Community Message Boards

Thread: How do you store muffins?

Question How do you store muffins?

I have this dilemma every time I bake muffins. Should I store them in a tupperware container, where they'll get too soggy, or leave them on a plate on the counter covered with foil? Or something else entirely? And to refrigerate or not to refrigerate?

I individually saran wrap them, stick them in a zip lock and pop them in the freezer. I pull one out in the morning and by the time I sit with my coffee, that muffin is ready to eat!

JeAnne
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

I do what JeAnne does, except I skip the saran wrap, and I don't drink coffee!

I find that muffins taste almost (emphasis on the almost) fresh-baked when they've been frozen and then reheated. I let mine thaw on the counter, or speed-thaw by putting it in the microwave for about 20-25 seconds. To make it nice and toasty, I pop it in the toaster oven for a few minutes at 350 degrees.

Ditto on freezing right away. Never wrap individualy. Sometimes use a large rubbermaid container...sometimes use a freezer ziploc.

heheh I don't want ya'll to think I'm anal o rama

I individually wrap because it's easy to then pop one in my bag on the way to work in the morning.

has nothing to do with the freezer per se !

JeAnne
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

My lil site:

Je-Anne...don't feel too anal...I do the same thing! Except I'm even worse - I wait for the no-name sandwich bags to go one sale (the ones with the fold over top) and put each muffin in an individual baggie, then freeze them in a Ziploc. Same reason - they're easier to toss in my bag and take to work that way.

Incidentally, I also do the same thing when I freeze chicken breasts, pork chops, etc. I split them into convenient packages (usually 2/baggie, since there are two of us) then put all the baggies in a Ziploc. I even do it with pork tenderloins - although it's a bit harder to fit a whole pork tenderloin into a little sandwich baggie!!

YAY MY SOUL MATE!!!

DH thinks I'm nuts, but I also do that with my meat It's then easier to just pull what I need for a recipe...especially because there are a lot of recipes where I halve etc..

JeAnne

My lil site:

I don't make muffins too much (I prefer breads and loafs) but when I do make them - they are stored in my DH's belly!!! None left over around here. He doesn't know how to have one or two. As for breads, he still eats it, but not as much as muffins.

Hey JeAnne and Jen!

I do the same thing. I wrap the muffins individually in foil, throw them in a freezer bag, then take one out every night to thaw for breakfast. In the morning, I toast the muffin a little in the toaster oven. YUM! Tastes great.

I always like to wait for the muffins to cool before storing in Ziploc baggies and freezing. That way, they do not "sweat" in the baggie, and they do not allow any heat to get into the freezer. I have to admit that when frozen and reheated the next day, they taste exactly as good as freshly baked. But my tastebuds aren't very sensitive to the taste of "freshly baked" foods.) If I make something with a lot of brown sugar or molasses, I actually like it better after sitting out a day (in a Ziploc baggie, of course).

I'm another freezer gal. Although I don't individually wrap .