Community Message Boards

Thread: substitution for malt vinegar?

substitution for malt vinegar?

I looked at cook's thesaurus, and they mentioned using white or cider vinegar in place of malt vinegar, but does anyone know if the tastes are similar enough that it's a fairly decent substitute? I'm having trouble finding malt vinegar in our grocery stores (wouldn't it just be with the other vinegars?) and I would love to make the beer battered fish, but DH and I aren't big tartar sauce fans!

Cool

Yes, malt vinegar should be with the other vinegars. Would I substitute white vinegar? No way.

Cider vinegar, well.... for cooking, sure. On fish... er, um. Dunno...
    maybe...?

See, here's the thing. I've had some really BAD malt vinegar, too, so the question then becomes which is the lesser of evils-- a pretty good cider vinegar versus a bad malt vinegar? All I can say is let your tastebuds be your guide on that one.

Thanks Gail--I didn't feel comfortable substituting for the malt vinegar, but I wanted someone else's opinion. Now, next question--which brand of malt vinegar have you purchased in the past that was good? I'm heading to Atlanta this weekend, where I'm hoping to find malt vinegar at either Whole Foods, or a better grocery store than what my small town offers, so I'd love to pick up a good one!

I buy Heinz malt vinegar, and I feel pretty sure it was right there either with the other vinegars or near the Worchestershire sauce. If all else fails, you can go to Long John Silver's and "borrow" a bottle of theirs.
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

Cool

...like I'm an expert here...

The one I have in my cupboard right now is Norfolk Manor, which is imported from England, but is not the only brand I'd necessarily recommend. The only thing I WILL tell you is that the major American brands, in my opinion, do NOT necessarily make the best malt vinegar for fish. In my humble opinion, if you have a choice, I'd opt for an English one.