Community Message Boards

Thread: Brummel&Brown -- no trans fats

Thanks for the web-site address! I love B&B, but stopped buying it because I considered it to be in the margerine catagory. I am very pleased to find out that that is not true.

Melinda
    Kindness is a gift that can never be
    given too often.

Has anyone else noticed that francini has started 2 threads promoting
    B & B products, and that her only other 2 posts are replies (sounding remarkably like ad copy) to the 1st thread she posted? And not surprisingly, there is no information at all in her profile.

Caveat emptor.
    Susan

So many books--So little time.

Sushi- thanks for the heads up. Vicky

Report her! Just kidding, she'll probably just go away now that's she's out of products to promote. It is irritating when people sneak on here with those motives though. Does anyone know what does happen when you "report" someone? I don't think that's ever happened has it? We seem to monitor our own halls very well, don't we?

When someone is reported...

I've seen two threads removed in the past month after they were reported.

The first was someone just trying to sell something, and the second was the very very rude person trying to cause trouble.
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Hmmm. I guess that's what that "Report this post to a moderator" is for. I didn't even think of that. I was going to report BB fraud on a separate thread, but then I was worried that perhaps I was jumping to conclusions, so I moderated my reply somewhat.

I just wanted to bring it to others' attention, because it was not real obvious that someone was promoting a product. I obviously spend way too much time on this board. And on top of that I have a suspicious mind. I'll go ahead and report it.
    Susan

You know... I can't say for sure, but I'm not sure about the non-trans fat claim. I could be wrong, but I thought I just read the ingredients at a friends house and noticed hydrogenated oils listed. I remember comemnting to her that we don't eat those if we can help it. I think it was Brummel and Brown, but I could be wrong, so read before you buy.

Kim

I stopped using B & B because it is "partially hydrogentated"
    which is worse than butter!

I thought so! Looks like francini has her facts a bit messed up.....

Was at the store just earlier and decided to look for myself. Hydrogenated oil is most certainly an ingredient....
    Just goes to show you, can't believe everything you read...... even on this usually knowledgable and helpfull board.
    Boos and Hisses to those who try to promote and pull the wool over our eyes
    Melinda
    Kindness is a gift that can never be
    given too often.

Now I am confused. I use Brummel & Brown, and like it, so I read the container. It does read "partiallyhydrogenated soybean oil." Then in the next paragraph in red it read "This Product Contains 0 Grams Trans Fatty Acids Per Serving."

Sushi,
    That was very good of you to point out the potential
    advertising. We don't want that to ruin the openess
    of this board.

I don't have any idea about what's in B & B, or whether it's any better or worse than any other margarine out there. I don't use it, but I don't spend a lot of time worrying about what's in my margarine either.

My only concern was to alert people to the fact that "francini" has recently joined the board, has only posted re B & B products, and has chosen not to include any personal information. None of these factors, by itself, would cause anyone to think twice; combined, they cause me to be slightly suspicious.

We often recommend products we like on this board, but I would be wary of someone who only posted about a particular brand, and not about anything else. You have to make up your own mind about what kind of fats B & B has, whether they're "good" or "bad," and what you believe about current theories regarding fats and their use.

Given that there is still some debate over what's good and bad, and given the fact that food manufacturers will put whatever spin they think necessary on their products to sell them, I say it's still a crap shoot. But I really don't like it when someone comes on this very friendly and accepting board in order to push a product. I was further incensed by the little smiley face that made the post seem so innocent.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
    Susan

Personally I like Brummel and Brown, (although I prefer I Can't Believe It's Not Butter). I looked at the Brummel package, it definitely says no trans fat per serving. I also went to the website Francini wrote about, some of the recipes looked really good. Whether or not Francini is for real, the product is pretty good.

Well, welcome to the board, Mike123. Your unbiased opinion is quite refreshing. We look forward to seeing many more posts from you, especially your recipes using B & B and ICBINB, both of which are manufactured by Unilever.

I would have sent you a PM welcoming you, but, alas, like francini, there is no personal information available for you, including the link to send you a PM.

It's so nice to know that this fascinating discussion on the merits of B & B has prompted you to join the board to weigh in on this very important matter.

I believe I'm becoming paranoid in my old age.

Cynically yours:mad:
    Susan

If the product contains partially hydrogenated oil, it must have some trans fats. But the amount of trans-fat in one serving is probably less than half a gram, in which case, they are allowed to round down to zero.

I hate to get too off-topic, but in some cases, it can be annoying trying to figure out serving sizes. It is sometimes hard to get the weight equal to the volume, especially when dealing with products that gain or lose water. All the rounding up and down on nutrition labels can also be a hassle, particularly when servings are small. If someone consumes several servings, who knows how many "rounded-off" calories or nutrients there are?

Enlightening! What do people use for spread? I use butter almost exclusively for baking. We use very little butter/margarine on things (like bread or veggies) so I hadn't given it much thought. So I happen to have Brummel & Brown sitting in the fridge. Do you just use stick butter for spreading? or is there some other softer product that doesn't have hydrogenated oils...

Kim

As soon as I stop laughing

Sushibones, I just wanted to barge in and say that I haven't looked at the B&B recipes yet, but I plan to, because I do use this product all the time! If I can stop laughing, I will, your last post has me in stitches..... Don't worry, if I find anything that looks good and tastes good, I'll make sure to use generic descriptions, like spread. You get the "eagle eye" award for catching this one.

A bonifide real person,
    Heidi

She Calls 'em Like She Sees 'em!

Sushibones, I love your candor

Another REAL BB contributor!
    Carolyn

a reiteration of AD: check the serving size!

The zero-gram count on the trans fats is almost certainly due to the serving size the manufacturer chose. I'd bet it's 2 tsp or 1 TBSP, and, as AD mentioned, the trans fat gram count rounds to zero (it's probably 0.49 g ). It's the same deal with the fat counts reported by the spray oils: there's little fat because there's little product in a serving.

Given a choice, one might prefer to just use a dinky serving of real butter or a truly trans-free spread in place of a dinky serving of B&B.

Do beware if you're using lots of this B&B stuff at one time -- the recipes on the website call for 1/2-cup or greater quantities. I also noticed that B&B has no problem including frozen whipped topping -- a bastion of bad fats -- in at least one recipe.

my 2 cents. thanks for sparking the investigator in all of us!

Susan, I wish I had your nerve! In response to Runnerkim's question, I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light as our bread and veggie spread. I cook exclusively with butter, but cannot justify spreading it on my bread when that ICBINB is just as good. It doesn't work for baking or frying, but it tastes good and works well for my cob corn and microwaved peas or corn! I don't THINK the ICBINB Light contains trans-fats...
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Jewel, ICBINB Light lists hydrogenated something or other. I use this one all the time. But, the fat grams on the container addup to what the total list is on the container. I suppose there are some trans. fats running through my arteries after using this, but if it is less than a gram or a 1/2 gram they don't list it. I did post something about this awhile ago, but after closer reading I saw the hydrogenated something. Moderation is the key is what they say. Vicky

Jewel, O great #1 poster

You can't believe my nerve? I can't believe my ears. That really made my day, oh fearless leader. Not to mention it made me LOL.

I seem to be on a crusade here. My complaint has never been with the products themselves; as a matter of fact, I use another Unilever spread (which I won't mention for fear of offering this "person" more free publicity for the products). My righteous indignation (hmmmph) has been that someone has joined the board and recommended a product in the guise of a disinterested personal opinion. francini's was slightly obviously; Mike123's was meant to be deceptive.

None of this has anything at all to do with the merits of the products mentioned. And unless you forsake fats altogether (which is not healthy, either), you have to make choices about what to use and how much to use. You can't put olive oil on everything (well, you could, come to think of it). I use olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, stick margarine, soft margarine, butter, and on occasion (GASP) shortening. It depends on what I am cooking or using it for. I do try to use them in moderation (except the butter and olive oil, both of which I love). But I do use them. There are hundreds of choices, but they all boil down to liquid, soft, or hard. Within those 3 categories you make the best choices you can, based on what's important to you for taste or health or price or convenience. And you try to make the most informed choice you can amidst vast amounts of scientific data, conflicting claims, and manufacturers' hype. It's a jungle out there, folks.

I'm still on the soapbox, aren't I? Sigh.

OK, I'll quit now. As long as some new first time poster doesn't try to convince me of the merits of some other product. Or this one again.
    Susan

Susan,

BTW, I did sneak a look at those "really good recipes" that Mike, who prefers ICBINB, spoke so highly of. If one can call those "recipes", that is,.....they were highly imaginative - put this spread on pancakes, put that spread on french toast. Definetely a gourmet challenge!! I know, I know, I looked, and naturally that was the aim of the whole post to start with. Ah well, there's a sucker born every day, but at least with you around looking out for the imposters I won't have to worry about falling for a unsolicited product endorsement too often.

Thanks!
    Heidi

Heidió

Ah, I'm glad you've seen the error of your ways. And since I didn't look, your evaluation of the site leads me to believe that sadly, my suspicions were probably justified. I was a little worried there for a while, but only a little.

And that's im-poster (long o).
    Susan