Community Message Boards

Thread: substitution for red currant jelly?

substitution for red currant jelly?

I'm planning to make Monte Cristo sandwiches for dinner tomorrow night, from a recipe I had at supper club. The recipe calls for a dipping sauce that calls for (among other things) red currant jelly. I'd rather not add another condiment to the fridge door that is used for one recipe and then never again. Can anyone suggest a similar tasting substitute? (or, conversely, a use for the rest of the jelly?)

TIA

Raspberry jam works great for Monte Cristos.

I've also substituted raspberry jam in recipes for peach melba that call for red currant jelly.

What about peach or apricot jam?

Here's a link to an old thread on just this substitution: http://www.cookinglight.com/vbb/show...hlight=currant

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Plum jelly is nice, if you can find it.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I Highly Recommend the Red Currant jelly!

Hi Schuh,
    The red currant jelly has a very distinquent flavor.
    I really do not think you can sub the flavor. I JUST recently used it as a glaze for pork chops. It made the dish. I also have fixed the monte cristo sandwiches along time ago and wished now I had used the red currant jelly.
    It is well worth the couple of dollars, and I am already on my second jar. DH & I sub it for other jellies!! Buy it you won't be disappointed. IMHO.LOL

Carolyn

Re: I Highly Recommend the Red Currant jelly!

Originally posted by carolyn.1

The red currant jelly has a very distinquent flavor.
    I really do not think you can sub the flavor. Carolyn
    I have to agree with Carolyn. Raspberry is not quite the same. I have a wonderful chocolate cake recipe that calls for pouring 1/4 rum over each "straight from the oven" layer (on a cooling rack) and then glazing each layer with 2 Tbs. of red currant jelly that has been heated to a liquid state, before cooling and frosting. I think that glazing any cake (chocolate, vanilla, lemon, etc.) with currant jelly before frosting would be a nice, unusual addition, and would be a good way to use up leftover jelly.
    Connie

Thanks...

I got the red currant jelly after all. I remember I really enjoyed this recipe at our supper club and wanted to have it again.

Thanks to Ralph for the link. I usually do a search before posting queries but never thought this already would have been covered! Anyway, I'm definitely trying the Swedish pancakes!

I'll post a review on both.

Happy Valentine's Day to all, by the way.