overn to 400. Place the baking sheet in the center of the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until flesh is firm and white, but still juicy. (this will vary with the thickness of you filet) then, remove from the oven and fold back the top ends of foil to expose the top of the fish. The foil will still hold in the juices like a bowl. Return fish to oven, and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until fish is cooked opaquely throughout. Remove fish and transfer to a platter, if desired, pour cooking sauce over the fish. Sprinkle the sesame oil over the hot fish, top with reserved green onion tops and cilantro. Serve with dipping sauce.

Vietnamese Dipping Sauce

1/4 cup Fish Sauce (nuoc nam)
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 Thai chile, seeded and minced (mine was a "fresno" pepper-looks just likea bright red jalapeno pepper)
    2 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice

Stir all ingredients together.

This is very hot, so use sparingly. We LOVED this and it made the fish really, really good.

I served this with Pan-fried Asian noodles and pan-seared baby bok choy. YUM!
    Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

- Phillipians 2

Paula, this looks wonderful -- It has "Emily" written all over it!
    I actually have that cookbook, but haven't used it yet (although I've had great fun reading it ). Have you tried any of the other recipes in there?
    "What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"
    By W. C. Fields

Browneye, that recipes looks great! I like your idea for sides also. Please tell me more about your pan fried Asian noodles. How do you cook them and what kind of noodles do you use?

Originally posted by emilycat
    Paula, this looks wonderful -- It has "Emily" written all over it!
    I actually have that cookbook, but haven't used it yet (although I've had great fun reading it ). Have you tried any of the other recipes in there?
    Yes! I have. The "Herb-Crusted Alaskan Spot Prawns with Warm Mushroom-Potato Salad" on page244 is DYNAMITE- with truffle butter. I cut way back on the butter and oil in that recipe, and it was still incredible. We used some fresh Morels in season that we found, but you don't have to use those if you can't find them.

Also- I have made the Spot prawn Wonton Salad, pg. 249-really good. BTW, I don't always use Spot prawns, as they are a short season here, so other good sized prawns will do.
    The Thai Curry Scallops are yummy-p. 234.
    Hot Honeyed halibut is great, on page 63
    Balsamic Glazed Salmon, on page 105 is very good.
    Salmon Cakes with yellow corn relish, page 116 is good.
    Hot Crab and Artichoke dip, pg. 185 is very good, but I don't make it often, due to the fat content, and I really don't think it tastes nearly the same with fake mayonnaise or lowfat, so it is a once a year-if that- thing for us.

I think that's all I have tried, but I have a list of gotta try outa this book including the Lobster Medallions and Couscous Salad with Ginger Viniagrette- I'm going to make that on DH birtday, which is Valentines day!

You should try something and report back! I'd love to hear from someone else who is trying the recipes out!

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

- Phillipians 2

Ooh, thank you! I'm going to take a look at that book for next Saturday night's dinner! And I'll be sure to report!
    "What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"
    By W. C. Fields

I'm seconding the request for the pan-fried asian noodles - they sound so yummy!

Leightx

Originally posted by deb
    Browneye, that recipes looks great! I like your idea for sides also. Please tell me more about your pan fried Asian noodles. How do you cook them and what kind of noodles do you use?
    Well, here is what I do- the basic concept was inspired by a dish I saw Wolfgang Puck do, but I modified it for myself.... It is really, really tasty and goes well with the fish dish.

Pan "fried" noodles

(they really aren't pan fried, really)

1 tblsp. vegetable oil
    3 tblsp. chopped garlic
    2 tblsp. sugar
    1 cup rice wine (mirin, again)
    1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
    2 1/2 tblsp soy sauce
    1 cup carrots, sliced diagonally
    4 green onions, sliced
    2 tsp. Vietnamese chile sauce (the one that is in the squeeze bottle with the bright green top) hot chili sauce! use less if you don't like it spicy!

12 ounces Chinese noodles (chow-mein style such as Rose brand or Marco Polo found in the Asian section of you supermarket)

In a large skillet, heat the oil, and saute the garlic just until golden, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the sugar, and saute 1 minute or until garlic carmelizes. Add the rice wine, rice wine vinegar, and soy sauce. Add the carrots and chili sauce and cook until the sauce is reduced by half. Meanwhile, boil the water to cook the noodles, and cook until they are al dente. (these noodles cook FAST- like 4 minutes) Drain, then stir into the pan with the sauce. Stir over low heat until sauce is somewhat absorbed by the noodles. Garnish with green onions and serve! 4 servings.

- Phillipians 2

aahh yes...the asain noodles recipe sounds really good! I have been looking for something besides rice to serve with an asian type dish. This is on my list to try ASAP. Thanks for posting browneye!

Exclamation

OH, BY THE WAY - I forgot to mention, when you eat the Asian fish- be careful of those sliced garlic pieces as they really don't have time to totally cook to "sweetness" therefore giving you quite a mouthful of ... well, strong flavor? I kinda eat around them! My dh actually eats the garlic slices, but it's just kinda overpowering for me. They lend a wonderful flavor to the fish, however, so don't skip them!

- Phillipians 2