Community Message Boards

Thread: Is there a substitute for corn syrup?

Is there a substitute for corn syrup?

Don't make me go back to the store!! I want to make Anzac biscuits tonight and have everything except the corn syrup. Any suggestions? Could I increase the brown sugar and leave out the syrup or sub white sugar and water? I'm such a whiner, I know.
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.foodsubs.com

I would think a simple syrup you make yourself would work out but, check out this site before taking my advice.
    "Feelin' Guilty
    For finding a Cheerio in my bra and then going ahead and eating it." Dooce

From www.foodsubs.com

corn syrup Notes: This is a thick, sweet syrup that's popular in America, but hard to find in other countries. Unlike other sweeteners, corn syrup doesn't crystallize and turn grainy when it's cold, so it's a good choice for frostings, fudge sauces, and candies. Baked goods made with corn syrup are moister and stay fresher longer than those made with sugar. There are two types: dark corn syrup is dark brown and has a slight molasses flavor, while light corn syrup is almost clear and has a more delicate flavor. The two can be used interchangeably in many recipes. Karo is a well-known brand. Store corn syrup at room temperature. Substitutes: golden syrup (Substitute measure for measure) OR honey (This is sweeter than corn syrup, but substitute it measure for measure.) OR molasses (Substitute measure for measure.)

Fabulous! And thanks to both of you for the link...I knew there had to be a website out there for that very issue.

I appreciate the help!!

Susan
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

Corn syrup is only HALF as sweet as sugar by volume, which means that it would take 2 tablespoons of corn syrup to get the sweetening power of 1 tablespoon of sugar. If you're using a lot of a substitute (sugar, honey, molasses, etc.), the finished product will be a lot sweeter.

I just made these over the weekend for the first time, but I'd waited so long because I could not find Golden Cane Syrup anywhere in my area! I finally ordered a can of Lyle's online and got it in the mail on Friday, and made these on Saturday. They're a wonderful cookie, but one of the reasons I waited to make these was because CL said they'd tried it using corn syrup AND Golden Cane Syrup and said the GC was so much better. After I bought the stuff online I did a search on this BB for Anzac Bisquits to get some reviews and tips and found many were making their own Golden Syrup! Cooking a Simple Syrup on the stove until it was golden...who'd have thunk it? When I run out of this stuff I'm going to try to make my own, because these cookies are keepers! I used my Tablespoon measure as a cookie scoop since they call for level TBS, and it worked well!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~