Community Message Boards

Thread: Help - Need substitute for frozen oj concentrate

Guest Guest

Help - Need substitute for frozen oj concentrate

I was about to start baking the Orange Pecan Bundt Cake from Epicurious for tonight's seder, but I don't have any frozen orange juice. The recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of the frozen concentrate. Do you think I could use fresh oj instead? Or is a trip to the store in order. Mandy

Is there any other liquid in the recipe? You could probably use more orange juice and then just lower the other liquid by the amount of juice you use (less the 3 tbsp, of course). You could also add some orange zest to the batter - this would give a more orangey flavor than just plain juice.

Cook's Thesaurus lists OJ concentrate as a substitute for Grand Marnier. So, I'm sure it'll work the other way.

"Grand Marnier Pronunciation: GRAHN mahr-NYAY Notes: This is a fairly sweet brandy-based orange liqueur. There are two kinds: the well-regarded red, or Cordon Rouge, and the sweeter and less potent yellow, or Cordon Jaune. Substitutes: Cointreau (Also an orange flavored liqueur. Not as good for sipping, but works fine for cooking.) OR curaçao (This is also an orange-flavored liqueur, but it's sweeter than Grand Marnier.) OR triple sec (orange-flavored, much sweeter) OR cognac (Not orange flavored, but it's a good substitute for sipping or cooking.) OR Chambord (similar quality, but raspberry-flavored) OR unsweetened orange juice concentrate"

Guest Guest
    Thanks for your replies. I ended up going to the store and using the orange juice. The cake is in the oven and smells delicious. I will let you know how it turns out tomorrow.