Community Message Boards

Thread: I need hair/styling products for humid weather!!

Exclamation I need hair/styling products for humid weather!!

I have stick straight hair, but in humid weather, it still gets frizzy (not curly, just unruly, unmanageable, poofy, you get the picture). It wasn't a problem in Oregon -- my hair always lay flat and smooth -- but tonight, I walked outside and thought I had stepped into a sauna! Now, it's all starting to come back to me...

Anyway, does anyone have recommendations for anti-frizz hair products that are tried and true??

Frizz-Ease

I can't remember who makes it, but I know Target sells it! I have thick hair with the ugly (not cute :mad: ) natural waves....otherwise known as frizz, but Frizz-Ease works great! Even in the humid St. Louis summers! Hope it helps.

Nima

I live in NC which is super-humid and grew up in SC which is also very humid. I have hair that gets frizzy and hard to manage in the humidity, so I have been dealing with this problem my entire life.

My hair is naturally wavy and can be kind of coarse if not blow-dried and/or if subjected to lots of humidity. I use a really moisturizing shampoo and conditioner to keep my hair under control. I just disovered Redken All Soft shampoo and conditioner and it has saved my life!! I have actually been wearing my hair down most days since I started using it. I'm not sure your hair-type calls for this kind of solution, though.

Another Redken product which may help you more than the All Soft is something called Glass. It comes in a tiny bottle and you squirt a drop on your hand and then smooth it all over your hair, particularly on the trouble spots. This is an amazing product!!! I know you can get some Redken products in drugstores, but I think you can only find the Glass in a salon. It really helps keep my hair from going crazy.

I hope that helps some. Before I started using Redken, my solution was a pony tail everyday. I'm not kidding.

I'm (sort of) with LauraB. Pulling it back is the best way to beat humidity. I'm in SC with all its humidity. I've already started complaining and we've really only had ONE day of the nasty stuff so far. I have shoulder-length stick-straight fine hair. I curl it every morning with the curling iron and almost pray the hairspray will hold until I get to work.

Why keep it long? I'm pondering that question right now. I'd like to find a cut that works for my kind of hair...but I'm terribly afraid of cutting it and being stuck with ONE look: *SHORT* flat stick-straight plastered-to-my-head hair with NO body. At least with long hair, ponytails, hairclamps/combs, or a French braid is always an option. :-) At least I'm guaranteed of variety with it long.

Sorry I can't help with any frizz products....but is pulling it up/back/wherever an option for those humid days????

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I'm a fan of the Frizz-Ease line too, especially the product in a spray bottle called Five Minute Manager blow dry lotion. Also good is the Corrective Styling Gel.

If you're more into home-made solutions, you might get a bottle of vitamin c powder and add a quarter teaspoon of it to your shampoo just as you're putting it on your head. (i.e., mix the blob of shampoo and the vitamin c powder together just before you put it on your head. Don't mix the two in the shampoo bottle.) If you try this method, use a plastic measuring spoon, not a metal one, and keep the rest of your vitamin c away from your shower. I keep my spoon in an old wooden soap dish near the tub and scoop a bit of vitamin c powder into the spoon just as I'm getting ready for my shower. That way I don't accidentally get the entire bottle of vitamin c damp. It has a slight detangling effect, and definitely helps with my frizzies.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One word: SILICONE

All those products, Frizz-Ease, Glass, etc. are all pretty much the same thing. Silicone. It works WONDERS! I particularly like Biosilk Silk Therapy, because it smells especially good, but really, they all work the same way and do the same thing. Get yourself some silicone!

Thanks, guys! I knew I'd find some suggestions here. I already use the Redken All-Soft shampoo & conditioner, so it sounds like I just need to add some silicone product to the equation. I'll pick up something this week. Thanks again!

Melman~it sounds like we are pretty much on the same page...I live in Central Florida, and love the days when the effects of styling my hair lasts throughout the day. I am growing mine out, because I'm tired of dealing with having hair that has it's own ideas! At least a longer style can be pulled back or up. Hats...I also do hats from time to time.
    I enjoyed seeing this thread...I'm going to try some of the suggestions made here. Right now I use Pantene products and really like them when humidity is low.
    sassysu3

I also meant to mention that I used to do the ponytail thing when my hair was long, but I've cut it short recently and it's too short to pull back. I've vowed never to cut my hair short again -- it looks so much better long and I have more options when it's long. I don't know why I go through stages where I feel the sudden urge to cut off all my hair, but I always regret it. :mad: At least I'm lucky in that it grows fast.

Well I personally like your hair the way it is. But when my hair was longer I used that Frizz-Ease stuff and it worked wonders (plus it smells so nice). You may also want to check into the Aveda line. They make this stick stuff called Self Control which works pretty well as a touch up for little impossible places.
    The way to become boring is to say everything.
    -- Voltaire

Aveda anti humectant should work well also, it is in their brilliant line and comes in a cobalt blue jar.
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Bumble and Bumble Defrizz. It's the best stuff out there for Texas weather, and I have tried them all. For me, Frizz-ease is too greasy, and Aveda Anti-humectant didn't work on my hair.

In Austin, you can get DeFrizz at Mint on Guadalupe, just East of Lamar.

Here's a link to the Bumble website - just click on products for more info!

www.bumbleandbumble.com
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

I'm a former west coast girl who learned just how much natural curl (er... frizz) her hair really had after moving to the humid east!

I like the Aveda Brilliance Purefume Anti-Humectant stuff (phew, what a name!). It comes in a cobalt blue glass pump dispenser and a little goes a long way.

I also use a Citre Shine anti-frizz product that I found at the drugstore. I love the Aveda but the glass bottle does not travel well. The Citre Shine plastic tube fits nicely into my toiletry bag for travel.

Edit: Oops, how did I miss that Peggy JUST mentioned the Aveda stuff??? Sorry!