Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute for broiler pan

Substitute for broiler pan

I'm preparing flank steak for dinner tonight, but can't locate my broiler pan. (I don't even remember the last time I used it!)

Anyway, is it really necessary to use a broiler pan? The steak doesn't look that fatty. I was thinking about putting it in one of my stoneware baking dishes to broil it. Will that work?

If not, I'll drag out the charcoal grill. The temp. shouldn't be too cold for outside cooking today.

It will work. Honest.

I do not own a broiler pan and have managed to cook many-a flank steak without terrible consequences ensuing.

Your stoneware sounds like a great idea...

If you have high-quality, hard-anodized (no plastic handles!)cookware, you can also pop those into the broiler. I use my Calphalon grill pan all the time in very hot temperatures.

I'm not familiar with stoneware -- can't offer you any opinions on that!

Yummmmm ... flank steak ...
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Mom used to put a cooling rack on a cookie sheet and use that like a broiler pan.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I opted for the stoneware and found out the hard way that stoneware breaks when you put it under the broiler.
    I should have known.

The steak was saved- I finished it on a regular cookie sheet.

Thanks for the advice, anyway!

Well, now I feel HORRIBLE.

I would never have suggested using your stoneware if I knew that yours wouldn't work under the broiler! Mine is approved for direct temperatures up to 500 F... and I've managed to broil in mine without a problem.

So, I'm sorry.

Well -- I hope that your flank steak turned out delicious, in any case.

Lorilei-

Please don't feel bad. I had pretty much decided to use the stoneware pan, anyway. I collect the Pampered Chef stoneware, so that's all I use nowadays. I was more curious about the meat sitting in the fat than anything else.

It's my fault- I should have checked my instruction sheet.

- Vivian

a cast iron skillet would work great too.